List of DAP that's worthy of amping the HP-out
Nov 2, 2008 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

knights

500+ Head-Fier
so far, what ive gathered from here are: (you can add more)

Zune 80
Cowon D2
Sony Sxxx
Sansa Fuze

and what makes them worthy on this setup? is it because of their loudness @ max, RMAA figures, overall SQ or any other factors?

Nov 2, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 11
I have found no DAP where its worth amplifying the headphone out.
Amplifying the line-out is a different matter though...

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 11
That's bad. It leaves me with no choice but to get an imod for my re-1s instead of any cheap good flash-based players.

Nov 2, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #4 of 11
phone out is not designed to be amp-ed
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 11
I think i'll still get the fuze and amp it though.

Nov 2, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #6 of 11
i amp my cowon iaudio 7... definitely worth it...
i don't know what krmathis is thinking, you can ask other people, but if you're using headphones/earphones which are 32 ohm or more, it definitely makes a difference... and to ljcii, i also have re1s and it makes sense amping them from a sansa fuze even from HP-out...

Nov 2, 2008 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 11
I'm gonna' get a Corda 3Move in early 09 and amp my HP out from my Zune 120. Too many people have said it greatly improves the sound quality of the player, and this is also w/others besides the Zune. So yeah, get an amp, and a good female to female short cable, and amp away. I'm gonna have my budget Fiio in about a week. I'll be in cheap-azz audio bliss!!! Till I can get my 3Move that is!!!!

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shauntell47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i amp my cowon iaudio 7... definitely worth it...
i don't know what krmathis is thinking, you can ask other people, but if you're using headphones/earphones which are 32 ohm or more, it definitely makes a difference... and to ljcii, i also have re1s and it makes sense amping them from a sansa fuze even from HP-out...

I am thinking as follows...
Its rarely (or ever) a benefit to double-amplify the audio signal. Since amplifying the headphone out will amplify an already amplified audio signal. The signal will first be amplified in the DAP's built in amplifier, then sent on to the external amplifier and amplified once again. Which can't be good for the sound quality.

Amplifying the line-out, of an iPod or similar, is another matter though. Since the amplification will solely be done in the external amplifier.

Edit: Others are of course entitled to have different opinions about double-amplifying.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Others are of course entitled to have different opinions about double-amplifying.

You are, actually, very much correct. The only thing is that w/some of the players we posses we really have no option BUT to amp the HP out. I'm hoping that a LOD will become available for my Zune, as well as my Sony, before I get a real amp come the new year. Untill then, I'll have to settle for what MS, and Sony, have given. And, hope that double-amping doesn't distort the fine SQ these players produce.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #10 of 11
I hope that there's a line-out for the fuze too. I think i'm getting it for it's amazing price.

Nov 2, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #11 of 11
LODs are overrated. It is just a HPO but with a fixed volume for optimal s/n ratio or for whatever reason they do it. An audio player with a discretized volume scale could achieve the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back