Little Dot Mk1+ Impressions
Nov 4, 2008 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Zombie_X

Headphoneus Supremus
Recently on craigs list I scored a new Little Dot MK1+ for $50 (along with some other crap i traded for it). I've read reviews of it here so I couldn't pass it up. So when I got to the guys house, He presented me with a little cardboard box with Styrofoam inserts with the Amp/AC Adapter/3.5mm Cable. I plugged my ipod in and found it sounds really good. I was surprised at how it surpassed the SQ of my AirHead. I was thrilled with it, so I forked over the dough and brought it home.

I've been listening to is for several hours and it has rally grown on me. I find the sound to be natural and smooth. Wow, can't believe I got it so cheap. I would pay full price for it.

Now enough talking and onward to my impressions.

TREBLE:
The treble seems to be very clear and full in sound. Sounds pretty good and is not too bright/under bright. Just the right balance.

EDIT: It does seem to be a bit lower than the headphones default treble response, but not much. This is really good if you plan on using headphones with tons of treble, I'm looking at you Gradoi. The best way for me to word this is like you lower the treble on an equalizer, but very slightly.

MID-RANGE:
The mid-range is also really good. It however does sound a little sub-dued. Quite similar to a little bit like you covered it up with something. This however isn't bad as it still sounds really good. Also I think the laid back feel of the MR pair well with Sennheiser cans.

EDIT: After listening to this section a little more, I find it seems to bring the MR up in my beyers a little bit. The MR sounds a little more pronounced now, so that's a good thing for me. But also seems to have a very slight veil to it. It's a little hard to hear it though.

BASS:
Bass is tight, well controlled, and not over exagerated. It's quite fluid and smooth, but it isn't as punchy as my Total AirHead. I find the bass just the right amount for rock/metal, but not for people who love rap/hip/hop. Still really good.

EDIT: Bass seems to be a little stronger than my AirHead, but by very little. Still pretty good though. Also, there isn't as much impact as the AirHead.

SOUND STAGE:
Whoah!! Sounds like stuff is coming from all around me. The sound is really spacious and airy. Overall very nice and makes you fell like you are in the middle of something.

EDIT:After more listening, it sound wide, but not as wide as my AirHead. This is good for people who like Rock IMHO.

Now I will try to do a burn in just for you guys, though I don't believe in it. I'll write back after it is done.

Nov 6, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 25
Yeah, it's pretty good, but I may change to OPA in it soon.

Also I added my updated impressions to the first post. All the updated parts are in BOLD text.

EDIT: I'm going to be posting a review very soon for this amp.

Nov 10, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 25
Nice review. Sounds like this would be a good combo for my grado sr-80, listening to metal for more than an hour on them can get pretty fatiguing. BTW, how long does it take to fully charge the amp and how many hours of battery life can you squeeze out of it?

Nov 10, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 25
As far as I can tell, the MK1+ does not have a socketed OPamp, judging from the pictures that I saw here.

the LME49710HA is not a for a DIP socket...

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Adam

Nov 11, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 25
Azathoth, I'm not entirely sure how long charging takes. I just leave it charge at night while I'm asleep. I think it would work well with the SR-80's since I know Grado cans tend to be skewed in the higher frequencies. Look around on ebay though, I have seen them cheaper than $179.

floz23, I'm not sure either. I have never changed an OPA before, so I'm not sure what the differences are.

Nov 11, 2008 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zombie_X /img/forum/go_quote.gif
floz23, I'm not sure either. I have never changed an OPA before, so I'm not sure what the differences are.

basically, the original mk1 had an opamp with a dip8 package, kinda like a cpu with 8 pins. This allows you to easily replace the amplifier with a different model, with almost no effort. It appears as if the new mk1 has soldered opamps, which sucks. Maybe the extra boost function of the new model improves the overall performance?

We need reviews...

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 25
3 hours of charging time for 30 hours of battery life sounds pretty good. If the OPA's already sound great, then i'm ok with the fact that it can't be changed.
biggrin.gif

Where's the review?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:38 AM Post #13 of 25
I was just going to post a thread asking if anyone got this new version yet. I'm looking to get one for my Zune 80 + Grado SR225s and I'm not sure how it'll sound.

Honestly, I can't even stand listening to my Zune by itself after plugging my 225s into my Logitech speakers, and someone here told me that an amp will sound even better. Is that true? I'm not sure how that works. Plugged into the jack on my speakers there is a lot more bass than my Zune, which has almost none.

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 25
after 20hrs of pinknoise, the LDMK1+ is sounding different from when i tried it yesterday.. More bass, highs, greater control, and sounds now have depth.. will update again after 50hrs or so..

/ps, am i killing my headphones with this burning in process? can i just leave the phones unplugged or should they stay plugged? any difference??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back