Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling
Dec 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #2,071 of 3,154
what would you say, in your opinion,would be the difference. I don't mind picking up a pair of 6HM5 and what brand would you recommend

Technically, since the 6HM5 is a true triode, whereas the 6AH6 is a pentode, strapped as a triode, the 6HM5 is more linear and has less distortion. What I most remember (I haven't listened to either of these tubes in a over a year) is a more holographic, 3-D presentation. You want the tall bottles, not the short, squat ones. Sylvania, GE and Ei (Yugoslavia) are all good and all cheap.

For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6HM5-EC900-EI-Yugoslavia-NOS-matched-pair-Little-Dot-Amp-FREE-SHIPPING-WW-/251691711374?

Dec 27, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,072 of 3,154
Thanks, can I ask what you are currently listening to
gs1000.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #2,073 of 3,154
Thanks, can I ask what you are currently listening to
gs1000.gif

I am currently listening to a Telefunken 6463. This is a double triode. And in order to use this tube, I have turned my Little Dot into a Little "Monster" Dot! lol. :)

I have added an external 9-pin breadboard socket. Since it is a breadboard socket, I can easily rewire it to run virtually any 9-pin double triode, for example, 12AU7, 6DJ8, 5687, 2C51 or what have you. And with adapters, I can also run tubes with different bases, such as 6SN7 and ECC40. I use two 7-pin test sockets to route the signal from the external socket into the amp. And since a number of these tubes require a higher heater current than the LD can provide, I have also added an external heater power supply comprised of a surplus laptop power supply and a step-down voltage regulator. It is pretty amazing what one can do with this little amp. :)

With a nice Tung-Sol 6SN7GT

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2,074 of 3,154
Hello, I realize this is a thread mainly about tube rolling, and not general Little Dot questions.  I would have asked in other respective threads, but they all seemed dormant from the looks of things, so I apologize if I'm looking in the wrong place.  If I'm really in the wrong spot, and anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.  Otherwise, here goes...

I recently ordered a Little Dot, and 2 Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes.  As a player of tube guitar amps, I've wanted for years some desktop tubes as part of my stereo.  I'm pretty new to the whole hifi game, and currently have a pair of Grado PS500e, as well as a Rotel amp/DAC that I'm running some low end B&Ws and a Rel T5.  My question is this:  Will running the Little Dot as a preamp make any sort of difference to my Grados?  They are a pretty neutral headphone from what I've read, and I wanted to play around with sound, etc (like any of us here, right?).  The people at the store I purchased my gear from said it wouldn't do anything, but they also didn't really know their shtick on their headphone lines when I was asking them questions.  I've tried finding the answer to this online, but don't seem to be key wording properly.  Anyone care to help a hopeless newb? lol  

Thanks for reading.

mk

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #2,078 of 3,154
I have no idea on the LD+ tbh.  I'd say not, actually, looking at the photo online now.  Just RCA inputs.  I was trying to do something on the cheap, as I thought at the time when ordering it that I needed it to run an external headphone amp for my Grados in addition to my Rotel.  Then I thought, ah what the hell, maybe I can run it as a pre.  Now, of course, I see where the problem lies if there is no out on the LD+.

So… the MK IV looks pretty nice, huh?  lol.

edit:  What tube amps you run as pre?

ah, I see your extensive list.

Dec 29, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,080 of 3,154
Awesome, thanks.  I wasn't sure which ones were which on the list despite the clear categorization.  My knowledge isn't there yet.  I think I'm going to return my LD and reallocate my funds to something along the lines of what you're mentioning.  My Rotel has an headphone jack, so I can listen with my Grados just fine for the time being.  I didn't understand the purpose of the headphone amp to begin with.  I just saw tubes, and wanted.  Sounds like I have some research to do on these preamps.  Thanks again for your insight.  I will now let this thread go back to normal. :)

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,081 of 3,154
Is anyone using a Little Dot I+ with AKG k702/k712 or is the MK III a better pairing?

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,082 of 3,154
I've read every page on this thread and can't find an answer for this, I know the LM4562 has more detail than the stock OPAMP, but does the bass suffer compared to the stock one? I don't want to go with any of the warmer sounding amps as my headphones are already pretty warm and dark and that's what I'm trying to get away from. 

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #2,083 of 3,154
Heat Fan, if you had to choose between a Dark Voice, and a LD Mk III, which would you do?

edit:  Just ordered MK III.  Also, LD+ arrived today… haven't opened it yet.  Have return label printed, but for some reason I'm finding myself tempted to open the thing instead.  

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #2,085 of 3,154
   I don't have K702 what i have is the Q701,I prefer the LD 1+ over MK III for my Q701 due to lack in bass power when using it with the MK III bass is a bit thin with the MK III IMO LD 1+ is a better choice for my Q701.

Thanks! I have an MK III and that is what I noticed. I wasn't sure if I was hearing things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back