Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jan 25, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #1,471 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by grammicci14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What tube numbers (Models)??
Noob Looking to get a MKIII but want to start on getting solid tubes off the bat.

This is, of course, my opinion, but I'd recommend you just learn the sound and feel of the MKIII with the stock tubes - which are quite "solid". THEN after burn-in start messing around with tubes. This is especially true if you are a noob. Fact is, to me anyway, it seems like a waste to automatically discard the stock tubes - if you want better tubes off the bat maybe you should step up to an MKIVse or something. The tubes are part of the cost, and were chosen carefully. As a new owner you should take the time to get used to the amp, to hear how it changes at it burns-in and to get a grasp of the stock configuration. Heck - you may be perfectly satisfied and not feel a need to upgrade (your wallet would thank you in this instance). But if you do, then you have a world of tubes to start looking at.

I guess another way to put it is that there's tons of fun to be had with this amp - you shouldn't be too eager to try and have it all at once!

Just my opinion of course... do whatever floats your boat - there are tons of reco's in this thread for great tubes!

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #1,472 of 3,397
Quote:Heck - you may be perfectly satisfied and not feel a need to upgrade (your wallet would thank you in this instance).
HA HA HA!!! Not likely as this is not this wouldn't be my first tube amp. I know the potential of a good tube roll and how Fun amps like this are!!! I just need to bite the bulet and jump in!!!

Jan 25, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #1,473 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by grammicci14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:Heck - you may be perfectly satisfied and not feel a need to upgrade (your wallet would thank you in this instance).
HA HA HA!!! Not likely as this is not this wouldn't be my first tube amp. I know the potential of a good tube roll and how Fun amps like this are!!! I just need to bite the bulet and jump in!!!

Ah ok ha. Was assuming when you said "noob" (and from post count) you meant you were new to tube amps in general. My bad.

In that case, may I recommend...

The Mullard M8161 (large shield) EF92 (so make sure jumpers are on or switches are in right position)
"The Russians" - VOSHOD 6ZH1P-EV - Great energetic sound, and still relatively inexpensive for matched pair.

I've also heard great things but not yet had the funds to try Tung Sol 6AK5W, GE 5-Star or Mobile Radio, and the Sylvania Golds everyone keeps talking about.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #1,475 of 3,397
^I think it all depends on how closely the tubes just coincidentally happen to be rated. I have a hand full of the stock style pre-amp tubes for my MKIII and they all seem to make for the same volume except for one. That one is slightly, but noticeably quieter. So, who knows. Maybe if you buy unmatched ones there won't be a problem or maybe you'll end up with one tube that quieter than the other, or has more distortion than the other.

Think of it like dual channel RAM for your computer. You don't NEED to buy packs that have the pair of sticks of RAM for dual channel to work, but if you buy two separate sticks that aren't EXACTLY the same in every way then the BIOS won't understand how to run them in dual channel and will be forced to run them in single channel mode.

Maybe you'll be fine or maybe you'll be screwed. Buying matched pair simply guarantees the proper functioning of the parts.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #1,476 of 3,397
mullard CV 138s (large shields) have the richest, most extended and textured sound I've heard in the Little Dot Mk3. It's also 4 DB louder than other tubes and have a biggest sound-stage I've heard thus far. I'm using these in conjunction with the stock power tubes.

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #1,478 of 3,397
okay, can we all set one thing straight - I'm confused. What are the stock power tubes of the MKIII? It was just mentioned that they are 6N6 but that link a few post back, to a post by Penchum, says that the MKIII's stock power tubes are 6H6P-I.

So, which is it? If the stock MKIII tubes are 6H6P-I then there really is no need to ever "upgrade" them, type wise - just brand wise.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #1,479 of 3,397
My MKIII came with a pair of 6N6P or 6H6n (not 6N6P-I). I bought mine around April - May last year.

Jan 26, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #1,480 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by One Fan To Another /img/forum/go_quote.gif
okay, can we all set one thing straight - I'm confused. What are the stock power tubes of the MKIII? It was just mentioned that they are 6N6 but that link a few post back, to a post by Penchum, says that the MKIII's stock power tubes are 6H6P-I.

So, which is it? If the stock MKIII tubes are 6H6P-I then there really is no need to ever "upgrade" them, type wise - just brand wise.

Along those lines - I've lost track of which tubes were stock
confused_face.gif
oops... can someone tell me or point me to a clear photo so I can tell which are the stocks - I bought a few "lots" of tubes to try stuff out and that's where I lost track... thanks for helping to untangle my brain!

EDIT - sorry - talking about driver tubes in my case...

Jan 26, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #1,481 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottieB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Along those lines - I've lost track of which tubes were stock
confused_face.gif
oops... can someone tell me or point me to a clear photo so I can tell which are the stocks - I bought a few "lots" of tubes to try stuff out and that's where I lost track... thanks for helping to untangle my brain!

EDIT - sorry - talking about driver tubes in my case...

The MK III stock tubes are GE 5654's and the power tubes are 6N6P (or 6H6P)....some times you'll get the better 6N6P-I derivative but that's rare.

Peete.

Jan 27, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,482 of 3,397
Couple questions about my LD MK III (and my growing love for this fantastic tube amp). I run all my cans through them (see signature), but primarily my HD 580's, and secondarily my MS 1's. I've had the amp for a couple months and am ready to try some tube rolling. Looking to broaden soundstage, yet maintain warmth and depth and add more bass punch. Can anyone recommend some tubes (inexpensive) and where to start looking to purchase them. Also think I should get a second set of stock tubes for that day that's sure to come - any idea where I can also get them other than from original LD supplier. Geez, I love my amp!!
atsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #1,483 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MK III stock tubes are GE 5654's and the power tubes are 6N6P (or 6H6P)....some times you'll get the better 6N6P-I derivative but that's rare.

Peete.

OK that's what I thought... except mine must have been worn because I can't find any that are clearly those... oops. What should the markings look like? Maybe I can tell based on what little faded bit is left...

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #1,484 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple questions about my LD MK III (and my growing love for this fantastic tube amp). I run all my cans through them (see signature), but primarily my HD 580's, and secondarily my MS 1's. I've had the amp for a couple months and am ready to try some tube rolling. Looking to broaden soundstage, yet maintain warmth and depth and add more bass punch. Can anyone recommend some tubes (inexpensive) and where to start looking to purchase them. Also think I should get a second set of stock tubes for that day that's sure to come - any idea where I can also get them other than from original LD supplier. Geez, I love my amp!!
atsmile.gif

You should read back in this thread - even just to my post a few posts up. try the Mullard m8161. And try eBay Store - Yen Audio: Little Dot, 6ak5, Little Dot headphone amp - not cheap but top quality, usually matched, and great service.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #1,485 of 3,397
hi all
im new to the little dot tube family, having just recently bought the mkIII and loving it, i have a few noob questions that i want to ask:
im looking at yen audio, and i want to ask if i want to replace the stock tubes with Mullard CV131 / 6CQ6 Little Dot Amp M8161 CV4015 EF92 and 6H6P-I Little Dot Amp Power Tube Upgrade 6N6 MATCHED PR, do i just replace them directly? i read that with the ef92 tubes, you need to have the jumper on, i dont quite understand what is this jumper thing? how do i change the jumper setting? what do i need to do? and for the power tubes, i want to ask the same question, do i need to change the jumper? can i directly replace them?

many many thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back