Little Dot MK III: An Exclusive Review (56k warning!)
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #31 of 132

1Eloy

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Posts
1
Likes
0
Thanks for the nice review.A few thoughts though.
Quote:

After 30+ hours of burn-in, and 1 minute of warming-up the tubes, the audition began…


Having owned LD products and knowing they take a least a half hour to warm up and sound their best,I wish you would have waited at least that long
to start testing and maybe 100-200 plus hours burn-in time..By the time you switched IC's and Source it was probably starting to sound better anyway so we really don't know if the sound improved due to 1.Time being on.2.Signal Cable IC change.3.Source change.It's usually best to change one thing at a time and listen awhile then change next thing and listen awhile and so on.
Again thanks for the review and looking forward to updates and the endless tube rolling thread that will be starting soon.
 
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #32 of 132

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Posts
1,475
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Eloy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the nice review.A few thoughts though.

Having owned LD products and knowing they take a least a half hour to warm up and sound their best,I wish you would have waited at least that long
to start testing and maybe 100-200 plus hours burn-in time..By the time you switched IC's and Source it was probably starting to sound better anyway so we really don't know if the sound improved due to 1.Time being on.2.Signal Cable IC change.3.Source change.It's usually best to change one thing at a time and listen awhile then change next thing and listen awhile and so on.
Again thanks for the review and looking forward to updates and the endless tube rolling thread that will be starting soon.



Haha, no worries. When i said 1 minute of powering up, i really meant the tubes only take less than 1 minute to be able to be used. My official auditioning went for more than 3 continuous hours, on top of the original 30+ hours of burn-in. On the one hand, yes, burn-in do improve the overall sound, on the other hand, it won't improve so much that the sound is significantly changed. Moreover, whenever i do comparison, it's always the back and forth A-B-A-B method. But yes, the sound significantly and immediately improved when a good DAC is connected via some good cables.
wink.gif


PS. I also tried many other configurations, including. B and C switch setting, other cables, other headphones etc. but since i couldnt include EVERYTHING in my review (which is aimed to be concise and not to bore people), only the most significant improvement and most critical/important signature/character for the LD MKIII was chosen to be included in the review.
 
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:17 PM Post #33 of 132

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Posts
1,003
Likes
85
so from your review are you implying that they only live up to their true potential when coupled with a high-end source? or is there something there for the rest of us =p
 
Jun 25, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #34 of 132

maxxy

Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
80
Likes
10
I think everyone wants to know how this amp compares to the DV 336i.
I personally would like to know how it pairs up with the DT880
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:54 AM Post #35 of 132

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Posts
1,475
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoPants /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so from your review are you implying that they only live up to their true potential when coupled with a high-end source? or is there something there for the rest of us =p


To get the best out of all high-end gears, you need the best high-end companions. It's like if you're driving a BMW, are you going to put crappy tires on it? Of course you can, but that would mean the car's full potential cannot be utilized.

What i am saying is that without a decent source, the amp will perform fine. With a good source/cables, however, you will definitely notice the difference in the upgrades. That is why you see people spending hundreds or even thousands on good DAC and/or cables.
smily_headphones1.gif


An amp, afterall, is to amplify the incoming signal. If the signal is good, the amplified end result would be good; if it is bad... well then you can guess...
 
Jun 26, 2007 at 1:08 PM Post #36 of 132

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Posts
5,774
Likes
19
Penguindude, what do you think is better for my situation. I own a 595 and want better sound out of it. My source is a X-FI xtreme music. Do you think it's better to buy the MKIII or a DAC like your Beresford? I can't decide really..
confused.gif


Quote:

I also saw you writing this: However, at some areas of several songs I listened to without being amped, I could notice a tiny bit of congestion.[..]I could hear considerable hiss through both the HD595[..]Any defect in the recording was immediately noticed(Beresford)[..]it conveyed a sense of dullness(Beresford)[..]


