Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite
Feb 28, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,598 of 2,724
No, it's not dead. The activity comes and goes.

I personally only have the Mk VI+ and so don't have any personal recommendations for tube rolling on the Mk VIII. Earlier, I posted a list of favorites, based on personal research, for tube rolling on the Mk VI+:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lit...se-owners-unite.522099/page-150#post_12203881

and I'm currently enjoying:

• Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z black bottle driver tubes
  • RCA 6AS7G vintage NOS matched power tubes

I just don't know if these recommendations would also apply to the Mk VIII.

– Dave

Mar 4, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,600 of 2,724
Hi all, I've just received my little dot mk8 today and the meters are showing different readings left channel is showing about 55 and right channel is showing about
45, could someone please tell me if this is down to the tubes or if not what it could be.
Thanks in advance.

Mar 9, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,601 of 2,724
My little dot mk8se has now been with me for about 11 days and at first and as the above post states the meters were way off, it turns out that one of the 12at7 tubes was
malfunctioning but that is nothing compared to the sound through the single ended output, this output has cross polarity and has a terribly one sided echo sound, when
I turn the balance to one side on the pc the sound still comes out of both sides, I have spent the last 7 days trying to get in touch with Shenzhen audio where I purchased the amp
and they truly make you jump through hoops to get any joy from them, the customer service is actually diabolical, they have now put me in touch with Yang who apparently makes these things, obviously with no quality control or testing before they leave the factory, this post is for anyone considering buying one of these and if I were you I would seriously consider your options before buying as to tell you the truth the sound isn't even that good through the balanced output.

Mar 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,602 of 2,724
My little dot mk8se has now been with me for about 11 days and at first and as the above post states the meters were way off, it turns out that one of the 12at7 tubes was
malfunctioning but that is nothing compared to the sound through the single ended output, this output has cross polarity and has a terribly one sided echo sound, when
I turn the balance to one side on the pc the sound still comes out of both sides, I have spent the last 7 days trying to get in touch with Shenzhen audio where I purchased the amp
and they truly make you jump through hoops to get any joy from them, the customer service is actually diabolical, they have now put me in touch with Yang who apparently makes these things, obviously with no quality control or testing before they leave the factory, this post is for anyone considering buying one of these and if I were you I would seriously consider your options before buying as to tell you the truth the sound isn't even that good through the balanced output.
I just noticed your post, there aren't many of us on this thread anymore. Sorry that you've been having problems with your Little Dot. I don't know what has happened to the company, their website is no longer there and so they cannot be contacted.

There was a time when their customer service was excellent, that was partly the reason I got the amp. The problems you have been having suggest that it would be better returned under warranty as defective. Some of us on the supermod thread have had these problems, but only after tinkering with it so we are to blame for that, but unfortunately I can't help you to put this right because it requires a degree of knowledge to do that.

Let us know how you get on with Mr Yang, it really might be worth sticking with it if you can get it put right as the amp really is a top performer. I still have mine after over 10 years and wouldn't want to part with it!

Mar 9, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #2,604 of 2,724
Thanks, really good of you to reply, I've yet to see what solution Yang will come up with but the treatment from Shenzhen audio has been nothing short of disgusting, I truly would
not buy from them again. Is it possible that you could recommend some decent tubes please as I'm using the hd800 but I'd like to warm them up just a little, I have looked at the mod
thread but I'm not sure that want to get involved although I did mod my darkvoice before I sold it, I want to keep the amp but I'm feeling a little bit let down by both companies at the
moment but once again thanks for your time.

Mar 9, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #2,605 of 2,724
Thanks, really good of you to reply, I've yet to see what solution Yang will come up with but the treatment from Shenzhen audio has been nothing short of disgusting, I truly would
not buy from them again. Is it possible that you could recommend some decent tubes please as I'm using the hd800 but I'd like to warm them up just a little, I have looked at the mod
thread but I'm not sure that want to get involved although I did mod my darkvoice before I sold it, I want to keep the amp but I'm feeling a little bit let down by both companies at the
moment but once again thanks for your time.

No worries!

I think Shenzhen Audio must be a distributor so Little Dot can't really be blamed for their shoddy treatment.

Re: tubes, I have the MKVI+ which uses different tubes to the MK8. So I suggest you PM Maxx134, I'm sure he will help. I know he said there wasn't much choice of power tubes on the MK8 but for driver tubes he uses a lot of weird and wonderful choices with adapters so I'm not sure what to advise you about this myself!

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,606 of 2,724
BTW did you try swapping the tubes from one side/channel to the other to see if it affects the corresponding meter? If so it is the tube, otherwise it is the circuit on that side which needs checking and rectifying due to a problem connection.

Mar 10, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #2,608 of 2,724
BTW did you try swapping the tubes from one side/channel to the other to see if it affects the corresponding meter? If so it is the tube, otherwise it is the circuit on that side which needs checking and rectifying due to a problem connection.
No, your right that's for sure and I am actually more hacked off with Shenzhen audio than I am with little dot but nevertheless I wouldn't have to bother with Shenzhen
if little dot didn't send out a faulty amp, I will try to get a partial refund and have it fixed and checked by someone I know but it's all time related when all I should be doing
is enjoying the music and tube rolling. I have tried shifting the tubes about but with the stock tubes the meters are still out but when I change to the Mullards that I bought
(before I received the amp I should add) then all is fine so it points to a dodgy tube.
Thanks I will message Maxx134.
Thanks for your help

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,609 of 2,724
No, your right that's for sure and I am actually more hacked off with Shenzhen audio than I am with little dot but nevertheless I wouldn't have to bother with Shenzhen
if little dot didn't send out a faulty amp, I will try to get a partial refund and have it fixed and checked by someone I know but it's all time related when all I should be doing
is enjoying the music and tube rolling. I have tried shifting the tubes about but with the stock tubes the meters are still out but when I change to the Mullards that I bought
(before I received the amp I should add) then all is fine so it points to a dodgy tube.
Thanks I will message Maxx134.
Thanks for your help

Yes, sounds like poor quality control.

Just so I understand when you swap tubes from left to right the problem transfers to the other meter, and when you put in the Mullards both meters read the same?

If so the amp is OK!

Mar 10, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,610 of 2,724
Yes, sounds like poor quality control.

Just so I understand when you swap tubes from left to right the problem transfers to the other meter, and when you put in the Mullards both meters read the same?

If so the amp is OK!
No, even when I swap the stock tubes the left meter is slightly lower than the right and remains so no matter what side the tubes are in but with the Mullard tubes the meters have the same reading.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back