Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jan 24, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #1,726 of 3,154

Ilove: I'd like to be able to do that; however, I currently have my LD1+ on top of my digital piano, and with the WE408A tubes, the unit runs a lot hotter... I know the top of the Yamaha CP 300 is metal, and that it can take a certain amount of heat... But I don't know how much before it might discolor the paint... Perhaps the cut-out would make the unit run cooler, but the heat would likely radiate out of the bottom cut-out, possibly making the heat transference to the piano top issue worse... So, there's a question-mark there...

HI,
  Actually i don't run my LD with open bottom i still put back the cut-out plate held by a masking tape  for  now until i find a  hinge and latch that i like to hold it in place.

Jan 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM Post #1,727 of 3,154
  HI,
  Actually i don't run my LD with open bottom i still put back the cut-out plate held by a masking tape  for  now until i find a  hinge and latch that i like to hold it in place.

I too, am looking for hinges.  The problem seems to be the clearance between the bottom plate and the tops of the larger capacitors.  So I am looking for two narrow hinges, one for each side.   Do you have any ideas for a suitable latch?

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #1,729 of 3,154
Has anyone pulled the volume knob off at all?
How does it come off?
Just thinking of replacing it with something with a bit of texture rather than it being smoother than my dad's head 
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #1,730 of 3,154
How does it come off?
Just thinking of replacing it with something with a bit of texture rather than it being smoother than my dad's head 
biggrin.gif

You should be able to prise the knob from the spindle.  It is probably a splined spindle, as there is no retaining screw.  I would remove the tubes before attempting to remove the knob, as it may require some effort if it's a tight fit.

It would look cool with a knob from some vintage radio, or similar.  Post a pic when your'e done :)

Jan 26, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #1,731 of 3,154
How does it come off?
biggrin.gif

Mine pulled right off. Almost too easily...

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #1,732 of 3,154
This is very good to know!

I would really like to replace mine too. If I am measuring correctly, the stock knob is about 22mm wide x 17mm tall.... Maybe knob a bit more than 30mm will fit? I wonder if 35mm is too large?

All those who have replaced the knob, please post a pic and tell us the size. :)

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,736 of 3,154
  I could totally be mixing this up with one of the cMoys I assembled this weekend but I believe it was D-shaped.

I just managed to pull mine off and mine was splined... maybe they used different potentiometers on different revisions or batches, who knows :)

EDIT:
Ok so done a little bit of research and if you have a splined knob (which is more likely than a D-shaped one, and also munky said it was splined :p), then it will be the 6mm splined shaft that you will want.  Due to there being a lack of D-shaped shafted knobs at this size (lololol), then I would be leaning towards yours being splined too Joe :) 

Jan 28, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #1,737 of 3,154
  I just managed to pull mine off and mine was splined... maybe they used different potentiometers on different revisions or batches, who knows :)

Thank you for sparing my pride, but I'm sure I was remembering the two or three cMoys I was working on.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,739 of 3,154
Well, I got my muses02 in today, and you know I just had to put it in... Anyway, it's acting like any new device:  A little subdued at first... Put a looped demo on my digital piano ( where I have my LD 1+ right now)... Just running it in for a few hours...

I'm currently running the WE 408A tubes...

Note: My Yamaha CP 300 has HiFi stereo outputs, both unbalanced and balanced, and is dead quiet... Hoping the sound comes up after 30 hrs. or so... The ole' 5 on, five off routine...

Friday: I order a pair of Sennheiser HD 600s... I'm hoping that that will also add to the definition I can get from my instrument... Note: I'm ordering from Sennheiser Factory Outlet... $341.00, like new, full warranty, free ship... [Note: No affiliation]

I think those cans will work well for both professional and home audio use...

Anyone have any recommendations for alternative tubes?... I'm looking for lots of air on top, fair bass, and 'there' midrange...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back