 
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #37 of 132

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Posts
1,475
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Penguindude, what do you think is better for my situation. I own a 595 and want better sound out of it. My source is a X-FI xtreme music. Do you think it's better to buy the MKIII or a DAC like your Beresford? I can't decide really..
confused.gif



In your situation, I'd recommend the Amp over the DAC. The X-fi is a pretty decent DAC and the HD595 will benefit more from an amp than a DAC. Of course, that doesn't mean your wallet should close here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
You will look into a better DAC when upgraditis gets you.
icon10.gif
 
Jun 26, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #38 of 132

apatN

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 28, 2007
Posts
5,774
Likes
19
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your situation, I'd recommend the Amp over the DAC. The X-fi is a pretty decent DAC and the HD595 will benefit more from an amp than a DAC. Of course, that doesn't mean your wallet should close here.
very_evil_smiley.gif
You will look into a better DAC when upgraditis gets you
.
icon10.gif




thanks..


no I really mean that :p
 
Jun 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #39 of 132

fitzrik

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
15
Likes
0
Hi Penguin. Having also received one of these, first I thank you for drawing my attention to the dip switches. They do make a big difference in sound.

However I wonder about your view of the. I burned mine in(attached to a pc) for most of the weekend and yet I still feel it very bright. Quite surprising for a tube amp. I currently have a tube amp in my main system and the higher frequencies on this seem more obvious and harsher.

Not just on teh headphones, but also if used as a preamp with the main system. It certainly seems to be changing or adding to the sound.

WHat are your views?

I wanted to do review also, but being surprised by the current sound I wanted to wait and give it more burin in time/reflection.

Incidentally, the customer service from David Zhe/Little Dot has been first class.
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #40 of 132

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 24, 2006
Posts
5,750
Likes
690
Wow, sounds great. I love my Little Dot 2+ and may consider selling it and getting the LD MK 3. It looks fabulous too. I lreally love the look. Such a cool looking desk top design. Very nice!
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #41 of 132

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Posts
1,475
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by fitzrik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Penguin. Having also received one of these, first I thank you for drawing my attention to the dip switches. They do make a big difference in sound.

However I wonder about your view of the. I burned mine in(attached to a pc) for most of the weekend and yet I still feel it very bright. Quite surprising for a tube amp. I currently have a tube amp in my main system and the higher frequencies on this seem more obvious and harsher.

Not just on teh headphones, but also if used as a preamp with the main system. It certainly seems to be changing or adding to the sound.

WHat are your views?

I wanted to do review also, but being surprised by the current sound I wanted to wait and give it more burin in time/reflection.

Incidentally, the customer service from David Zhe/Little Dot has been first class.



Bright? No no... what is your source? Give us a list of your link starting from your soundcard/DAC and end with which headphones.
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #42 of 132

golgi

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 9, 2006
Posts
556
Likes
41
I've had my LD2+ since it's initial release and have not had any problems and have been very happy with it's sound. But now, I may have to upgrade....
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 11:29 AM Post #43 of 132

fitzrik

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jun 6, 2007
Posts
15
Likes
0
I really only use it for listening to vinyl.

Linn Sondek LP12, Akito Arm, Blue point cartridge
Lingo power supply, Tom evans micro groove phono stage
From there being plugged in direct to the little dot
AKG 701 headphones

Normally into an affordable valve amp company amp with el34 tubes
System audio 1260 speakers

Cheers
smily_headphones1.gif


R
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #44 of 132

GotNoRice

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Posts
423
Likes
38
When the Little Dot II++ came out there was some discussion in comparing the differences with the II+ that the II+ was a Directly Heated Triode design whereas the II++ was Indirectly Heated. Does anyone know which category the MKIII falls under? The power tubes look similar to the II++ so I’m guessing indirectly heated but I don’t know.
 
Jun 27, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #45 of 132

penguindude

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 28, 2006
Posts
1,475
Likes
11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the Little Dot II++ came out there was some discussion in comparing the differences with the II+ that the II+ was a Directly Heated Triode design whereas the II++ was Indirectly Heated. Does anyone know which category the MKIII falls under? The power tubes look similar to the II++ so I’m guessing indirectly heated but I don’t know.


From the sound of the amp, i'd guess it's more similar to the II++, so i'd say indirectly.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top