Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Apr 25, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #3,346 of 3,397
If the 9pin to 9pin adapter is a socket saver, it should not change the pinout. You will need it to fit the larger octal adapters, if you don’t want to cut away the rings around the tube sockets on the amp.

Apr 26, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #3,347 of 3,397
No.
That 9pin to 9pin adapter should not be used; just the 6SN7 to 6CG7 adapter.

First off, thank you so very much for taking the time to go through my posts, look at the ebay listings and give me advice.

here's what i did.

i followed your instructions and removed the 9 pin adapter. I used the silvertones that i got from ebay ( since I love the sound from those in my dark voice ).
i used 2 headphones for my tests. the HD 6XX and hifiman 400i

With stock tubes in the back and the new 6hm5 from Yugoslavia , the sound is pretty good and i enjoyed the music with both the headphones.

with the 6sn7's in the back and the 6hm5's as the drivers the HD 6XX sounds pretty good and does not distort at high volumes, but has to be turned up to around 12 o clock to sound nice and loud enough ...
for the 400i, the sound is pretty bad overall and when i try to push it beyond 11 o clock it distorts totally and sounds horrible
It does the same thing for my monoprice M1060 headphones as well. Maybe that is due to them both being planar headphones ??

Anyway, I was hoping to use this amp for all my headphones, not just my 6XX's .

Also one last thing .. I really prefer my dark voice over this for sure. No contest... maybe it's because I know nothing or am doing something wrong or both....but my ears tell me that the dark voice is a better sounding amp

Thank you all for your help.
Gopal

May 3, 2019 at 8:02 AM Post #3,348 of 3,397
Hello, I just purchased an MK 3 from the Bay with 6aj5 and 6ZH1P-EV drivers. There is no jumper on the pins and I am wondering if it is alright to use it without the jumper as these tubes are in the 95 family. Thanks for any help!

Jun 6, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #3,349 of 3,397
Got some Mullard 8100s for my Mk3 which improved the sound overall, making it more musical, with the only issue being slightly muddier bass.

Then I swapped in some Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi Gold Pin power tubes, and while this cleaned up the bass, it also completely removed any impact from percussion instruments. You can certainly still hear them, but I don't feel them. Ultimately I prefer the OTK 6H6PI power tubes it came with (bought in 2009).

Does anyone have any power tubes they recommend for clean sound without sacrificing bass impact? Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #3,350 of 3,397
There's actually a special set of Mullard M8100's which had everything (bass, soundstage, treble, sweet mids) I've sold my Mk3 5 years ago and I regret it even now.
I don't remember the specifications, but I got my advice on this thread and they indeed sounded absolutely the best.

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #3,351 of 3,397
Apologies if this has been asked and answered : I did attempt to search through this thread, but its quite extensive
Just got a little dot mkiii, looking to get some tubes for rolling
Already got my hands on 6zh1p-ev voshod, and mullard m8161. I'm loving the voshods, haven't yet tried the m8161
I was considering getting some 6n6p-ir power tubes. I read that its probably worth it
I also can get my hands on some sylvania 6sn7gtb tubes

My question is: Do I need an adapter for the 6sn7gtb tubes?
If so, can someone link to the type of adapter I'll need?

Thank you very much

Jul 1, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #3,352 of 3,397
Apologies if this has been asked and answered : I did attempt to search through this thread, but its quite extensive
Just got a little dot mkiii, looking to get some tubes for rolling
Already got my hands on 6zh1p-ev voshod, and mullard m8161. I'm loving the voshods, haven't yet tried the m8161
I was considering getting some 6n6p-ir power tubes. I read that its probably worth it
I also can get my hands on some sylvania 6sn7gtb tubes

My question is: Do I need an adapter for the 6sn7gtb tubes?
If so, can someone link to the type of adapter I'll need?

Thank you very much
The best 6N6 tubes are the 6H30DR but they are very expensive and not worth it IMHO - the IR tubes are a very good choice and much lower priced.
I believe that this adapter is the right one for the 6SN7 tubes, but just check with the seller to make 100% sure:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pc-Gold-p...845222?hash=item2edfa84fa6:g:Fu4AAOSwxAxa0GLA

Aug 3, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #3,353 of 3,397
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilgello /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, I've just tried some different ef91 and they all sound terrible at high volumes (very distorted).

Jumpers are on, am I the only one getting this ?

Interesting, I have just one pair of EF91's (International). They sound distorted at modest and higher levels. I just thought I got a bad pair...

I've just found something interesting: I have a box of many different flavours of EF91 and having tried a few of the different types, all of them have the low end distortion reported here.
I decided to sell the tubes as they were no good to me but needed to test them. To save my littledot, I ordered a pair of socket savers. I tried them last night and strangely, the low end distortion has disappeared. I've now rolled EF91, CV4014, 6AM6, EF92, CV138, Z77 and W77 from various makes and none of them are distorting anymore. My favourite now has to be the CV4014. I hope that helps somebody. Next I'm going to try 6SN7GTs as power tubes just for fun.

