Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Nov 14, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #121 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trapper32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes it wouldn't fully seat...I had a DIP8 extension laying around that I used...Can't remember where I picked it up...it was for use in one of my portable amps but basically it is one half of the top part of that adapter (the black part)...8 holes on the top to 8 pins on the bottom...You plug the adapter into the extension and the extension into the amp....Easier to do than to explain....

Sorry I can't seem to find one right now..maybe someone else knows where one can be located off hand..

You mean something like this?

dip8-socket.jpg

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #123 of 3,154
Guys -

All these miscellaneous adaptors and chip sockets can be found Stateside at: Cimarron Technology

Poke around and you'll likely find what you want w/o having to go eBay or overseas.

Edit: Mike, I just realized you're in Montreal. Still might be worth giving them a call to see if they ship to Quebec.

(If you guys don't secede before they get there)
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #124 of 3,154
From Yen:

+++

Dear chicago_stratcat,

Thank you for your purchase and prompt payment. This message confirms that your item has been shipped today via USPS First Class mail and should be arriving within one to two weeks. Again, thank you for your purchase and please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.

+++

Sylvi Gold 408;'s + reference WE408's.

Tempe to Chicago. Can't imagine them taking more than 2 - 3 business days.
tongue_smile.gif

Now if only I could find those elusive Mullard "Large Shield" M8161's!
rolleyes.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #125 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys -

All these miscellaneous adaptors and chip sockets can be found Stateside at: Cimarron Technology

Poke around and you'll likely find what you want w/o having to go eBay or overseas.

Edit: Mike, I just realized you're in Montreal. Still might be worth giving them a call to see if they ship to Quebec.

(If you guys don't secede before they get there)
tongue.gif

Yep they do ship here, I just placed an order. And I doubt we'll secede anytime soon, everyone seems too preoccupied by the economy.
icon10.gif

Thanks for the help all, I should have all the pieces I need.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #126 of 3,154
Just grabbed a matched tested pair of mid 70's Mullard CV4015's (M8161/EF92 equiv)

Hard to resist at 13 bux including Stateside delivery. From a listing on eBay Ireland, of all places, tho not surprising I suppose (Didn't even know there was an eBay.ie!).

Pretty impressive that the seller listed the test specs for each tube.

Looks like that was the only pair he had...the auction ended with my purchase now...oh well...

Nov 17, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #127 of 3,154
Hrm...

After taking a closer look at last week's email from Yen confirming shipment, I now see s/he uses USPS First Class rather than what I assumed would be USPS Priority Mail. I then also noticed s/he ships w/o insurance.

This leaves me somewhat uneasy.

There's no tracking number and no insurance. What happens if there's a SNAFU? Considering I just went thru a minor glitch with LD but was able to rectify the issue quickly with David by reconciling our tracking numbers.

Anyone ever have to resolve any shippping issues with Yen?

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #128 of 3,154
So, today I recieved my new OPA2107, and as promised I will try to give my impressions on the changes versus the standard opamp.

First thing I noticed was that the volume seemed lower than before, when I had the standard opamp I couldn´t go much further than around the 10 mark, and now with the OPA2107 that was way to low.

Actual sonic differences, it´s harder to say exactly what changed. What I noticed most, was that it seemed to be less bright, which in turn makes the midrange come out a bit more. Bass also seems to have become a bit louder than before, again all this could just be the slightly lower brightness, which makes the mid and bass seem louder.

So would I pick the OPA2107 over the standard opamp? Well yes, I think that mostly the slightly reduced brightness makes listening easier, and that the midrange comes out a bit more is a bonus. The bass region is probably what bothers me slightly, the upper bass is a bit more pronounced, which in it self isn´t all bad, but I think that makes the lower bass a bit more quiet.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #129 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by StratCat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm...

After taking a closer look at last week's email from Yen confirming shipment, I now see s/he uses USPS First Class rather than what I assumed would be USPS Priority Mail. I then also noticed s/he ships w/o insurance.

This leaves me somewhat uneasy.

There's no tracking number and no insurance. What happens if there's a SNAFU? Considering I just went thru a minor glitch with LD but was able to rectify the issue quickly with David by reconciling our tracking numbers.

Anyone ever have to resolve any shippping issues with Yen?

That's how he usually ships. I have ordered several pairs from him in the past and never had any problems.

The 2 week delivery response is general. I received them usually in about 4 days to Miami, FL.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #130 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's how he usually ships. I have ordered several pairs from him in the past and never had any problems.

The 2 week delivery response is general. I received them usually in about 4 days to Miami, FL.

Same here, I just bought a matched pair of Voshod 6ZH1P-EV from Yen Audio and got them within three days, Im in Texas btw. The voshods sound amazing too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #131 of 3,154
Someone stated that changing the op-amp might make a difference in bass-extension for example. I am quite happy with the stock 6J1's bass quality/extension. The WE408's just opened up the sound to different levels but lack bass seriously. I can't follow those nice jazzy bass-lines any longer
frown.gif

My question: Would i be able to logically deduce that changing the stock op-amp to a more bass-heavy one (if there is something like it) and then use the WE408A's for a brilliant combination of clear, open and detailed sound without the cost of losing bass?

Thanks

-K

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #132 of 3,154
Have you burned them in? I don't know about the op-amp but burning in doesn't cost you anything so just wait a while and burn in. See what happens.

Nov 18, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #133 of 3,154
Both have something like 40 hrs.. And actually today i made the impression that the 6J!'s lack bass while being very smooth and actually boring sounding
smily_headphones1.gif
. At this moment I'm enjoying my AD2000's with GS Voyager. Everything seems to be as it should.
smily_headphones1.gif

Haven't listened to grados too much after i got the AT's. But changes in characteristics seemed to apply to both cans. Very interesting to see how a single element in sound can change so rapidly jumping up and down, in a burn-in period of a tube..

Thanks

-K

Nov 19, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #134 of 3,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danika k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here, I just bought a matched pair of Voshod 6ZH1P-EV from Yen Audio and got them within three days, Im in Texas btw. The voshods sound amazing too!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I’m not concerned with or doubtful of Yen (his rep’s good), as that there’s no tracking check if some oddity occurs. When I originally ordered, there was negative feedback and a negative comment from a buyer complaining he never received his item, only several orders before mine. Now that I know there’s no tracking, I can easily understand how honest disputes may arise if the Postal Svc FUBARs or someone swipes that package of the front stoop.

No real biggie, but still, I’d hate to have a chance of any ill will occurring if a shipping problem happened, having myself just had a postal issue, which like I said, was resolved very easily when using the tracking data. Tracking doesn’t just protect the buyer but the seller, also.

Oh well…that being said, my order arrived shortly after posting. I ordered Monday during the day, and received it the following Monday; 5 business days. Very well packed and everything in seemingly good condition, but I won’t get to try the new tubes out ‘till later tonight, if that.

Nov 24, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #135 of 3,154
hi!

I just pinned those tubes on ebay.

364c_1_b.JPG

link

Are they any good?
Is it possible that they are the much sought after Mullard M8161 with the large shield logo?
confused_face(1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back