Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Jan 23, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,582 of 2,724
Do you have spare tubes to test them? I'm not experienced but can't rule out a bad tube as the source of your problem.

As a good test -if you mean power tubes under "power drives"- I would pull out tubes 1 and 2 and place them into the 3rd and 4th position and tubes 3 and 4 into 1st and 2nd.
You can check whether the problem remains the same or wandered from right channel to the left. If everything remain the same, you can swap the two driver tubes as well.
Thanks for the reply.
I change all the position of the power tubes. And it still lowing the right side. Than I change the positions of the deivers tubes, that I still change for 2 tung sol and it was persisting the problem, and is look like that resolve the problem. Need more tests.

Jan 23, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #2,583 of 2,724
Okay, so If I understand you correctly, the new driver tubes probably solve the problem. :)
Keep us updating with the sequels!

Anyway I think, the Tung-sols are much better than the original driver tubes.

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #2,584 of 2,724
Can anyone tell me the differences between the Mk6 vs Mk8?
Also, how do they compare against a Felike Elise?

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #2,585 of 2,724
Hi everyone!

I have been eyeing this amp for a while now and getting close to pulling the trigger. Love how it looks and it has almost everything I need (XLR, 1/4", RCA, balanced, pre-amp, quality, upgrade-able, looks nice... you get the point)!

Unfortunately, I am brand new to tube amps and am still learning..

What tubes could I roll with this? I know the obvious ones would be the exact same model # is ships with (12AT7 / ECC81) but for the other one, 6H30, I can only really find a few tubes being sold. Is there anything else compatible with 6H30PI similar to how 12AT7 is with ECC81 that would work with this amp? Looking at online retailers there really isn't many options for 6H30 as far as I am aware and none of them seem appealing to me.

I like planars. Planar headphones do not play nice with tube amps as they are high voltage not high amperage (correct me if I'm wrong and have this vice versa?)

However, looking at the output of this amp it says output 1W per channel @ 300 ohms. I have Audeze LCD-2 which are 70 Ohm and need at least 250mW. I am also planning on getting Mr. Speaker Ether 2 which are 16 Ohm. I know it is not ideal, but, would this Little Dot be able to work with them still? I still have dynamic high ohm headphones which I know will shine with this amp. I am just so used to solid state and whatever I plug in will just work and be powered properly (HDVA 600).

Thank you for the information already provided (lots of reading!!) and thanks in advance for help with my newbie questions.

Cheers!

Jun 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #2,586 of 2,724
Can anyone tell me the differences between the Mk6 vs Mk8?
Also, how do they compare against a Felike Elise?
The Elise is basically half an amp, of what these are(!).
So it's a way less powerful amp & simpler design. Otherwise its nice.

Thank you for the information already provided (lots of reading!!) and thanks in advance for help with my newbie questions.

Cheers!
You are looking at the LD MK8se which is less powerful than the LDMK6 that is recommended for the headphones you mentioned.

That being said, I still like my LDMK8, but am currently using the "Oblivion" amp wich is a hybrid and will cost you ALOT less money, as there is no need to mod/upgrade it.
These amps have more euphoric tube sound though.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2,587 of 2,724
Hi everyone!

I have been eyeing this amp for a while now and getting close to pulling the trigger. Love how it looks and it has almost everything I need (XLR, 1/4", RCA, balanced, pre-amp, quality, upgrade-able, looks nice... you get the point)!

Unfortunately, I am brand new to tube amps and am still learning..

What tubes could I roll with this? I know the obvious ones would be the exact same model # is ships with (12AT7 / ECC81) but for the other one, 6H30, I can only really find a few tubes being sold. Is there anything else compatible with 6H30PI similar to how 12AT7 is with ECC81 that would work with this amp? Looking at online retailers there really isn't many options for 6H30 as far as I am aware and none of them seem appealing to me.

I like planars. Planar headphones do not play nice with tube amps as they are high voltage not high amperage (correct me if I'm wrong and have this vice versa?)

However, looking at the output of this amp it says output 1W per channel @ 300 ohms. I have Audeze LCD-2 which are 70 Ohm and need at least 250mW. I am also planning on getting Mr. Speaker Ether 2 which are 16 Ohm. I know it is not ideal, but, would this Little Dot be able to work with them still? I still have dynamic high ohm headphones which I know will shine with this amp. I am just so used to solid state and whatever I plug in will just work and be powered properly (HDVA 600).

Cheers!

I have the MK 6 and have used it with my Ether Flow and LCD-2s, it works well. I bought mine when I had my end game headphones back in 2008, they were HD650s, and the amp was a great pairing. That being said, I wouldn't buy it if my planned headphones were going to be planar. If you want to go tubes, I'd look for a hybrid tube, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, for example.

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #2,588 of 2,724
The Elise is basically half an amp, of what these are(!).
So it's a way less powerful amp & simpler design. Otherwise its nice.

You are looking at the LD MK8se which is less powerful than the LDMK6 that is recommended for the headphones you mentioned.

That being said, I still like my LDMK8, but am currently using the "Oblivion" amp wich is a hybrid and will cost you ALOT less money, as there is no need to mod/upgrade it.
These amps have more euphoric tube sound though.

That amp looks amazing and the specs on the sheet are also amazing. Unfortunately way pricer than my budget right now. I have a lead on a MK VIII SE for $550 that is open box with ~20hrs on it which is why I'm so determined to make it work with my setup. The oblivion doesn't have preamp out which I would like to incorporate to my speakers.

