listening thru ipod line out w/o amp!
Jul 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

slowth

500+ Head-Fier
Just out of curiousity's sake, I tried to A/B my nano's headphone out vs the lineout without an amp.

I used a sendstation dock at the lineout and my freq shows into the dock. At the risk of my ears, I listened to some lossless/high encoded songs. To my amazement, the difference was stark!!! Of course the volume was almost at my listening threshold so I did not leave it in too long.
The sound's definitely better, very much clearer than through the headphone out. Of course due to the volume, it was abit harsh but musically wise it was good I must say.

In fact, my bro and I concluded that the diff b/w headphone w/o amp and line out w/o amp was greater than the jump between headphone out w amp and line out w amp. I.E. same comparisons between headphone out and line out but 1 with amp and 1 without amp.
the amp in this case was my headsix.

Now.. do you think it's possible I used a level attenuator, connected it along with my earphones to the sendstation dock and live with this set up?
Maybe some others who've been crazy enough risk their ears can lend their impressions too =)

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 27
Try the level attenuator. I was going to suggest that as i was reading it,until i got to the part where you asked about it.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 27
i see.. I understand the headphone part.. but for like earphones and some in-ear monitors? usually powerful enough no?

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 27
People love to buy toys,like headphone amps, whether needed or not, and if it sounded good without it, that would ruins everyones fun!
smily_headphones1.gif

Personally i love having my little toys around, and i collect small amps.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #8 of 27
When i had a 4th gen iMod I sometimes couldn't be bothered to bring an amp and used it with E4C and the Shure atenuator and the sound was actually very good. Recently I had a pm from antonyfirst who had tried the same with his iMod and big cap dock and also found it surprisingly good.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 27
I tried once going from the line-out on my Zen Vision: M directly to my EP630s. It was loud.
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 27
I'm okay with sensitive IEMs straight out of portables. A big phone (in my case K701/HD595) will never do without an amp, however...

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:33 AM Post #12 of 27
slowth what phones were you using?

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #14 of 27
great i'm strongly considering getting a pair of freqshows or livewires so let us know how the shure attenuater works out.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #15 of 27
I've tried them already =)

It definitely is a step up from the headphone out but sometimes it's a lil uncontrolled... not totally harsh per se... just not very smooth, just a lil edgy..

an amp sorta smoothens it out =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back