Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Sep 6, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #721 of 2,724
I agree to some extent about cables although I have definately heard differences, even in USB cables which is controversial. One reason I don't go with silver is that I like smooth round tones and assuming silver gives a more attacking sound that would negate the tube sound for me. Changing caps however would be interesting to try, others have said that it makes a noticeable difference, any suggestions about the caps to go for?

Sep 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #722 of 2,724
  I agree to some extent about cables although I have definately heard differences, even in USB cables which is controversial. One reason I don't go with silver is that I like smooth round tones and assuming silver gives a more attacking sound that would negate the tube sound for me. Changing caps however would be interesting to try, others have said that it makes a noticeable difference, any suggestions about the caps to go for?

Depends on what sound you're looking for.

The caps that Little Dot offers for upgrades are Mundorf silver/gold/oil. You could also go with any caps of the same value really - Jensen/Mundorf Silver Oil/V-cap ...etc. My personal fav caps are the Jensen in paper can, or Mundorf.

Aside from the Mundorf, you'll need to leave the bottom of the little dot open if you wants to fit some big caps since Jensen and V-cap (CuTF/TFTF) are quite "fat".

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #723 of 2,724
I wish there were some official response at to how the LD mkVI+ has or hasn't changed. I am interested in trying out this amp but have put it off due to the rear-facing 1/4" headphone jack. I use a wide variety of headphones and the way my equipment is mounted, it would be a chore to reach behind the amp to plug/unplug headphones so often.

The LD website appears to be very, very, very slow in updating information and photos of the equipment. Does anyone have actual photos of their recently acquired LD mkVI+ that can settle whether the inputs/outputs have been repositioned on the amp?

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #724 of 2,724
  I wish there were some official response at to how the LD mkVI+ has or hasn't changed. I am interested in trying out this amp but have put it off due to the rear-facing 1/4" headphone jack. I use a wide variety of headphones and the way my equipment is mounted, it would be a chore to reach behind the amp to plug/unplug headphones so often.

The LD website appears to be very, very, very slow in updating information and photos of the equipment. Does anyone have actual photos of their recently acquired LD mkVI+ that can settle whether the inputs/outputs have been repositioned on the amp?

All new order of the MK6+ starting from 2 last months (I think) have the front 1/4" jack. This one is from August:

David hasn't updated the English website of LD for ages. The Mk9 has come out for a month now; the info and the preorder was only posted on the Chinese forum

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #725 of 2,724

Have you emailed David at Little Dot? He's usually very helpful.
little.tube@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #726 of 2,724
I have emailed him a couple of times but responses usually take about a week. I know he's busy so I find it easier and faster to get information from you guys, here.

Thanks for the info regarding the mkVI+.

Any ideas or comments about the mkIX, other than it's SE?

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #727 of 2,724

In my case I just add a very short headphone extension cable to the rear 1/4 jack semi-permanent and just use the cable when ever I need to use the 1/4 jack. It is a moot point now.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #728 of 2,724
  I have emailed him a couple of times but responses usually take about a week. I know he's busy so I find it easier and faster to get information from you guys, here.

Thanks for the info regarding the mkVI+.

Any ideas or comments about the mkIX, other than it's SE?

It's the single ended version of the MK6. Not worth the price IMO, only 200 extra and you can get the MK6. After a few tube rollings and you'll begin to wonder what would balance sound like 
bigsmile_face.gif

Not many impression on it, the few expressions on China forum were mostly with low impedance dynamic (Rs1i, D7k ..etc)

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #729 of 2,724

I'm surprised you  say that, he usually responds within minutes, day, evening, weekends appears all the same to him and that's one of the reasons I went for my LD. However he can get customer fatigue if you bombard him with too many questions at once.

Sep 12, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #732 of 2,724
So, with the New VI+, have the fan noise, grounding and transformer issues been sorted?

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #733 of 2,724
So, with the New VI+, have the fan noise, grounding and transformer issues been sorted?

Yes. But I'd personally replace the fans to something better that will maintain the cooling of the amp without fan bearing failure and excessive noise. My VI+ fan broke down a good months worth of use into it. Swapped for a Noctua and it was good.

Sep 12, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #734 of 2,724
Thanks for your reply DefQon,

How easy is the fan swap? And could you please tell me which size fan to use? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back