Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Sep 27, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #106 of 132
hi,

i've got one er4s and one k701 which are going to be amped via MK3. so, my point is that i want to use my MK3 at an optimum gain level for both phones (i do not want to change the switch positions all the day)

what would you suggest? Is ON/ON (Gain 3 - high sensitivity phones) combo good for them? Should I increase the gain level to 5, 6 etc. maybe (which are suitable for medium impedance/sensitivity phones)?

thanks.

Sep 27, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #107 of 132
Quote:

The only downside with my 325i\MKIII combo is that about 15% of the source material I have sounds a bit too bright. I may end getting some phones that sound a little darker for the brighter recordings.

The stock tubes are bit bright on highs, and combined with SR325i own brightness it might be too much. Get some Mullard EF95 or EF91/EF92 ones, superb combo for my ears!

Sep 28, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #108 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by undo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi,

i've got one er4s and one k701 which are going to be amped via MK3. so, my point is that i want to use my MK3 at an optimum gain level for both phones (i do not want to change the switch positions all the day)

what would you suggest? Is ON/ON (Gain 3 - high sensitivity phones) combo good for them? Should I increase the gain level to 5, 6 etc. maybe (which are suitable for medium impedance/sensitivity phones)?

thanks.

?

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #111 of 132
I understand that the factory setting is "A" high Imp/low sen. What is the effect when using HPs with low imp/high senn like Grado RS2. Can you damage the amp or HPs? Thanks for great review. I'm expecting my MKIII this week and will share my impressions. The source will be Cayin Tube cdp and an assortment of top headphones from AKG, Beyer, Senn, Ultasone, Grado and Ety

Sep 29, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #112 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by J&J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that the factory setting is "A" high Imp/low sen. What is the effect when using HPs with low imp/high senn like Grado RS2. Can you damage the amp or HPs? Thanks for great review. I'm expecting my MKIII this week and will share my impressions. The source will be Cayin Tube cdp and an assortment of top headphones from AKG, Beyer, Senn, Ultasone, Grado and Ety

Not directly, but adjusting volume will be pain in the arse as even slightest nudge on volume knob will affect volume a lot. The sound might be bit off too, if the gain setting also affects impedance. Setting a gain for about low-meidum or high-medium should be good for about all headphones.

Oct 4, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #113 of 132
Just ordered one from David too. Though due to chinese national holiday, they can't send it before next tuesday.

Arrgh, can't wait.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #114 of 132
Just got it this morning, loving it already. Tho the brights are indeed a bit too bright in some songs. Hopefully EF95's come soon too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #115 of 132
Not sure if this is a fair comparison, but does anyone here have the MK III and the Mini^3? I hear AWESOME things about the Mini^3, but also awesome things about the Mk III.

Any chance of a comparison?

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #116 of 132
Mini^3 = Portable Amp, driven by battery or ac adapter
LD MK3 = Tube valve Amp, has it's own PSU department.

First,
To compare solid state amp with tube amp itself already difficult,
since both in different department, and Mini^3 is a portable unit, more like a super cmoy amp.

Second,
Amp like LD MK3 easily... drive higher impedance headphones, while Mini^3 is sufficient to drive high impedance headphone.

Third,
Be the first who compare
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #117 of 132
I want to say thanks for the reviews in the thread. I am new to this whole thing and I had no clue what amp to get for my 595s, but now after reading this it seems the MKIII is a great choice.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #118 of 132
Need some advice, I been running a Zero Dac but its shat itself so thinking should I get one of these and run it off my Asus Xonar D2 to a set of HD650's?

Or recommend any more toys in that combo

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #120 of 132
Hi Fi'ers
I Have a pair of K701s, but I get confused with the gain setting.
As the manual said a)(gain 10) is for high impedance or low sensitivity phones, c)(gain4) and d)(gain3) are for low impedance or high sensitivity phones.
The k701s are low impedance and very low sensitivity phones, so they are suitable for a) or d)? I prefer a), because lots of people said k701s need power to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back