Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,671 of 2,724
Hello,
I am planning to buy the Little Dot Mk VI + with full upgrade,with Mundorf stuff silver solder plus the Mullard tubes Ect..
On the site to buy https://littledotus.com/?product=mk-vi

Has anyone done the upgrade and can report back?

Hi Delleh, congratulations on your purchase! The guys on the US website you mention are very friendly and helpful. Yes this thread is beginning to show signs of age, however the amp is still good! I've checked in here from the LD Supermods thread where we've gone much further than just coupling caps. However I'm pleased to see that LD are still offering the Mundforf and wires upgrades. This is a key upgrade which will massively improve SQ.

I also know that the small one has been on the market for a long time and maybe after years one or the other problem has been fixed, like the fans and so on.
Or is the power supply issue still there?

I'm not sure what power supply issue you are talking about, AFAIK there is no power supply issue at all, just make sure that the voltage matches your supply in Germany. I believe it is 230v, the same as UK but you might need an adapter as I believe the plugs are different.

I think the fans are the usual ones which you can hear but are not obtrusive, if you do find them annoying you can replace them with quiet fans.

I have fitted larger Enermax fans which have LED lighting which is pretty cool!

I am also aware that tube amplifiers generally hum a bit.
But I don't want to have to turn up the volume so high to drown it out, if it's that bad.
I have two other tube amplifiers in mind, but they are 2-3 times as expensive.

Apart from the fans the amp is dead quiet, some have reported a slight hum from the transformer or transformer covers but I myself haven't experienced this.

Also when using the amp SE there is a hum, but it is a balanced amp and you should use it balanced, if you do the balance architecture means no noise.

What are the other 2 amps you have?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2,672 of 2,724
Hello at all and @baronbeehive,

I haven't ordered the little one yet because I wanted to wait for an answer.
I was also looking for the best price/performance ratio for a tube amplifier.
The Cayin Cs 1H has slipped into the selection with one leg.😇
But there are still one two things that bother me.
First of all, I would like to get rid of the Rca and use the balanced output that I have free on the Dac.
Or rather, the Rca is actually occupied and I don't want to keep switching back and forth.

And the MK vI+ seems to me to be right, cleanly constructed without major problems.
I have of course seen cheaper ones but something bothers me of Tubeamps.
And some also report that they have problems and the eternal tube rolling.
I've already been through that with the Schiit Vali 2, and I don't feel like it.

Your answer was helpful in any case and actually cleared up the last doubts I had.👍
I'm not too worried about the hum of the transformer.
My wife would still have a 3D printer if it was actually coming from the cover.😊
If necessary, you could possibly decorate the cover with a nice wood.🙈
If it really is coming from a magnetic field in the cover, that would be an option.

The Audiovalve Luminare or Solaris would also be on the shortlist. they cost considerably more than the Little Dot and the variety of connections would be there.

But I think I'll stick with the Little Dot, which would certainly be sufficient for my purposes.

Do you have a link from the mods where the users here have made? I would be interested out of curiosity.🤗

Thanks again for your answer,

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #2,673 of 2,724
Hello at all and @baronbeehive,

I haven't ordered the little one yet because I wanted to wait for an answer.
I was also looking for the best price/performance ratio for a tube amplifier.
The Cayin Cs 1H has slipped into the selection with one leg.😇
But there are still one two things that bother me.
First of all, I would like to get rid of the Rca and use the balanced output that I have free on the Dac.
Or rather, the Rca is actually occupied and I don't want to keep switching back and forth.

And the MK vI+ seems to me to be right, cleanly constructed without major problems.
I have of course seen cheaper ones but something bothers me of Tubeamps.
I've already been through that with the Schiit Vali 2, and I don't feel like it.

Your answer was helpful in any case and actually cleared up the last doubts I had.
My wife would still have a 3D printer if it was actually coming from the cover.😊
If necessary, you could possibly decorate the cover with a nice wood.🙈
If it really is coming from a magnetic field in the cover, that would be an option.

The Audiovalve Luminare or Solaris would also be on the shortlist. they cost considerably more than the Little Dot and the variety of connections would be there.

But I think I'll stick with the Little Dot, which would certainly be sufficient for my purposes.

Do you have a link from the mods where the users here have made? I would be interested out of curiosity.🤗

As a current user of the Mk8 SE I actually love it, and yea I wouldn’t recommend using RCA or SE cause there is a Hum that really bothered me for the longest time but once I invested on the Balanced interconnects I no longer had any Humming issues when running fully balanced. I want to try some mods too so i might check out the mod list.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #2,674 of 2,724

No worries, happy to help!

Yes, just get a set of 4xRCA 6AS7G's, cheap and good enough to last you, and maybe 2xTungsol 6SL7's and you need never tube roll again. That's what I have on my modded LD and it is truly end game, sounds so good with these tubes that there's no need to change.

Your answer was helpful in any case and actually cleared up the last doubts I had.👍

Yes, the one person that mentioned this removed the cover and the hum disappeared, but as I said nobody else has mentioned this problem.

All you notice when the amp is running is the fantastic soundstage and resolution when you have your headphones on. With the upgrades you have the superior sound over the stock LD, which is already good, and I think you would be very happy with that :relieved:. The amp itself runs dead quiet. I've been running this amp, modded,, for about 10 years with no problems and I don't intend to change it!

