Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 25, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,896 of 3,154
or the alim cable or too close to an electromagnetic field 

Jan 1, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #2,897 of 3,154
Hello everyone and happy new year !

I am about to purchase this small amp in order to couple it to a Grado SR225i and a HD650 (it will mainly be for the HD650).
To be honest I read some pages of the thread but don't have the courage to read all the 194 pages ...

So I post this to ask if there is some kind of a consencus on the best tubes for this amp ?
During my reading I understood 6HM5 were often advised, is this considered the best option ? And I understood the opamp should also be changed ? Is the Muse02 still the n°1 choice ?

Thank you very much !

Jan 1, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #2,898 of 3,154
It'll be a match for the Grado, don't think the hd650 will sound at its best out of it. I know because I also own the hd650.

I went with the Mullard M8083 cv4014 blue glass tubes and changed the opamp for a Texas Instruments 2107.

Jan 1, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #2,899 of 3,154
  Hello everyone and happy new year !

I am about to purchase this small amp in order to couple it to a Grado SR225i and a HD650 (it will mainly be for the HD650).
To be honest I read some pages of the thread but don't have the courage to read all the 194 pages ...

So I post this to ask if there is some kind of a consencus on the best tubes for this amp ?
During my reading I understood 6HM5 were often advised, is this considered the best option ? And I understood the opamp should also be changed ? Is the Muse02 still the n°1 choice ?

Thank you very much !

My 2 cents:

I've run all my headphones from my LD I+ more than adequately, Obviously some better than others.  Due to the inherent nature of hybrid amps, lower impedance headphones will perform better as well as higher sensitivity headphones.  With that being said, I have had no problems driving my Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600Ω at low gain.

As far as tubes, so far I have liked the EI Yugoslavia 6HM5 and Western Electric WE-408A the best followed by the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV from what I've tried.  For OP AMPS I can say that the Burson V5i is the best out of what I've tried so far.  Feel free to look at my photo albums to see what gear I tested as of now.

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,900 of 3,154
Thank you for your answers !

Quote:
It'll be a match for the Grado, don't think the hd650 will sound at its best out of it. I know because I also own the hd650.

Yes I know an hybrid is not the best match for the HD650. I was planning to go with an OTL amp (LDIII, Darkvoice 336SE, Bottlehead Crack), but I really don't like the design of the LDIII, and I missed the Darkvoice on Massdrop few weeks ago. I am still willing to acquire a DV 336 or BH Crack if it comes again on Massdrop.

So for the LD 1+ I think I will try first the EI 6HM5 as they are the less expansive after the Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV and people seems to prefer them.
For the op-amp I really hesitate as the cost rise quickly for a $105 amp :
LM4562 (3€)
OPA2107 (18,07€)
MUSES01-02 ($41)
Burson V5i ($55)

Jan 1, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,901 of 3,154
  Yes I know an hybrid is not the best match for the HD650. I was planning to go with an OTL amp (LDIII, Darkvoice 336SE, Bottlehead Crack), but I really don't like the design of the LDIII, and I missed the Darkvoice on Massdrop few weeks ago. I am still willing to acquire a DV 336 or BH Crack if it comes again on Massdrop.

Another OTL you might want to consider is the Feliks Audio Ellise:

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #2,902 of 3,154

Another OTL you might want to consider is the Feliks Audio Ellise:

http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

Hello gibosi,

Thanks for the reference, it seems really good but it is way out of my budget :) I am considering something more at $200 ($300 max)...

---EDIT---

Oh I just saw the Espressivo model which is more affordable at $350. I might consider it indeed.

Jan 1, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,903 of 3,154

Hello gibosi,

Thanks for the reference, it seems really good but it is way out of my budget :) I am considering something more at $200 ($300 max)...

---EDIT---

Oh I just saw the Espressivo model which is more affordable at $350. I might consider it indeed.

And the fact that Feliks is in Poland makes shipping more attractive. A number of folks living in Europe find that the price advantage of the Crack, for example, is cancelled out by the cost of shipping. Anyway, having choices is always good.

Cheers

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #2,904 of 3,154
Hi, i'd like to change the potentiometer of the LD I+ by another one (some people says that the soundstage and the sound is better). Does somebody have references of a good one to buy on the internet ... I'have read that CERMET (ceramic) are better than ALPS (and thinner) but I don't know what model take (number of pins to solder and ohms suitable for the LD I+)

Many thks to those having informations 

PS : If you have other references for other spare parts to change like capacitors or coax plug, it will be great to know wath is working on (exact references to buy it on internet easely) and wath is the best to buy to upgrade it.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #2,905 of 3,154
I'm currently looking at the drop for the Little Dot 1+, what is the difference in term of sound with the WE408 and 6CQ6 ? What would be the better choice if I'm mostly  listening to EDM, country and a bit of rock.

Jan 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,906 of 3,154
Haven't heard the two tubes you mentioned, but seem to remember from when I bought mine that the add on price for the tubes wasn't massively competitive.
Have a look on ebay and see what the prices are.

That said, the stock tube isn't great and the Western Electrical 408A is well respected.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #2,908 of 3,154
  Hi, i'd like to change the potentiometer of the LD I+ by another one (some people says that the soundstage and the sound is better). Does somebody have references of a good one to buy on the internet ... I'have read that CERMET (ceramic) are better than ALPS (and thinner) but I don't know what model take (number of pins to solder and ohms suitable for the LD I+)

Many thks to those having informations 

PS : If you have other references for other spare parts to change like capacitors or coax plug, it will be great to know wath is working on (exact references to buy it on internet easely) and wath is the best to buy to upgrade it.

Changing the POT using the existing case would be difficult due to lack of space unless you can find a good quality POT same size like the original.I managed to changed the pot after i butchered mine(changed the case) i've used a generic POT leftover from my BH CRACK Build,The differenced in sound by changing the POT is a big step-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back