Listing your equipment in your sig: Attention seeking or helpful???
Apr 18, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Connectz

100+ Head-Fier
I made this thread because a few weeks ago I read in a thread where someone thought someone was bragging because they had all their equipment listed in their sig.

Well, to be honest, I don't think listing one's equipment in their sig to be bragging at all. In fact, I think this practice is quite helpful. How is it helpful? Well, speaking for myself and probably others, tech-sigs help me find out different equipment combinations and what-not. Also, they help find out the different products as well.

If it hadn't been for someone's sig, I most likely wouldn't have heard of the Total Bithead amp until some time later.

So thanx to all those that take the time to list/format all their equipment in their sig.

Your opinions please.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 80
i find it quite helpful actually. i've already PM a few members on this board and have also received PM's just about questions on their equipment.

if it weren't for sigs, i wouldn't have known what a PA2V2 looked like, lol

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 80
I don't think it's bragging if just a rig is listed, but when someone starts to list every single piece of gear they have in every iteration possible in a very long list...it gets annoying. Usually sig rigs help me put the person's point of view in context, and helps me figure out what combinations ahve worked for other people. I appreciate sig rigs mostly, and it's only the one in a thousand case that I'd even remotely consider bragging.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 80
I find it quite helpful. It also gives you a chance to see what else they have experience of and might have an opinion to share.

Although some may feel it is bragging rights.

It might also be said that most people sigs are either funny/ annoying. Depends on which side of the coin you look at.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #6 of 80
I think it's a pretty good idea in general, although I don't have any equipment in my sig right now. Besides spreading some general knowledge about what equipment is out there, it helps to put people's comments in perspective.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 80
I guess it makes you cool to be anti-something, and this is just another manifestation of that :shrug:

Across all disciplines (overclocking, photography, and headphones), I've found sigs to be really helpful. Not only do you get to stumble across previously unknown equipment, but also do you get some idea of the poster's "credibility" and experience. Sure, perhaps Headfiers use the person's linked profile for that, but trust me, those profiles are barely used elsewhere, so habits carry over.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 80
helpful... i never thought of it as attention seeking or anything bad: i always figured it was a public service to figure out what people have so similar rigs could possibly mean similar sound preferences...

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 80
Bragging???
rolleyes.gif
... just because you list gear in your sig... people think youre bragging
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I hardly consider it bragging.

I keep my sig simple, I just think it looks better when you scroll down a page of thread posts. Just click my profile link to see my gear list.

I do like to list my fave bands in my sig. IMHO it all starts and ends with the tunes. The stuff in the middle is just copper wire, resistors, capacitors, inductors and other overpriced, overmarketed junk.

Garrett

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 80
Listing your stuff in your sig is always useful as it lets me know what you are using as a base reference, shows your sonic preference and generally lets others know where you're coming from.

If I see a totally Senn setup listed, I know what kind of sound they are basing comparisons on and can mentally adjust to compensate. Likewise a Grado setup as I can readily see their baseline signature. Knowing what they listen to and the family signature of that equipment is good for a general knowlegebase. Without that I have to make a lot more presumptions and makes life more difficult in a subjective assessment.

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Bragging???
rolleyes.gif
... just because you list gear in your sig... people think youre bragging
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I hardly consider it bragging.

I keep my sig simple, I just think it looks better when you scroll down a page of thread posts. Just click my profile link to see my gear list.

I do like to list my fave bands in my sig. IMHO it all starts and ends with the tunes. The stuff in the middle is just copper wire, resistors, capacitors, inductors and other overpriced, overmarketed junk.

Garrett

I don;t consider it as bragging myself personally.

although i would love to see the sigs size of wmcmanus, hirsch, bozebuttons and ayt999 if they listed everything in their sig.
rs1smile.gif

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #13 of 80
I like to use it for reference when I am reading peoples thoughts on gear... makes it easy so I dont have to go and check out their profile... unless I want to greater know their frame of reference in which case gear they have owned can be useful too...

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 80
I like to see what other Head-Fi'ers listen to on a daily basis, especially when they have similar tastes in music and have similar components. As long as it's not very obtrusive that is...

Apr 18, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #15 of 80
I don't mind. It's common practice to list your stuff in your sig in the computer/overclocking community as well. I enjoy seeing what people have. A few people I've seen had gear in their sig I was interested in buying so I just shot them a PM asking what they think about the said piece of gear. It also makes it easier when giving suggestions when someone asks what to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back