Little Dot MK3 + Fubar IV SS amp question
Aug 16, 2011 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AirX

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I currently own a Little Dot MK3 + Fubar IV SS DAC/Amp set-up. The way I set them up is that my Fubar is used as a DAC using Coaxial directly from my computer sound-card. Then my LD MK3 tube amp is at the end of the chain to power my headphones. 
Recently though, I have heard read that for low impedence cans and Grados (I own the 325is), it is better to have a Hybrid Tube amp like the LD I+....

Sorry to say, I've already spent my money on the MK3 and I'm very pleased with it now but the thought of needing a Hybrid amp to bring out the best of my Grados is boggling me. So here came an idea, and that is whether I should swap my configuration so that I have the sound card feeding to my LD MK3's first and then use the Fubar IV SS as my amp....though the DSP will fall in-between the two amps which may not work well....

I'm quite a newbie, and just wonder if this is at all possible to do this and if it will actually make my configuration into a hybrid tube amp setup with better capability to drive low impedence cans and my Grados. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
AirX

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 3
Heya,

Considering how little, to no, amplification the 325's need/use, why bother? Just try hooking up to your DAC by itself, since it has a built in amp. That gets you off the tube. You can also play with gain on your Little Dot, flip it over, see those red switches, that's your gain. Check the PDF manual to see setting values. Set it for low impedance headphones (+10 gain). And try your 325's off a player like a phone or mp3 player of some kind you have. See what sound you're after. I use a Matrix Cube DAC/AMP and Little Dot MK III so that I can output from both at the same time, to two headphones, one on a solid state and one on the warm tube for two different sounds. Works great.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back