Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 10, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #1,891 of 3,397
IMGP4683.jpg

So somewhere in the last 40 pages of this thread it must be that is mentioned that MkII/MkIII now ship with the 120Ohm resistor in place and that the EF95/EF92 jumpers are now micro switches, nice surprise when i opened it to check my gain switches.

Loving the MkII stock sound so far. Only about one hour on it thus far.

Just in case i ordered more of the stock tubes, cruel that David shoved them in 6H30 boxes! ;P

Jun 14, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #1,892 of 3,397
Hm i may have been a little quick there yesterday, saw some 6ZH1P and thought i try them even if they are not ruggedized and are not extended life.
I did not realize i ginored the 6AK7 towards the end of the listing title, i read the 6ZH1P, the ever so confusing 6J1P and EF95, ignoring the 6F32 and 6AK7.....
From the picture they look like my 6ZH1P-EV, down to the ridges in the glass, i guess i will find out which part of the description is accurate and which he messed up on, i will be wondering until they get here :/
Has anyone ever picked up those "6Zh1P/6J1P/EF95/6F32/6AK7 MATCHED PAIR TUBE VOSHOD 1976" from xryn?

I DID IT! I'M THROUGH

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #1,893 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by morfic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm i may have been a little quick there yesterday, saw some 6ZH1P and thought i try them even if they are not ruggedized and are not extended life.
I did not realize i ginored the 6AK7 towards the end of the listing title, i read the 6ZH1P, the ever so confusing 6J1P and EF95, ignoring the 6F32 and 6AK7.....
From the picture they look like my 6ZH1P-EV, down to the ridges in the glass, i guess i will find out which part of the description is accurate and which he messed up on, i will be wondering until they get here :/
Has anyone ever picked up those "6Zh1P/6J1P/EF95/6F32/6AK7 MATCHED PAIR TUBE VOSHOD 1976" from xryn?

I DID IT! I'M THROUGH

I'm pretty sure you are fine - those are the Russian EF95/6AK5 etc. If you google search you'll see a lot listed like "6J1P-EV / EF95 / 6F32 / 6AK7 Russian pentode tube"

Jun 14, 2009 at 4:30 PM Post #1,894 of 3,397
You are right, he is not the only one listing 6AK7.
He confirmed it's the ones i am looking for and said he would revise his listing.

Now i can go back to waiting on those, hope they sound close to the -EV version.

Picked up the Sovtek 6H30Pi-EH this morning too.

Those small shield Mullards just don't pick up a lot of bass, but at least they sound great with my D1001 i put on for kicks.
Listening to nothing but HD600 and MkV then MkII i hated the D1001 on my portable player. On the MkII i can not only tolerate them, i even enjoy them (until i go back to the HD600 after a song or two
wink.gif
)

Now i just need all the (cheap as in not sought after) drivers to come, see if any of them still offer something.
If not i'll stock up on "The Russians".
I don't want anything costing (much more) than $8 a tube.
wink.gif
i Broke the rule for the current 6ZH1P-EV, but it was a quick way to make sure the tubes get here before the MkII.
smily_headphones1.gif

This amp helped get the fascination with tube sound, it's like SS reproduces and amplifies digital sound too accurately, while tubes smooth out what is fed to them and allow for hours and hours of listening. Like getting a square wave vs a sine wave.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #1,895 of 3,397
Picking up 8 '68 russians for $15 and 10 '84 russians for $22 i think makes up a little for the $24 for 2 from yen.
I am basically just stock piling a good tube, all else will be to play around, but these russians are seriously nice.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #1,897 of 3,397
I bought 4 6n6p-i from a seller name alexer1 from Ukraine and I got a package with 4 green boxes inside today. At the side of the boxes it says 6N1n-EB in Russian. Are these the same as 6n6p-i????

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #1,898 of 3,397
What letters do the tubes have?

It should say: 6Н6П and a dash with a backward N (can't find the font for it)

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #1,899 of 3,397
The tubes I got are definitely not 6n6p. I compare them with my old 6n6p today and the size is different. They are a bit longer than 6n6p.Also the letters on the tubes are not 6H6n. It says 6N1n-EB on the tubes.
I have contacted the seller and sent some photos. He said he sent me wrong tubes and will send me the correct ones.

Jul 3, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #1,901 of 3,397
RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

While the above graph does not explain why i find the EF91 to be more well rounded compared to the EF92 Mullards, it does show that it does not have a higher distortion or much higher noise level.

Those experiencing distortion may need to consider some headphones that better suit their preferences?

SS == Small Shield
LS == Large Shield
The EF91s are CV4014 white box Mullards, no shield, KQDD/K

Jul 9, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #1,902 of 3,397
So I just won an ebay auction for some Ge 5-stars! I've had my eye on these ever since I got my MKIII, but like many did I vowed not to pay Yen prices any more (after a few pairs bought from him!). And recently he seems to have raised the price of his 5-Stars to $68 plus shipping! Ouch!

Anyway I won an auction for 3 GE 5-Stars (assumed NOS) for $15.50! Not too shabby! The only difference is the lettering - on most of the ones I have seen before the lettering is white... but on the ones I won it is red. Does anyone know the significance, if any, of this?

I'l let you know how they sound once I get a chance to burn in and listen... I'm pretty psyched!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #1,903 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just won an ebay auction for some Ge 5-stars! I've had my eye on these ever since I got my MKIII, but like many did I vowed not to pay Yen prices any more (after a few pairs bought from him!). And recently he seems to have raised the price of his 5-Stars to $68 plus shipping! Ouch!

Anyway I won an auction for 3 GE 5-Stars (assumed NOS) for $15.50! Not too shabby! The only difference is the lettering - on most of the ones I have seen before the lettering is white... but on the ones I won it is red. Does anyone know the significance, if any, of this?

I'l let you know how they sound once I get a chance to burn in and listen... I'm pretty psyched!
smily_headphones1.gif

I wait eagerly on your feedback.
For me in the moment the best tubes are 6H30-DR in combination with 6ZH1P-EV.

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #1,904 of 3,397
Just ordered MK III to drive my K702 and Grado 325i
Looking for some tubes for upgrading
Anyone has any experience with 6ZH1p-EV and Mullard M8100 (big shield) ?

6ZH1P will be from Yen for $24 + $12 postage -- Quite expensive
frown.gif

Mullard 8100 will be from Wen Audio for $30 + $10 postage
Significant improvement over stock tubes ? Worth buying it ?

Also, i cant seems to find many tubes on ebay (and its no as cheap as other people says)
frown.gif
where else can i get tubes for cheaper price ?

THanks a lot guys. Cant wait to get the amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 16, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #1,905 of 3,397
6Zh1P-EV (check ebay for 6J1P-EV) from a russian/ukrainian/lithuanian seller, you can pick up a lot of 8-10 for the same, or 2 for like $5 with $8 shipping.

If either are worth it over the tubes your amp came with, spec is GE5654?, is very subjective, i find differences between tube families like EF95 (like your stock tubes) vs EF92 or EF91 larger than between different tubes from the EF95 family for example.

Keep looking for the inexpensive deals, so you can afford to try a few before finding out what you like, i can't suggest one since my HD600 should sound quite different from your K702, and it's the K701/2 owners that complain about added noise/distortion on my favorite tubes EF91 Mullards, CV4014 white box stuff.

Enjoy you amp as is for the next ~40 hours.
Then see what you wish what was different on the sound (if anything), then ask if someone can suggest a tube that is heftier on the low end, has more extension on high end, better mids, more depth, then you can probably get some pretty good ideas on what tube to try next, even if we don't all own K702, we probably know which tube is which way different from the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back