Little Dot Mark VI Balanced Tube Amp -- Good?
Oct 20, 2008 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Fryguy8

100+ Head-Fier
Thinking about getting one of these. Is it a solid balanced amp? Will it work in the interim with single-ended phones?

Would be using it with likely sennheiser HD650s, and less likely upgraded Grado SR225s or Beyer DT990s.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 12
If by solid you mean good, I can't say since I haven't heard it.

No you can't use single end headphones nativity. To use SE phones you would have to build/ buy an adapter cable...

I did hear a pair of balanced HD650's this weekend I think it is well worth the effort that goes into a balanced rig.

Oct 20, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 12
Yeh you will need an adapter...shouldn't be too expensive to get one..

However, you will get FAR better performance through purchasing a balanced cable!

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 12
Yah I realize I would need an adapter cable though. I thought I had heard that the topology of some balanced amps was such that you couldn't use single ended phones with them at all. If that is not the case, then all the better.

I currently have a set of Grado SR225s with a broken wire. I'm either going to get them fixed/recabled, or give up on them and move to another headphone (I've had the Grados for a few years now, time for a change maybe). Obviously sennheisers are easy to recable. The beyers.. not so much.

If I have the chance to go balanced I most likely will. This seems to be the cheapest balanced amp around, by a longshot, and Little Dot gets quite a bit of respect around here, so I was just curious if this price is too good to be true.

Oct 20, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 12
1. Can I use an adapter for the input as well?

2. I have a zhaolu 2.5 that has XLR outputs, so I should be good here anyway (for now, this will eventually get upgraded, but will be the last in the signal chain to get upgraded).

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryguy8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought I had heard that the topology of some balanced amps was such that you couldn't use single ended phones with them at all. If that is not the case, then all the better.

as far as i know, all single ended headphones can be used with balanced amps. most balanced amps have a SE jack. for those that do not - like the LDVI - you merely need an adapter. but if you have a balanced amp, you should have (and will prefer) balanced phones.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but if you have a balanced amp, you should have (and will prefer) balanced phones.

I find no reason to use a SE phones with balanced amp
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 12
My main reason is I'm unsure if I'm able/willing to buy everything I need to do balanced at once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find no reason to use a SE phones with balanced amp
tongue.gif

Oct 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 12
You can use adaptors, but this product was designed to be used with a balanced source and headphone. If you plan on using SE cans and source, may as well save some cash and buy a MKIV or something like that.

That said, using the adaptors won't sound like ass, but it would be sorta counterproductive IMO.

Looks like a great amp for the money! I want!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back