LiTe DAC-Ah Worth Moding On My Setup
Mar 14, 2006 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm trying to decide on a new source for my setup (AV-710->PIMETA (AD8620/10)->HD580). I'm leaning twoard the Lite DAC-AH since it seems to be favored over the 0404 onboard DAC and I'll be able to use it if I move to a laptop in the future. My only question is whether it worth getting the DAC-AH and getting it modded at once or just use it as is. I'd like to cap my budget for a source upgrade at ~$150. Would the difference even be noticeable on my setup? Any input would be apreciated.

Mar 14, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #2 of 9
Get the stock DAC-Ah first, and if you're happy with the sound, then put the upgrades on the back-burner. I plan on adding in that DAC into my setup fairly soon, and don't plan on modding it just yet. To echo what you've said, I've also read very positive reviews about the DAC even in stock form.

Also, don't forget to allot a portion of your budget towards a decent glass optical cable. If you search "Glass Toslink" on Audiogon, you'll get the Glass Toslink cable that has been raved about many times on this forum. Grab one
tongue.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 9
I guess my concern is that I've heard some complaints about power supply noise with the DAC-Ah. But these complaints seem to be from just a few and not too common. So a stock DAC-Ah will sound as good (or better) than a stock 0404? If so, I'll be picking up one of these soon.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 9
I also investigated those issues, and even talked to a member who had originally complained. He assured me it was a minimal problem, and who knows...it could be caused by something other than the DAC-Ah. I don't know about you, but I can't wait to get mine
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I definately can't wait to get it. I've already made room on my desk for it.

If power supply noise is an issue, a cheap power conditioner like the Monster Power AV200 might take care of it. They seem to run $25-$30 and might be worthwhile even if there is no power supply noise.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 9
I like mine. It was a little "grainy" before I bypassed the active output. So yes, It is worth modifing and cheap to do so.

I noticed a huge difference, especially in the bass, over the AV-710 with HD580's even with out modification and It was all positive.

I have no issues with the ps and noise. I do have issuses with the DACs only getting 6V when they should be getting 8V according to the schematic. With some help over at DIY I hope to correct this.

Take Care,
Sam

Mar 14, 2006 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 9
I've heard of people bypassing the active output. Is it safe to do this when feeding a speaker power amp directly? Or will this cause impedance matching issues, or too low of signal level(causing noise to be amplified when the volume is turned up)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back