Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #751 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
Thanks John

I've been super careful about changing the tubes, being patient until I verify which family/jumper setting to set.

Is there a master list of which tubes belong to which family? That would be incredibly helpful
 
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #753 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
I'm set to the low gain as well since I only plug Grado's into the amp.

Today I received my 2107 opamp, now I have too many choices and cant make up my mind!

I have 4 opamps (stock, 1364, 49720, 2107), 3 different 408a's (Sylvania, WE, TungSol), Mullard EF91, Ediswan EF92, Valve 4010, Valve 4014...

I think I over-did it on ebay... now my head is spinning. LOL
 
Apr 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #754 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
One of my WE408a's is brighter on the top of the tube than the other one... is that normal?
 
Apr 27, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #755 of 3,129

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Posts
1,533
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of my WE408a's is brighter on the top of the tube than the other one... is that normal?


They're not manufactured with pinpoint accuracy. One of my GB408A's is darker than the other all around. The sound doesn't seem to be too much different from side to side.
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #756 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
I found the sweet spot for my ears!! WOW, its awesome...

OPA2107 & CV4010

I think I'm finally done clogging up this thread for a while
smily_headphones1.gif
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #757 of 3,129

drewfus420

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 1, 2009
Posts
519
Likes
17
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found the sweet spot for my ears!! WOW, its awesome...

OPA2107 & CV4010

I think I'm finally done clogging up this thread for a while
smily_headphones1.gif



Funny thing is I just got a LD1+ from a member here last night and swapped out to this exact combo because the tubes are what I settled on for my MK II and had some spares and the OPA2107 has been my favorite in various CMoy's.

I quite like the sound of the 1+, I am using it on my bedside table (I fall asleep with my MS1000's on
wink.gif
) and find it to be close to the quality of sound of my main desktop rigs LD MK II.
If only these had the room inside for one of my many discreet opamps...
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #758 of 3,129

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Posts
1,533
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by drewfus420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny thing is I just got a LD1+ from a member here last night and swapped out to this exact combo because the tubes are what I settled on for my MK II and had some spares and the OPA2107 has been my favorite in various CMoy's.

I quite like the sound of the 1+, I am using it on my bedside table (I fall asleep with my MS1000's on
wink.gif
) and find it to be close to the quality of sound of my main desktop rigs LD MK II.
If only these had the room inside for one of my many discreet opamps...



I wish there was an option for a different case. I'd imagine there is probably a case with similar dimensions you could buy that you could just put the bottom on it. Like, take the bottom and front plates off, install front plates onto top, and install the longer bottom. Dunno if such an item exists, but it'd be ba if it did.
biggrin.gif
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #759 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish there was an option for a different case. I'd imagine there is probably a case with similar dimensions you could buy that you could just put the bottom on it. Like, take the bottom and front plates off, install front plates onto top, and install the longer bottom. Dunno if such an item exists, but it'd be ba if it did.
biggrin.gif



I'd like an upgraded volume pot, this one is smooth but feels cheap... (I know, the amp was only $104) but upgrade options would be nice!
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #760 of 3,129

Aynjell

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 9, 2009
Posts
1,533
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like an upgraded volume pot, this one is smooth but feels cheap... (I know, the amp was only $104) but upgrade options would be nice!


I wouldn't mind trying to implement the volume ideas that were came up with by corda.
smily_headphones1.gif


Anyway, I've moved away from my Sylvania 408A entirely for one particular reason: They are the most micro-phonic tubes I own. I can hear a constant throbbing sound only reduce by me blocking the tubes with my hand. I believe it has to do with a cordless phone we've added to our home. I may have to test this, but if this IS the case, I will no longer be able to use them.
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #761 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind trying to implement the volume ideas that were came up with by corda.
smily_headphones1.gif


Anyway, I've moved away from my Sylvania 408A entirely for one particular reason: They are the most micro-phonic tubes I own. I can hear a constant throbbing sound only reduce by me blocking the tubes with my hand. I believe it has to do with a cordless phone we've added to our home. I may have to test this, but if this IS the case, I will no longer be able to use them.



That's weird, the Sylvania 408A's are the only tubes I own that do NOT exhibit any monophonic's.
 
Apr 28, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #762 of 3,129

john57

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Posts
2,715
Likes
199
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aynjell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't mind trying to implement the volume ideas that were came up with by corda.
smily_headphones1.gif


Anyway, I've moved away from my Sylvania 408A entirely for one particular reason: They are the most micro-phonic tubes I own. I can hear a constant throbbing sound only reduce by me blocking the tubes with my hand. I believe it has to do with a cordless phone we've added to our home. I may have to test this, but if this IS the case, I will no longer be able to use them.



The issue you are having is not micphonic sensitivity to physical vibration but RF interference. I will explain how I deal with that issue, time permitting. In your case it may not be just with the tubes. Stay tune!
 
Apr 29, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #764 of 3,129

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 9, 2003
Posts
1,374
Likes
84
2107 vs 1364: 2107 will provide more midrange (but not too much) with less emphasis on the highs, although they are still very present and clear. Bass is about the same IMO.

408a vs 8100: the 8100 will have a larger soundstage and IMO has provides better/tighter bass punch. Also the treble with the 8100 sounds more airy to me.
 
May 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #765 of 3,129

archigius

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 3, 2008
Posts
320
Likes
19
Hi, i need some help.

I've just received a Little Dot 1 + with the WE 408a.

I noticed that in the box there are 3 spare jumpers: is this the correct stock endowment for these? And while one is exactly like those mounted in the the amp, 2 are slightly different:

dscn5179n.jpg


And another question: can someone please post me a photo with the correct jumper settings for the the EF92? I'm afraid to make some mistake with the jumpers and to break the tubes!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top