Lithium battery limit from TSA
Dec 29, 2007 at 11:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RYCeT

Headphoneus Supremus
Whoa, I can't believe they're able to make another restriction to annoy travelers.
Baggage ban on batteries begin

Quote:

Passengers can still check baggage with lithium batteries if they are installed in electronic devices, such as cameras, cell phones and laptop computers.

Who on their right mind will put cameras, cell phones & laptops on checked baggage and risk getting them stolen
mad.gif

Quote:

If packed in plastic bags, batteries may be in carryon baggage. The limit is two batteries per passenger.

2 batteries, this is stupid. When I travel, Electronic devices that I carried are aptop, DSLR, Cellphone, GPS, MP3 Player, Ds Lite, Camcorders. For DSLR alone, I always bring 3 spare batteries. That's for personal trips, for business trips I can see myself having more spare batteries.

TSA = Thousands Standing Around
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 12
To be honest it sounds like this applies to loose batteries, not batteries already installed in laptops and the like. I doubt that they're going to start making you take the battery out of a cell phone or laptop for your trip. Then again, I could be wrong. I guess I'll find out when I fly back to school in a week.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest it sounds like this applies to loose batteries, not batteries already installed in laptops and the like. I doubt that they're going to start making you take the battery out of a cell phone or laptop for your trip. Then again, I could be wrong. I guess I'll find out when I fly back to school in a week.

The point is, it doesn't make any sense to limit how many spare batteries people are allowed to bring into their carry on. ID check, shoe carnival, Liquid limitation idiocy. What does all that accomplish?

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The point is, it doesn't make any sense to limit how many spare batteries people are allowed to bring into their carry on. ID check, shoe carnival, Liquid limitation idiocy. What does all that accomplish?

Absolutely nothing! It's simply posturing to give the illusion of security. It's no secret that dangerous materials get through anyway. Most of the TSA personnel should be working at a zoo instead. Nah... scratch that... They're not qualified for that either.

Dec 29, 2007 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 12
And in the meanwhile the terrorists are traveling under diplomatic fake IDs freely in another line.......
tongue.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #7 of 12
No batteries? That must be a joke. *They* can't be as stupid as that!

Or they can.

BTW, in Europe it is posible to buy bottled alcohol in the duty free shops, once you went through the so-called security controls. Is this possible in other parts of the world as well?

I mean, here they let you buy a 1 liter bottle of whisky, then carry it with you as hand-luggage, the only condition being that you keep it sealed in a big plastic bag.

Which is supposed to prevent you to smash it once in the plane and use it as a weapon
rolleyes.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 12
i'm all for increased security...but the TSA in the states is a joke. they're too reactive and don't seem to think things through before implementing all sorts of restrictions. the silly liquid restriction, for example. yes, i can only bring 2 oz. bottles...but that doesn't prevent me from bringing 20 2 oz. bottles of the same liquid...so what's the purpose besides pretending like they're doing something?

same with the batteries. they THINK that a fire two years ago might have been started from some batteries...idiots.

Dec 30, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought this was only a rumor, and the ban is actually on Lithium Metal Primary batteries. Not rechargeable ones?
confused.gif

-Ed

Well, if the journalist who report this news did not even understand that, what's the chance TSA will get it? This is what will go in their mind, "2 batteries, passed" "3 batteries, busted" I don't think they will ever know the difference between Lithium Metal, Lithium Ion, or NIMD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back