1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Little Dot I+ Tube Rolling

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by mapstec, Sep 16, 2008.
First

Back
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Next

Last
  1. henree
    I only notice it with the Mullard's. Once I past 30 minutes the scratchiness starts to get louder and louder. I even have 3 sets of 8083's. Same thing. The left tube or pot makes these sounds.Maybe it is that family and the voltage being a problem.

2. gibosi

This is a new one on me. The only time I hear a "scratchy" sound is when the cathode (pin 2) has a poor connection. But if so, you should hear this on all your tubes. 

The 8083 is an EF91 tube.... The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the left EF91/92 jumper is a bit loose. But that is a long shot as that jumper ties pins 5, 6 and 7 together..... Otherwise, I don't have no idea.... sorry....

3. henree
    Thanks,

I think I will purchase another brand in the ef91 family. To see if I notice the same thing. Doubt it though. I did however get the 4562 back working by applying an adaptor. It is very harsh in the treble region. But good vocal detail and decent bass.
    I really want to try that MUSE you mentioned. But the price is so high. Maybe when I get my income taxes done. LOL

4. gibosi

Before I got double triode fever, this was the best EF91 I heard:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EF91-CV4014-KB-Z-GEC-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-/310114507805?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item483443dc1d

But that money, you could get a MUSES 02. lol :)

5. hsubox
    image.jpg

The Voshkods are in! Immediately better than the basic EF92 tubes. Gonna listen for a while, then play with opamps.

6. henree

I like them alot. They have great energy and detail. Very 3 dimensional sound.

7. henree
    Just to update you guys. I have yet to find a solution to the left ear static problem with my amp. It wasn't the tubes something in the circuit has gone bad. So I am giving up on this amp. Too bad because the 8083 tubes coupled with the 4562 op-amp was heaven to me. David hasn't responded to my emails either. Time to move on.

8. HPiper

Funny you should say that about David as there is a new post in (I think) the headphone forum praising their great customer service. I have noticed that about LD in reading various posts, some people seem to get exceptional service and others basically no service at all.

9. McMdk
    "6HM5 (GE, EI and Sylvania - avoid the short squat tubes - get the taller tubes"

Could someone please explain me WHY to avoid the small tubes?. (damage/sound/etc)

Thanks

10. gibosi

Sound. I found the tall tubes sounded better than the short tubes.

11. JoeDoe
    Just a few impressions for some Novosibirsk 6J3P-Es I've been giving head time:

Treble: Very smooth. Not aggressive but still lots of quality.
    Mids: Liquid. Nice and thick but still very clean.
    Bass: Full and round. Good texture. Not super deep but still extends well.

Soundstage: Better than Voskhod
    Separation: Excellent. Everything is easily pinpointed.

These tubes have given the Voskhods a run for their money. My pair at least, is quieter than the Voskhod. The Novos aren't as aggressive as the Vosks, but they are extremely quiet and still have plenty in common with their Russian cousin.

For anyone looking to try em, I highly recommend.

PS. For anyone looking to try some Tung Sols or Mullard 8083s, I'm putting mine up FS soon. If you PM me referencing this post, I'll cut you a deal!

12. sandstrom
    Just received a pair of Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV, straight from the box they sound much better then the 6JI stock tubes.

13. i luvmusic 2
    You should try 6HM5.

14. Solrighal
    Hello everyone. I'm sorry to disrupt the flow but I have a mission and I've been sent in this direction.

I'm currently using a Fiio E18 to drive my AKG Q701's. While I have no problems getting things loud there's an inherent edginess to the sound of the AKG's treble & upper mids regions.

I'd like to dial this out but I don't want to use EQ to do it. I've always fancied using valve gear and the idea of tube rolling excites me. I'm not rich so I'm thinking this is possibly the place for me.

What do you guys think? If you suggest I go for it I'll get right back to the start of this thread and begin the work.

Thanks for listening.

15. gibosi
    You have it exactly right. Tubes allow you to tailor the sound. Welcome to tube land! :)

Solrighal likes this.
First

Back
112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121
123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132
Next

Last