Little Dot II Problem?
Dec 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
I'm debating on getting an older Little Dot II. Here are the issues I'm aware of. Does this sound like an easy fix? Are there upgrades, other than tubes, that will improve this amp? Thanks for any help. Here is the info I have now.

Quote from previous owner I have an original LD-II that is not working properly: The left channel has static, lower volume, and occasionally cuts out completely. I suspect it's probably something simple, but I lack the skills and knowledge to go about trying to fix it. I also have at least 2 sets of tubes for the amp (maybe 3 -- I would have to look). All are OEM tubes; I never investigated trying to tuberoll this amp.

James

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #2 of 8
Jamess71,

Quote:

I suspect it's probably something simple, but I lack the skills and knowledge to go about trying to fix it.

Sounds somehow contradictory to me...the mentioned problems indicate that you probably have to dive into the innards of the amp, make measurements, exchange parts and so on.
Without skills and knowledge this could be troublesome, if not dangerous!

So I'd better stay away from this amp...

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 8
It could be your volume potentiometer but if you do not know what you are doing there is voltage in there. You should see if someone could fix it for you.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks. I think?
wink.gif
i edited the first post. The second paragraph was quoted from the guy I'm getting it from.

I do have DIY experience, my last project was the CK2III. I'm going to attempt to fix this myself I'm hoping for some pointers. Possibly someone with similar problems? Or where to start?
biggrin.gif

Thanks again
James

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #7 of 8
If you can, make sure that its a V4 of the original LD2. That was the last version and a good few of the earlier bugs were fixed in this version, which, going by my V4, is very stable.

Fran

Dec 12, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 8
i got electricuted twice but it wasnt dat serious. got around 165volts DC to my fingers. my speaker amp is worse, 240volts. those were charges from the electrolytics. i did try to take out the PCB but i think Bargy said that for me already. it a pain in the butt!!! BE SURE TO DISCHARGE THE HUGE CAPS FIRST!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back