Dec 26, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #3,355 of 3,397
Right, I Think I've discovered my ultimate valves for the LD II, After picking up a load of valves that were destined for the trash, I found a pair of CV1988s. (uk mil spec 16sn7gt made originally by Brimar) - I've been told they are 1940s made at the STC Footscray factory. I've used these with a 6SN7 to 6CG7 adaptor. The signal valve duties are performed by Mullard CV4014 blue bottles. I can honestly say that this is the best line up I've ever heard in my LD. Playing my usual test pieces, the sound is gin clear - open and spacious. Highs are precise, The lows are really detailed and the mids just wonderful. I've always been happy with my Sylvania 6SN7GTs but these.... oh my word. I can't believe how lucky I've been to get them. My only worry is how long they they'll last and would selling them get me a pair of serious cans instead? (My Favourite cans at the moment are vintage Beyerdynamic DT-440s from the 1980s) What do you guys think?
aaa0365.jpg
cv1988.jpg

Mar 28, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #3,356 of 3,397
Whoops thought I was in the big thread. ;D

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #3,357 of 3,397
Right, I Think I've discovered my ultimate valves for the LD II, After picking up a load of valves that were destined for the trash, I found a pair of CV1988s. (uk mil spec 16sn7gt made originally by Brimar) - I've been told they are 1940s made at the STC Footscray factory. I've used these with a 6SN7 to 6CG7 adaptor. The signal valve duties are performed by Mullard CV4014 blue bottles. I can honestly say that this is the best line up I've ever heard in my LD. Playing my usual test pieces, the sound is gin clear - open and spacious. Highs are precise, The lows are really detailed and the mids just wonderful. I've always been happy with my Sylvania 6SN7GTs but these.... oh my word. I can't believe how lucky I've been to get them. My only worry is how long they they'll last and would selling them get me a pair of serious cans instead? (My Favourite cans at the moment are vintage Beyerdynamic DT-440s from the 1980s) What do you guys think?
aaa0365.jpg
cv1988.jpg
What do you consider serious cans?

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #3,358 of 3,397
Tube rolling question for the MK3
- been reading a lot, want to try some 6SN7GT for power tube. I understand I would need a 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter.
- also read alot about the c3g driver tubes. I understand I would need a C3G to 6AK5 adapter.
I also read that because of the brass bands on the mk3, I would need extenders or socket savers.
I read that I would need the socket saver for the c3g (7 pin to 7pin).
Would I also need for the 6sn7gt??
Does the rest of my info sound correct?

Alot of suggestions with links to ebay for the various 6sn7gt and c3g , however, as they as old, the links no longer work.
Was wondering if anyone had any newer links to suggestions ?

Thanks in advance

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #3,359 of 3,397
I think that you need the small 7pin socket extenders to clear the tube bases from the rings for both the power and driver tubes. If you order C3g to 6AK5 adapters you could ask the seller for the dimensions and measure the inside diameter of the rings and see if it fits without the extender (the seller may list the dimensions as well).
Re the 6SN7 tubes the prices are all over the map - IMHO I don't think you need anything expensive - just look for an inexpensive pair to start with.
Just an example from a cursory look:
Here is a very good sounding pair of the RCA 6SN7GT with the horizontal heater wire. These are used but could last a long time still.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-6SN7G...547617?hash=item52208ecc61:g:go0AAOSwEtRdO3py
Specifically, what are you looking for re the links that are outdated?
If you are looking for C3g tubes you can sometimes find better buys on German eBay. I would not be afraid to buy used ones from a reputable seller since they are good for 10,000 hours.
There is a field for English translation or use Google translate:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/6-x-C3g-Sie...872549?hash=item1f15fcc265:g:S7EAAOSwUKZfVRsV
If you buy from Germany, insist on German Post (Bundespost) since it is much cheaper than DHL etc.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #3,360 of 3,397
Tube rolling question for the MK3
- been reading a lot, want to try some 6SN7GT for power tube. I understand I would need a 6SN7 to ECC88 adapter.
- also read alot about the c3g driver tubes. I understand I would need a C3G to 6AK5 adapter.
I also read that because of the brass bands on the mk3, I would need extenders or socket savers.
I read that I would need the socket saver for the c3g (7 pin to 7pin).
Would I also need for the 6sn7gt??
Does the rest of my info sound correct?

Alot of suggestions with links to ebay for the various 6sn7gt and c3g , however, as they as old, the links no longer work.
Was wondering if anyone had any newer links to suggestions ?

Thanks in advance
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...478967?hash=item1ce8c797f7:g:9N8AAOSwLydegidu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back