Little Dot MKIII Tube Rolling
Jun 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #2,866 of 3,397
I almost don't dare posting this, but I just got my order in from www.tubes-store.com in Russia. Order process was smooth and delivery took 10 days. I got a bunch of their ultra cheap 6J1P (6Ж1П) tubes and four of their 6N6P-IR power tubes. I just installed them. Oh my... I have been listening for months to the what-I-considered-perfect combi of Electro Harmonix 6H30PI-EV power tubes combined with my Mullard EF95's and now, I am just stunned by this el-cheapo alternative. The detail is a huge leap forward, I feel I can pinpoint by the micrometer where all sounds come from, it's just incredible. The highs are as crisp as it gets. The only downside is that on the bass, it is less good than the EH/Mullard combination. Still good enough, but the warmer, deeper bass of the EH/Mullard combination just isn't there. But who knows what will happen after hours of burn-in; now I am listening to them fresh from the box.

Anyways, above all, those 6J1P (6Ж1П) tubes are an absolute bargain, I am considering to order 10 more even though I don't need them, just because they are such a bargain... and thumbs up for the guys at www.tubes-store.com, especially Sergey who contacted me within hours of the order regarding the payment, helping me make the order process smoothly. Excellent service, guys!

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,867 of 3,397
I almost don't dare posting this, but I just got my order in from www.tubes-store.com in Russia. Order process was smooth and delivery took 10 days. I got a bunch of their ultra cheap 6J1P (6Ж1П) tubes and four of their 6N6P-IR power tubes. I just installed them. Oh my... I have been listening for months to the what-I-considered-perfect combi of Electro Harmonix 6H30PI-EV power tubes combined with my Mullard EF95's and now, I am just stunned by this el-cheapo alternative. The detail is a huge leap forward, I feel I can pinpoint by the micrometer where all sounds come from, it's just incredible. The highs are as crisp as it gets. The only downside is that on the bass, it is less good than the EH/Mullard combination. Still good enough, but the warmer, deeper bass of the EH/Mullard combination just isn't there. But who knows what will happen after hours of burn-in; now I am listening to them fresh from the box.

Anyways, above all, those 6J1P (6Ж1П) tubes are an absolute bargain, I am considering to order 10 more even though I don't need them, just because they are such a bargain... and thumbs up for the guys at www.tubes-store.com, especially Sergey who contacted me within hours of the order regarding the payment, helping me make the order process smoothly. Excellent service, guys!

Thats great its always fun to save a few bucks once in a while.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #2,869 of 3,397
I bought a LD MK III last week, and I am waiting to get my tracking number. The tubes that will be coming are the 5654 driver tubes, and the 6H6PI power tubes. I will be using the stock tubes with the amp for a good while.

While I'm waiting, I have been looking to add some tubes. I have a matched pair of GE JAN 5654W, a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, a pair of Tung-Sol 6CG7, and a pair of Tung-Sol 6AK5W/5654. I found a box of four NIB RCA 5654/6AK5 with black plates, but the seller is asking $52 per box. It seems the price is high, but when you break it down, they're only $13/tube. Would this be a good deal for $52, or should I pass.

This is my first journey into tube audio, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,870 of 3,397
please check out the other Little Dot tube rolling thread!There are far more superior tubes out there to be rolled and the user experience is you don't need matched tubes thats just for the seller to make more money. I fell for it in the beginning too, but be sure to read the last pages of the tube rolling thread : there are some great 6AKW posted there.

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2,871 of 3,397
I bought a LD MK III last week, and I am waiting to get my tracking number. The tubes that will be coming are the 5654 driver tubes, and the 6H6PI power tubes. I will be using the stock tubes with the amp for a good while.

While I'm waiting, I have been looking to add some tubes. I have a matched pair of GE JAN 5654W, a matched pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, a pair of Tung-Sol 6CG7, and a pair of Tung-Sol 6AK5W/5654. I found a box of four NIB RCA 5654/6AK5 with black plates, but the seller is asking $52 per box. It seems the price is high, but when you break it down, they're only $13/tube. Would this be a good deal for $52, or should I pass.

