List your various ways to improve the ATH-M50s
Jul 23, 2011 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Player1josh46

100+ Head-Fier
Just as the title says: Put down any ideas or things you would like to say that would improve the M50s in these areas:

Sound Quality(Lows, Mids, Highs, Tremble, Bass, etc)

Comfort

Durability

Anything else you can think of....

You can list mods, amps, or just simple techniques that you think can make the M50s an even better set of headphones.

-Player1josh46 
dt880smile.png

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #2 of 9
Jul 23, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

You can make them better by selling them and putting the money towards simply better headphones.

evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Or donate them maybe??
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 9
If only. But let's just say you got the M50s and like them alot but want to see other people's suggestions that could make them even better. I am not spending any more money on better headphones that cost more money. Let's see what we can do with the M50s.

-Player1josh46
dt880smile.png

Jul 23, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Heya,

You can make them better by selling them and putting the money towards simply better headphones.

evil_smiley.gif

Very best,

Haha ,,

_______

For me,  its nothing more than having a better source (better sound card or DAC / Better  AMP),,
better quality recordings (FLAC/ALAC/WAV instead of MP3 or at least mp3 320Kbit)

Comfort aspect,  I am thinking about replacing the pleather earpads with lets say Beyers DT250 velour cushions

I am afraid sound quality would change due to less isolation.. but hell they seem comfortable.

Jul 23, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 9
I do a few things for my M50's and they went from adequate cans with ok sound to something which will satisfy me for a long time.

1. defoam mod (remove the foam backing of each pad)
2. electrical tape roll under the pad mod (make 8 or so rolls with electrical tape and slide 4 of them under each pad)
3. parametric equalization
4. headband stretching
5. replacing most of my music to lossless/320kbps files

It's ridiculous how bad the M50's sound / feel if I remove these modifications now, especially the parametric equalization.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
I do a few things for my M50's and they went from adequate cans with ok sound to something which will satisfy me for a long time.

2. electrical tape roll under the pad mod (make 8 or so rolls with electrical tape and slide 4 of them under each pad)
4. headband stretching

It's ridiculous how bad the M50's sound / feel if I remove these modifications now, especially the parametric equalization.

I tried your electrical tape mod and it worked in making my ears no longer touch the drivers, but i didnt notice improvements in sound. In fact I thought that the music sounded kinda muffled when I used them and only if i turned up the volume to ear hurting levels did i notice it go back to good clarity. i did the mod just as you instructed and moved them around but it still sounded veiled compared to without them.

Jul 24, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I tried your electrical tape mod and it worked in making my ears no longer touch the drivers, but i didnt notice improvements in sound. In fact I thought that the music sounded kinda muffled when I used them and only if i turned up the volume to ear hurting levels did i notice it go back to good clarity. i did the mod just as you instructed and moved them around but it still sounded veiled compared to without them.

Quote:

4. headband stretching

As for the other points you made.

1. did the mod and it did add clarity which is good.

2. Already explained that

3, i will be using my ipod most of the time so that doesnt help that does it?

4. stretching it made it more comfortable but there is still a slight clamp which is a neccesary evil

5. i never could find a simple way to get FLAC files for my music on itunes using windows 7. any suggestions for that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back