Little Dot MKIII Question...Gains
Sep 3, 2009 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,884
Likes
4,087
Location
Toronto, Canada
Hi everybody:

I was thinking of upgrading to a Little Dot MKIII Tube amp, but have the following questions:

1.) What kind of synergy does it have with the Sennheiser HD650?
2.) What kind of synergy does it have with the Grado RS1?
3.) As both headphones above are very different in terms of impedance, how easy (and how does one) change the gain settings. Is it a simple switch or two, or is it more difficult to toggle between them?

Thanks for your help!
 
Sep 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 8

El_Doug

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Posts
3,450
Likes
108
the volume knob should be more than sufficient. i've never heard of anyone not having enough gain with a little dot
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 8

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,884
Likes
4,087
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the volume knob should be more than sufficient. i've never heard of anyone not having enough gain with a little dot


Thanks for your answer. I am still a little confused, wouldn't you want the LOW impedance setting when listening to Grados and then the HIGH setting for Sennheisers? Is it cumbersome to switch between them as the DIP switches are on the bottom side of the LD AMP?

I am rather worried of too much gain and distortion with low impedance Grado headphones.

Thanks
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #5 of 8

El_Doug

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Posts
3,450
Likes
108
those are simply gain switches, afaik. the switches will simply add gain - not adjust output behavior.

since even the low gain setting has more than enough power for the Senns, there is no reason to adjust the switches
 
Sep 6, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #6 of 8

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,884
Likes
4,087
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
those are simply gain switches, afaik. the switches will simply add gain - not adjust output behavior.

since even the low gain setting has more than enough power for the Senns, there is no reason to adjust the switches



Excellent...so even the low gain can successfully drive HD650s.

So I can use the single low setting for both HD650s and RS1s.

How is the synergy of this tube amp with Grado headphones.
 
Sep 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM Post #7 of 8

NikZ

New Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 26, 2008
Posts
43
Likes
0
This thread at little-dot forum explains which gain setting to use to suit your headphones.

Viewing a thread - Clarification on Setting Gain

I prefer low gain with the HD650.To me, the high gain with the HD650 produced bloated bass with a bit wider soundstage when compared to low gain setting.
 
Sep 8, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 8

MacedonianHero

Headphone.Guru Editor
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Posts
17,884
Likes
4,087
Location
Toronto, Canada
Quote:

Originally Posted by NikZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread at little-dot forum explains which gain setting to use to suit your headphones.

Viewing a thread - Clarification on Setting Gain

I prefer low gain with the HD650.To me, the high gain with the HD650 produced bloated bass with a bit wider soundstage when compared to low gain setting.



That answers it perfectly. Thanks! Actually I went with the Mapletree Ear+HD headphone amp. I thought this would be less prone to "upgradeitis" in the future.

Cheers!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top