Little Dot 1+ for Shure 940s - What do you think?
post-11489794
Post #1 of 5

jmorgan127

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I love the detail my Shure 940s bring and not looking to change cans.  BUT, they can tend to be a little clinical and lack engagement.

So, I was thinking... If I paired them up with a little Dot 1+ or Mk II, I could get the best of both worlds.  The warmth of the tubes without losing all of the detail.  It might take a little Tube rolling (which would be fun in itself) but I am hoping I can add in the warmth that the tubes bring to the Shure 940s.

Of course I am new to the whole Tube thing.  Currently driving the headphones out of an older Integrated.  The integrated is much much better than directly to a portable (iPhone or the like), but not there yet.

Other Components - 
- Apple TV
- Schiit Modi 2
- Myryad Intgrated
- Quad 22L Speakers (if you care)

Thanks for your thoughts

Jeff

post-11505509
Post #2 of 5

jmorgan127

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Well, I have a few looks but no responses  I am wondering if I should have posted this in the Little Dot 1+ Tube Rolling thread.  

So I guess I will put out a passionate plea for any help.   Really there is a lot of great knowledge out there and great conversations going on.   Please help me get this one going with your thoughts.

Jeff

post-11552246
Post #3 of 5

jmorgan127

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
One more try.... I am not a fan of pumping my own thread.  But I don't want to miss out on all of your wisdom.

Jeff

post-11554355
Post #4 of 5

adtrance

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
If you'd like to alter the sound of your headphones without using EQ, then a tube amp will give you some flexibility by rolling tubes and in the case of the LD 1+, the opamp as well.  For example, Ei 6HM5 tubes will give you more warmth while the Voskhod 6ZH1P-EV gives more upper treble detail.

The Little Dot is a very well received and well built unit.  Trying out different tubes is fun, tho the differences between them are subtle in my case.  For around $250, you can set yourself up with a new amp, a few pairs of tubes ($10-$40 a pair shipped) and possibly an opamp or two.

post-11555923
Post #5 of 5

jmorgan127

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply,

Very interesting, I was think the Voskhod tubes, but it sounds like that might not get me the goal of adding warmth.  

​I have played around with the EQ option, I am able to change the sound signature, the 940s will basically do anything I want them to from an EQ standpoint.  That said, they are fairly unforgiving.  I don't know the right words for it but they can tend to accentuate what I might call the "digital" sound.  My understanding is that Tubes will tend to soften that.

In any case, it sounds like the little dot 1+ might be a good place to start.  I have also recently seen the "garage" tube amps spoken of.  Any thoughts or experience on those? 

Jeff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)