I have the MK 6 and have used it with my Ether Flow and LCD-2s, it works well. I bought mine when I had my end game headphones back in 2008, they were HD650s, and the amp was a great pairing. That being said, I wouldn't buy it if my planned headphones were going to be planar. If you want to go tubes, I'd look for a hybrid tube, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, for example.

It looks like if I do want to use planars that the MK 6 will probably be better then. Ether Flow is 23ohms. My Endgame was the HD650's at the time too :)

I have had my eyes on the Liquid Platinum as well, but it lacks the features I want such as a pre-amp out to go to my power amp for speakers.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Jun 3, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #2,590 of 2,724
That amp looks amazing and the specs on the sheet are also amazing. Unfortunately way pricer than my budget right now. I have a lead on a MK VIII SE for $550 that is open box with ~20hrs on it which is why I'm so determined to make it work with my setup. The oblivion doesn't have preamp out which I would like to incorporate to my speakers.

It looks like if I do want to use planars that the MK 6 will probably be better then. Ether Flow is 23ohms. My Endgame was the HD650's at the time too :)

I have had my eyes on the Liquid Platinum as well, but it lacks the features I want such as a pre-amp out to go to my power amp for speakers.

Thank you all for the suggestions!
That Oblivion looks really cool.

I'd definitely shy away from the MK 8, since it's really for high impedance headphones.

What DAC are you using?

I'd have some general usability concerns around my headphone amp as a preamp depending on whether or not it remembers volume levels and/or mutes the RCA outputs when you disconnect. Also, I can't speak for others, but I found the preamp to be noisy when I tried it. My stack was fully balanced Emotiva DC-1 >> LD MK VI >> nCore amps >> Maggie 3.6s, so not super efficient by any means. Maybe there was something faulty with my VI, or some issue with all the connections. Mine was pretty early in the MK VI life cycle, for example, it doesn't have the SE output on the front.

The Emotiva DC-1 was great, it had two separate memory settings. Plug the headphones in and it's the last headphone volume and the speaker outputs are muted. Unplug and the volume returns to your last speaker level.

Just to understand your current goal:
* Tube amp for planar headphones
* Option to have preamp output
* $550-700 budget (notice what I did there? I'm an enabler ;-P )

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #2,591 of 2,724
If you want to go tubes, I'd look for a hybrid tube, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum, for example.
Power isn't everything.
I would not choose that.
It still land you in mid-fi territory, in which many options to stay with for enjoyment.
I would save and skip the sea of countless (and nice) mid-fi gear.

I have a lead on a MK VIII SE for $550 that is open box with ~20hrs on it which is why I'm so determined to make it work with my setup. The oblivion doesn't have preamp out which I would like to incorporate to my speakers
If you like this amp, you can still use it. It will still push planars ok, but you will notice the meters start to dip at 3/4 volume in stock form, and to get it sounding great you will have to do some mods at least.

I keep mine as it still nice euphoric, & also a top amp when moded", but the Oblivion" is my reference "end game" currently, and can be ordered customized.

You will read in the other "Little Dot supermod" thread (link in my sig) that I was originally not a fan of any hybrid design, until I compared the Oblivion and proved it to myself.
That one is a special hybrid.

For all the traditional tube designs,
I aknowledge the necessity of tunning of the circuits, and parts quality implementation, like in the supermod thread for the little dot amps, and so going thru all that learning, it is such a change, relief, and revelation to have an amp that does not require this (in the Oblivion).
So, if you have a great deal, go with it.
Just remember that if you want to progress to end game level with unique design & at a reachable level, I cannot suggest anything else.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #2,592 of 2,724
Hi, I have a chord mojo and diy hd800. Which version , mkvi or mkviii is better? I would be happy if its the mk vi because its its che and look cooler with biger tubes
Compare to other amps just above $1000, like the woo wa2, bottlehead mainline or decware, feliks... should I just save my money and get these?

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #2,593 of 2,724
Hi, I have a chord mojo and diy hd800. Which version , mkvi or mkviii is better? I would be happy if its the mk vi because its its che and look cooler with biger tubes
Compare to other amps just above $1000, like the woo wa2, bottlehead mainline or decware, feliks... should I just save my money and get these?
Hello. In my opinion Felix Audio Euforia in stock (only tube to change) will win among all listed above. I have it for a year already.
If you will make all the upgrades available, then LD mk6/8 for sure. But "full pack" will cost you over 1000 usd in total...

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #2,594 of 2,724
I would Focus on amps that have more upgrade potential, and give more for the money.

So my personal preference would be the either the LD amps or the Woo amps in general.
Everybody have different taste and preferences.

Jul 14, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #2,595 of 2,724
Hello. In my opinion Felix Audio Euforia in stock (only tube to change) will win among all listed above. I have it for a year already.
If you will make all the upgrades available, then LD mk6/8 for sure. But "full pack" will cost you over 1000 usd in total...

Ha! Another OTL amp, this time from Poland!

I see they are following our advice at last and fitting their amps with quality components inside which as we have found make a massive difference. This looks to be a top amp and would not need to be opened up to tweak like we have done with the LD. However as has been said the LD offers more upgrade potential.

Going by some reviews it seems to be a slightly more neutral amp than the LD but of course tubes will make a difference here. Also soundstage looks to be more limited, but I can't really make a proper comparison without hearing it myself.

The big advantage for me though is that the LD is probably the cheapest balanced amp out there. The Woo, is SE I believe though this is not necessarily a disadvantage.

The upgraded LD is end game for me in terms of soundstage, resolution, and dynamics, and you could spend as little or as much as you like to achieve this.

…..the stock LD isn't bad either….!

Edit: I think SwordYang knew the importance of quality components also, due to the factory cap and wire upgrades they used to offer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back