This is the LD Supermods thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lit...rified-mods-are-on-first-page.782183/page-253

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,675 of 2,724
No worries, happy to help!

Yes, just get a set of 4xRCA 6AS7G's, cheap and good enough to last you, and maybe 2xTungsol 6SL7's and you need never tube roll again. That's what I have on my modded LD and it is truly end game, sounds so good with these tubes that there's no need to change.

Yes, the one person that mentioned this removed the cover and the hum disappeared, but as I said nobody else has mentioned this problem.

All you notice when the amp is running is the fantastic soundstage and resolution when you have your headphones on. With the upgrades you have the superior sound over the stock LD, which is already good, and I think you would be very happy with that :relieved:. The amp itself runs dead quiet. I've been running this amp, modded,, for about 10 years with no problems and I don't intend to change it!

This is the LD Supermods thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lit...rified-mods-are-on-first-page.782183/page-253

Thanks for the recommendations, I will keep them in mind.👍
First the good piece has to find its way to me, then I'll see what happens.

Your tube recommendations are quite good.👍
Would I have to take a made pair for each RCA or just 4 pieces directly?
I don't think you will find a machet set of 4 Tubes.

I have looked in the upgrades there is quite a bit exaggerated.
I don't want to go that far either.
I would be happy if the good piece does its job without incident, has a nice British charm in the sound.😁

Jan 25, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,676 of 2,724
Feb 5, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,677 of 2,724
After a few months of usage, I just turned on my tube amp and it popped.
Smoking coming out coming form the circuit board.

B I G sad.
From the original issues I had with this with the dial lights being terrible and the stock tubes being sent as defective as well... I am really losing faith in Little dot.

Sent a warranty req over to APOS and I'm sure they'll be fine but whoever is looking to buy one of these - I'd be very careful.

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #2,678 of 2,724
After a few months of usage, I just turned on my tube amp and it popped.
Smoking coming out coming form the circuit board.

B I G sad.
From the original issues I had with this with the dial lights being terrible and the stock tubes being sent as defective as well... I am really losing faith in Little dot.

Sent a warranty req over to APOS and I'm sure they'll be fine but whoever is looking to buy one of these - I'd be very careful.
I agree, luckily I haven’t really had any issues as of late, the only issue I’ve been having is microphonics of the tubes. I really want to see if the upgrades that little dot provides would be worth sending in for upgrading.

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #2,679 of 2,724
I agree, luckily I haven’t really had any issues as of late, the only issue I’ve been having is microphonics of the tubes. I really want to see if the upgrades that little dot provides would be worth sending in for upgrading.

Yeah microphonics is just tube related, swap those out and you should be golden. Hope this fiasco is a one off and doesn't happen to anyone else!

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,680 of 2,724
Yeah microphonics is just tube related, swap those out and you should be golden. Hope this fiasco is a one off and doesn't happen to anyone else!
Have you swapped yours? I’m looking for recommendations as to what I could use

Feb 5, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #2,681 of 2,724
It's really unfortunate.
Shouldn't happen normally.
I think there is a fuse in the mains plug, probably it has tripped.
If there is none in there, there will probably be one in the unit that has tripped.

If so, it will certainly be replaced and a look at the circuit board will be taken to see if there is a reason why it has tripped.

I got the Little Dot Mk 1+, which is not bad in terms of workmanship, but somehow I still had some doubts about what it would be like if I got the Mk 6+.
That's why I decided to get a Feliks Euforia.
If you are looking for an alternative, take a look at the Echo 2 or the Elise from Feliks if the Euforia is too expensive for you.
On Youtube from upscale Audio you can find the video where he opened the lid and the workmanship is quite amazing.
But I'm sure you have something else in mind amplifier-wise.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #2,682 of 2,724
Well the Saga has ended.
Apos no longer supports littledot and took it off the shelves. No new stock returning, refunded my purchase and allowed me to keep the hardware as well.

Tragic, Little Dot has officially lost my future business. Apos is still #1! Hate to see them suffer for their mistakes.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,683 of 2,724
Well the Saga has ended.
Apos no longer supports littledot and took it off the shelves. No new stock returning, refunded my purchase and allowed me to keep the hardware as well.

Tragic, Little Dot has officially lost my future business. Apos is still #1! Hate to see them suffer for their mistakes.
what?! Lucky they refused to allow me to receive a refund despite not having it for 2.5 weeks during my return period due to having to send it back.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #2,684 of 2,724
Well the Saga has ended.

How do you know that they no longer support Littledot? I thought they just sold out and haven’t received any new shipments. Will they still allow me to get mine RMA’d? I just serrated the request a little over a week ago because there is buzzing that appears in the left most tube input. I’ve swapped it with a replacement tube I bought and the other 3 tubes on it and it seems that the tube input has gone bad.

Feb 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #2,685 of 2,724
How do you know that they no longer support Littledot? I thought they just sold out and haven’t received any new shipments. Will they still allow me to get mine RMA’d? I just serrated the request a little over a week ago because there is buzzing that appears in the left most tube input. I’ve swapped it with a replacement tube I bought and the other 3 tubes on it and it seems that the tube input has gone bad.
Unsure about that one, they told me they will not RMA mine or find me a replacement as they will no longer carry it.
Maybe it is only because I am in Canada and the shipping of it going back n forth is going to be $$$$$.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back