Little Dot MKIII hums
Feb 27, 2014 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gary ocock

New Head-Fier
HELP

I have a new 15 hrs old Little Dot MKIII amp that has a hum. If I turn the volume  down I can still hear the hum. I sent a email to Little Dot, no response yet anyone here have any suggestions?  Thanks

Gary

Feb 27, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I can tell you what they will say, "Clean the pins on the tubes", there is some stuff called 'Deoxit' that they recommend . Personally I guess I was lucky, mine has worked perfectly from day 1 for over a year now.
You can also search on youtube, somebody uploaded a video of how to do it.

Feb 28, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Cool... looking forward to your results.
My earmax has always had a really low level ~60Hz hum.  its only a problem on black-silent passages.  I never thought to treat the tube sockets.

Mar 1, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #5 of 9
I think I narrowed it down to a audio tube. I discovered the hum was coming from one side (earphone). I then reversed the tube and the hum moved to the other ear. I reversed it again and it moved back to the other side. Looks like a bad tube.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Hi,

I have hums from Little Dot MKII only with EF95 valves. I have two MKII amps and the other one is ok with the same valves (I have many valves to test with as well, when I replace with next EF95 pair it's ok at first then the humming gets back) . Also the humming almost disappears when I touch the amp and gets worse when I put my hand in the air between the valves. When I switch to EF92 humming disappears.
Thx
Andy

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Hi,

I have hums from Little Dot MKII only with EF95 valves. I have two MKII amps and the other one is ok with the same valves (I have many valves to test with as well, when I replace with next EF95 pair it's ok at first then the humming gets back) . Also the humming almost disappears when I touch the amp and gets worse when I put my hand in the air between the valves. When I switch to EF92 humming disappears.
Thx
Andy

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 9
  Hi,

Thx
Andy

and I think maybe it's dirty ceramic sockets, not easy to clean them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back