Little brother absolutely wants beats for Christmas. Refuses Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, PSB, Focal and V-Moda
Nov 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #61 of 206
I went through a similar situation where my 12 year old nephew asked for my opinion about the Beats because that's what he's asking his parents for for Christmas, I gave him my opinion of the two that I've had experience with, Solo & Studio. (Solo is a complete waste of money & Studio is decent but not for the price.) It didn't sway his opinion a bit. Still wanted the Solos. That is until we were at Best Buy. I asked if he had ever listened to them and he said no. I got him to demo them and he made a face when he heard the Solos. Definitely did not like the muddiness of everything so now he's looking at something else. I did catch him eyeballing the Soul SL150s. 
rolleyes.gif
 Quick impression wasn't too bad, at least it wasn't a sloggy mess like the Beats. He hasn't heard my m80s yet tho, maybe that'll change his mind again. 
atsmile.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #62 of 206
Quote:
Here's my story on this...

Christmas time last year, my 13 year old niece said she wanted a pair Dre Beats. Despite my efforts to convince her mother otherwise, she basically said that while she believed in what I was saying in terms of better headphones for the price, or even cheaper for the price, it would not make her (my niece) happy unless she got the Beats. She wanted them probably for the same reasons that your 11 year old brother wants them now. So on Christmas morning she got the Beats and I've never seen her happier. Her happiness made my family and I happy. That's what's important. She's never going to become an audiophile no matter how many times I try to convince her about better sounding HPs. So it's better to let her be happy with the beats.

Your brother is 11 years old. Get him the Beats and make him happy. Assuming you both live under the same roof, you have plenty of time to teach him about audiophile quality HPs and equipment. 

Good luck!

Am I really the only person on Earth that find this deeply disturbing? 

You're actually raising your child to be materialistic, a blind consumer an a mindless capitalist. And you're happy about it. 
confused.gif
 What will it be when she's 18, a brand new Camaro? And of course that'll make her as happy as she's ever been.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #63 of 206
Quote:

Am I really the only person on Earth that find this deeply disturbing? 

You're actually raising your child to be materialistic, a blind consumer an a mindless capitalist. And you're happy about it. 
confused.gif
 What will it be when she's 18, a brand new Camaro? And of course that'll make her as happy as she's ever been.

Comparing Beats to a Camaro? Thats a HUGE price difference.. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #64 of 206
Quote:
Comparing Beats to a Camaro? Thats a HUGE price difference.. 

By the age of 18 it won't be...

Not always getting what you want is sometimes better than always getting what you want.

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #65 of 206
Quote:
By the age of 18 it won't be...

Not always getting what you want is sometimes better than always getting what you want.

I would never spend so much on a car. Atleast I hope I don't
biggrin.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #66 of 206
Hey Kim, if I bought you a brand new camero you'd be happy too. "Materialism be damned!! I got me a new car!!!"

This isn't about your happiness on Christmas but the happiness you create by giving joy to others through gift giving. Folks like my niece and the OP's 11 year old brother don't give a damn about audio quality. They are choosing style over substance. That's no secret. So yes, we can try to educate our siblings and relatives on the merits of having quality headphones/audio gear. Hopefully some will listen.

But when X-Mas or birthday time comes around, and said child has their heart set on owning a pair of beats or some other popular brand name that they have repeated said they wanted no matter how many times you tried to convince them otherwise. If you don't mind paying the money, you're better off just getting them what they want. To see her grinning from ear to ear was more than enough to say getting her the beats despite what I think was okay. Sorry folks but its not the end of the world if the kid wants beats. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #71 of 206

Users who are viewing this thread

Back