This is my first journey into tube audio, any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

I guess the default tubes are the 6ak5 ie the 5654 and the PH6P and not the PH6P-i but i may be wrong.

You have a good collection of drivers there let me know what you find the best.

I have the voskhods they just got here like right now the build quality is fantastic. I hope the sound follows.

I have the ef92 mullards and i am very dissappointed with them. The factory 6AK5 are so much better, but with a but loose low end.

Does any one have an imput on the different power tubes

The PH6P vs PH6P-i vs PH6P-ir

I got the IR ordered.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #2,872 of 3,397
I guess the default tubes are the 6ak5 ie the 5654 and the PH6P and not the PH6P-i but i may be wrong.

You have a good collection of drivers there let me know what you find the best.

I have the voskhods they just got here like right now the build quality is fantastic. I hope the sound follows.

I have the ef92 mullards and i am very dissappointed with them. The factory 6AK5 are so much better, but with a but loose low end.

Does any one have an imput on the different power tubes

The PH6P vs PH6P-i vs PH6P-ir

I got the IR ordered.

6N6P-IR tubes are very good power tubes you could also try the 6GU7 tubes as power tubes they are plug n play and cheaper but my best setup so far for LDMK3 is 6SN7 as power tubes but you will need adapters and C3G loctal tubes as driver and you will need adapters also this is the best setup i tried  so far for my MK3 amp and ive used all those tubes your talking about several years ago.if you want to learn more go to this thread and start reading from the end if you want the latest on the tubes we are using .See you there.                                                                                                            http://www.head-fi.org/t/563884/little-dot-tube-amps-vacuum-tube-rolling-guide/8415#post_11076866

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #2,874 of 3,397
The Voskhods got delivered today.

They are sweeeetttttt. Love the sound

What i dont understand is that why the EF92 Mullards sound so bad. They are rated pretty good.

Anyways. It took the Voskhods 1 month to get delivered and because of this delay i ordered 2 more pairs last night and this morning i get the tubes. So sad. !!

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,875 of 3,397
I agree the 6HM5 is a very good tube and they are cheap and remember one thing  Voskhods take 100 + to sound there best  here's a link for the 6HM5 if your interested 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-EC900-Lot-of-four-4-tubes-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-free-shipping-/251611916081

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #2,876 of 3,397
okay i have a problem. I get a slight variable noise in the right channel which goes away when i touch the amp or my laptop .. i have no clue what it is

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #2,877 of 3,397
  okay i have a problem. I get a slight variable noise in the right channel which goes away when i touch the amp or my laptop .. i have no clue what it is

Probably your tube on the right side that's microphonic i have a few of those to  make shure its that put it in left channel if noise is there its your tube usually if i dont touch it i dont here anything what type tube is it if you here the noise all the time dont use it 

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:01 AM Post #2,878 of 3,397
Probably your tube on the right side that's microphonic i have a few of those to  make shure its that put it in left channel if noise is there its your tube usually if i dont touch it i dont here anything what type tube is it if you here the noise all the time dont use it 

The thing is even after swapping the tubes the noise still is in the right channel.

I asked david for the same on ebay but no reply. Does anyone has an mail id where i can reach him.

But the same was not being observed with the 6N6P. Its only the IR that have the problem.

Now i think its the ground loop issue but the connection is grounded and still the problem. So i dont get it.

The noise is like in the video games when you go in a nuclear zone. The cat kat kat type i know its silly but thats how it is.

Did anyone had the same problem.

Dec 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #2,880 of 3,397
Check all the screws in the amp make sure they are tight nothing is  loosed,Clean the tube pins,Try swapping the RCA input cable(left to right/right to left) 

Done all. It was the tubes. The old ones 6n6p. Are dead quite. The ir had the issue. Maybe matching problem. Byt even after swapping the tubes the noise was from the right channel. That was strange

It was like ground issues due to some tube shorting or EMI maybe but i am not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back