little dot 2 tubes question
Mar 16, 2006 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

deez

Head-Fier
anyone know what tubes to use to tube roll a LD2? they're listed as 1B2 and 4P1S used, but they seemingly must also be identified w/ different codes as these codes seem to lead to fruitless searches.

anyone w/ reassurance that the tubes wont be hard to track down if they need replacement?

thx for your responses
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 8
I bought 3 tubes at first that I thought would suit my Little Dot II, they were all 1S5 tubes. In fact as I have learned, there is 2 different versions of the LDII, one that 1s5's work on, which is version 1 and one where 1s5 tubes do not work the LDII, which is version 2. You can tell by opening up the amp and looking next to the tube sockets and seeing if there is a soldered 1k2 or not...this might be a little bit confusing, see this thread for a lot more info : http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&highlight=dot
I had the exact same questions that you had, so I think that thread will help you a lot. But, if you are looking RIGHT NOW for a tube that you would like to replace on the LDII, a 1U5 tube would be a great swap. As of now I have only received one 1U5 tube and from what I can tell, it sounds much clearer and airier, whereas the 1K2 sounds a bit bloated.

So in a nutshell, look at that thread and find out if you have a version 1 or 2 Little Dot II. If you have a version 1, a 1S5 swap should do you good. If you have a version 2 (like me), get a 1U5 or just learn to love the tube that came with it !
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 8
wonderfully helpful, thanks. i should have searched harder... it's jus that someone like you seems always ready to help at the drop of a noob question
biggrin.gif

i'm in texas too, but 3 or 4 hours away. too bad or i'd be trying to come audition your tubes, heheh. on a side note, do you know about head-fi meets in texas? i'd be interested to get to one for sure if possible.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 8
BTW, you cannot roll the 4P1S power loctal. I spent 3 weeks trying and you can only get them from China or Russia and they are very specific mil-specs that no tube store carries.

Mar 17, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm not sure about Hi-fi meets in Texas...If anyone else knows about this please inform both me and deez..
wink.gif

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by la_marquise
BTW, you cannot roll the 4P1S power loctal. I spent 3 weeks trying and you can only get them from China or Russia and they are very specific mil-specs that no tube store carries.

is loctal another word for tube? lol, excuse my noobness
tongue.gif

another new question: how's the LD2 for driving Senn 300 ohm models? any impressions and/or comparisons to millets & solid states appreciated.

Mar 18, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaphysical
how does the little dot 2 sound with the factory tubes? do you like it?

That's what I'm using right now..until my other 1U5 tube comes in...It's great, I can't really complain, I just prefer the clearer sound of the 1U5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back