Listening to the AKG K1000 is just too serious.
Nov 14, 2008 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

mofonyx

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello there.

The AKG K1000 is just sometimes too serious for me. You know, you can't really move your head vigorously to anything. Can't really wave you arms around in case you hit your elephant ears
k1000smile.gif

Then there's the comfort issue that I have, where the temple pads dig into my temples. So I wear a beanie to get around this.

It's also a very fragile headphone, so I can't just leave it plugged in and lying around like I do to my HD600. I wouldn't want to dent the cage!

Because of how serious and meticulous listening to the AKG K1000 is, I find that I don't 'enjoy' my music as much as I do when I listen to my HD600. There's just so much to think about with the AKG K1000 that the HD600 gives a more carefree listen.

Hmph. I love them, but I cannot be unconditional
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #2 of 41
I feel similarly to you. I could write many paragraphs about the pros and cons, but at the end of the day it boiled down to difficulty in simply enjoying the music. I utterly respect the K1000 and think it is a true marvel - but as a primary headphone it just did not work out for me.....YMMV of course.

I still haven't plucked up the courage to change my avatar yet
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 41
Could always be a 2ndary headphone...I imagine if you do like the sound, you'll eventually want to hear them again even if you don't use them as much. I've bought and sold and bought again too many headphones to realize that I should just have a few of them because I'll eventually miss them and want to listen to them. But I love the k1000 sound so they'll pretty much always be my reference headphone.

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #5 of 41
I initially considered about having it as a secondary 'phone. However, with my months with the K1000, the one thing I have learned is that they are amongst, if not the most demanding in terms on ancilary equipment. Whilst budget-oriented or stopgap gear can make them work, to get them to their peak you need some very serious gear. Perhaps one day when budget allows for such high-end goods for a secondary pair
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 41
The K1000's are like a hot girl-friend, they can be very pleasing, but they have to be taken care of, and require a lot of attention when around.

When having these you must have a secondary pair, no question about it.

However, I'm yet to listen to better headphones. For me so far they are by far the best headphones there are, and even though I hardly used mine (which I've sold last week), when I did, it was like nothing else. The experience was worth every time I asked myself "why? why the ____ build something that stupid?!". The sound answers any questions you might have.

Nov 15, 2008 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello there.

The AKG K1000 is just sometimes too serious for me. You know, you can't really move your head vigorously to anything. Can't really wave you arms around in case you hit your elephant ears
k1000smile.gif

Then there's the comfort issue that I have, where the temple pads dig into my temples. So I wear a beanie to get around this.

It's also a very fragile headphone, so I can't just leave it plugged in and lying around like I do to my HD600. I wouldn't want to dent the cage!

Because of how serious and meticulous listening to the AKG K1000 is, I find that I don't 'enjoy' my music as much as I do when I listen to my HD600. There's just so much to think about with the AKG K1000 that the HD600 gives a more carefree listen.

Hmph. I love them, but I cannot be unconditional
frown.gif

A bit petty IMO. Why do you wave your arms when listening to music? Why would you leave any expensive headphone lying around..Maybe I'm tougher then you, but my 48's with rubber pads were very painful after an hr..But the great sound made up for it.. Now I can listen for 2 hrs without pain.You will adapt to it, if you can take the minor discomfort..Of course, I use to walk 8 to10 miles with shin splints, so maybe my pain tolerance is higher then yours.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #8 of 41
It just leaves no freedom for movement, don't take my words literally, a lot of it is figurative. I tend to be like that.

I'm already annoyed being chained to my system by wires, the AKG K1000 takes it to a whole different level.

I still love it though, not unconditionally.

That's why I don't pick out superhotgirls to be girlfriends. I've had my fair share, thought they brought more troubles than joy. I prefer the low-profile girl next door that people tend to overlook.

Nov 15, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I'm yet to listen to better headphones.

I am suprised at this. OP do you have a quality speaker amp for them (no headphone amp that I've heard does them justice, including the B22 IMO)? The K-1000s are amazing to the point where I'd use them if they had spikes going through my temples. I couldn't imagine the minor inconveniences preventing the kind of sound you get from these.

Of course I also play LPs although the are a total pain compared to CD.... where's your passion for great sound...
tongue.gif
kidding

Nov 15, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #11 of 41
This is hard thing to comment on. I truly believe that this passion that we all have should be something you enjoy. And yes the K1000's are something you enjoy in the sense that they are a novelty but will they ever be your go to cans I doubt it! That being said I think they are like a 1960 Ferrari, keep them because they are classic and will one day be priceless (so to speak) don't let em go.

Nov 15, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 41
I still go to that magical beast once in a while. My room doesn't have space for a comfy chair.

I am a very patient person and can wait another year before I move into a bigger room to get a comfy chair to truly enjoy the K1000.

Some replying to this thread have said things like, the pain, the hassle and all that is worth going through because the sound is great. Consider having extremely long days, the last thing you want to do is crank your head around how comfortable you would be with your headphones.

I just want to sit, chill and enjoy. Nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back