Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Jun 21, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #2,281 of 3,154

I did not try the 627 and so I cannot comment on the sound. Since the MUSES02 has no deficiencies to my ears, once I put it in, I have not felt the need to try any others. But perhaps others have tried this opamp and are willing share their impressions?

It's fine. I think I'm going to get the OPA2107 you recommended. By the way, should I get one or two of them? According to my backtrack search, there are some opamps where I should buy two of them to work or something? How about the opa2107?

Jun 21, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #2,282 of 3,154
  It's fine. I think I'm going to get the OPA2107 you recommended. By the way, should I get one or two of them? According to my backtrack search, there are some opamps where I should buy two of them to work or something? How about the opa2107?

Fortunately, the 2107 is a dual opamp, that is two channels, so only one is required.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,283 of 3,154
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I determine the amount of gain I'm having with my tubes? Or is the gain by the LD I+ solely determine by the J3 and J4 jumpers? I remember the guy selling me my tubes saying the Mullards CV4010 being high gain or something.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #2,284 of 3,154
  Pardon my ignorance, but how do I determine the amount of gain I'm having with my tubes? Or is the gain by the LD I+ solely determine by the J3 and J4 jumpers? I remember the guy selling me my tubes saying the Mullards CV4010 being high gain or something.

In the LD 1+, the drivers are configured as cathode followers, and therefore, provide a gain of about 1, regardless of which tubes you use. So swapping tubes will not not change the gain of the amp. This is different than the LD II, III and IV, where the drivers actually drive output tubes and changing drivers can change the gain of the amp.

So yes, the only way you can change the gain of the LD 1+ is through the use of J3 and J4.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #2,287 of 3,154
I use Western Electric 408A in my LD 1+ and I got them on ebay for $15.38 total. I am very proud of that deal because I just checked and people are asking up to $68 for them right now on ebay. They sound warm sweet to me. I cannot wait to get my Hifiman HE-400s when they are available. I have a Fiio X3 and use the line-out into my LD 1+ for what sounds pretty good to my old ears. Cheers!

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #2,288 of 3,154
I use Western Electric 408A in my LD 1+ and I got them on ebay for $15.38 total. I am very proud of that deal because I just checked and people are asking up to $68 for them right now on ebay. They sound warm sweet to me. I cannot wait to get my Hifiman HE-400s when they are available. I have a Fiio X3 and use the line-out into my LD 1+ for what sounds pretty good to my old ears. Cheers!
+1 on the WE408A. Love them!

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #2,289 of 3,154

Hopefully, someone who understands this better than I will chime in here. But 4.35 (or 3.5 according to the online manual) doesn't sound all that high to me?

As far as I know my ODAC has an output of 2V, which means the LD will output about 7V (yep 3.5x gain is right, I must have been using the phone to type the previous message). That seems to make the I+ clip, resulting in the jitter noises that I had. When I turn down the ODAC to half its volume (in Windows), the I+ gives perfect sound as usual.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #2,290 of 3,154

That's half the price that I'd have to pay (for a pair) in Singapore. Still I feel OK since that's included shipping, taxes and everything else.

I'm currently having Siemens and Mullards, and they also sound very sweet. Now I really wonder if I should buy the WE408A too

Jun 27, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #2,291 of 3,154
Hiya...

My LD i+ just arrived. I'd like to ask a question to everybody here... I don't get a paper invoice from David. Is that normal?
The manuals for LD i+ stated that warranty claims need to be accompanied by proof of purchase. I only have PP screenshot as of now.

I did ask him for Digital Invoice scan a week ago while waiting for shipping and on that e-Mail while he answered my other questions, he didn't reply to my request on asking for Digital Invoice. I figured at the time, maybe he didn't do Digital Invoice request, and I can always scan the paper by myself when the LD i+ arrived but... apparently I didn't get a paper invoice either.

Is this normal or did you guys not got a Paper Invoice as well and only have Paypal as your payment proof?

2) Anybody here got a noisy stock tubes? My Grado hisses when I play them through the Stock Tube. Anybody knows a way to clean the stock tube without having to buy DeoxIT?
The only DeoxIT dealer in the country jack up the prices so high it goes at $55 a can. I'm not going to buy that at this moment, that's like half the amplifier price.

Jun 30, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2,292 of 3,154
  Hiya...

My LD i+ just arrived. I'd like to ask a question to everybody here... I don't get a paper invoice from David. Is that normal?
The manuals for LD i+ stated that warranty claims need to be accompanied by proof of purchase. I only have PP screenshot as of now.

I did ask him for Digital Invoice scan a week ago while waiting for shipping and on that e-Mail while he answered my other questions, he didn't reply to my request on asking for Digital Invoice. I figured at the time, maybe he didn't do Digital Invoice request, and I can always scan the paper by myself when the LD i+ arrived but... apparently I didn't get a paper invoice either.

Is this normal or did you guys not got a Paper Invoice as well and only have Paypal as your payment proof?

2) Anybody here got a noisy stock tubes? My Grado hisses when I play them through the Stock Tube. Anybody knows a way to clean the stock tube without having to buy DeoxIT?
The only DeoxIT dealer in the country jack up the prices so high it goes at $55 a can. I'm not going to buy that at this moment, that's like half the amplifier price.

Hi,

I can't comment much regarding the invoice, as I purchased my LD1+ elsewhere.  However, assuming you have proof of the order along with proof that you contacted David about the missing paper invoice, then I expect that David would be happy to accommodate a warranty claim.  From what I have read on various forums, David is an honourable man.  The LD1+ is an excellent little amp and a fairly robust design.  You are very unlikely to need a a warranty claim.

As for tube noise; any new tube can be noisy.  Usually the noise (typically hum and hiss) will disappear with use.  This is not unusual with tubes, as many here will testify.   You really need to let the stock tubes settle-in, which could be 10-20 (sometimes more) hours of playing.  Which tubes did you order your  LD1+ with?

Tube pins may be cleaned (gently) with any good electrical contact cleaner.  I use an ordinary electrical contact spray with good results. 

Hope this helps.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #2,294 of 3,154
  I just installed a set of WE 408A what is the amount of "break-in" time for tubes? Do I need to have the LD +1 connected to headphones to do this? Many thanks in advance.

In my experience, anywhere from 20 to 50 hours is pretty typical. That said, unless they don't sound all that good out of the box, it is certainly not necessary to run them unattended for hours at a time. Just listen to your music and enjoy.

But if you want to burn them in by running them unattended for hours at a time, then yes, Little Dot recommends that headphones should always be attached when the amp is in use. I use a $5 pair of IEMs when running the amp unattended.

Jul 4, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #2,295 of 3,154

In my experience, anywhere from 20 to 50 hours is pretty typical. That said, unless they don't sound all that good out of the box, it is certainly not necessary to run them unattended for hours at a time. Just listen to your music and enjoy.

But if you want to burn them in by running them unattended for hours at a time, then yes, Little Dot recommends that headphones should always be attached when the amp is in use. I use a $5 pair of IEMs when running the amp unattended.

That bro. I really appreciate the information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back