LISA III Available for Order
Jul 5, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #901 of 1,070
WOW I sure look forward to hearing more about the ValveCode!!!!!

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #903 of 1,070
The Valve-Code looks very nice - can't wait to get my review loaner!

Oct 11, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #905 of 1,070
Indeed, the Lisa III is terrific. But in this case it is the Valve-Code I am getting a review loaner on - I reviewed the Lisa III long ago
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #906 of 1,070
A comment on the Lisa lll. I got the first set sold of Lisa lll and ppl last November. That was after the first Lisa's had come out and Skylab had reviewed them. I had a few ongoing issues with Brad including a damaged Volume knob and the connector cable between the Lisa and the ppl but overall i praised the amp. I used it at my computer with a tube hybrid separate over at the cd and dac player.
I had never been able to resolve the issue with the connector, at one time i had jimmy rigged some radio shack parts due to a somewhat nonstandard set up. Brad sent me a new connector that didn't fit and we finally figured out that mine had been made during a point when parts were out or something and they had used a non standard plug or something.

Brad ended up replacing both and sending me a new set which I received today.

At first i pulled it out and it looked great but there was a screw in the box and a rattle inside the LLP. I shook my head and looked for an allen wrench that would fit. Luckily I had one or it ended up being two.
The rattle inside the LLP was the bolt from the screw that was in the box. It was the one that connected the plug to the back panel. I figured out how to put it all back together and the only casualty was that one of the threads that the screws fit into on the front panel got stripped.

Well Brad had asked me to listen to it for a week and compare it to my original Lisa after it was broken in and let him know what i thought. It is supposed to be the same circuit board.

I have been listening for about 20 minutes now but it was more than obvious in the first 20 seconds that something has changed. The sound is much more toward that of a tube amp than my original. It sounds smoother by far. The bass knob is also way more sensitive (wider range) but still subtle. I am very impressed, wondering what more will happen with break in. I a/b ed it to double check and it was even more than i had imagined. I am prone to ear fatigue at times and would have an occasional problem with that issue on the original Lisa on long sessions but i don't anticipate that to be a problem with the new one.

I am curious what changes were made from the original or if units just vary. Both sound good but I like the sound of the new one much better thus far.

I appreciate the fact that Triad and Brad do step forward and support there products in deed as well as word and after having the first Lisa for a year now recommend it to anyone who wants home amp sound in a transportable/portable amp. Portable depending on your definition of course. I carry it in my pocket on dog walks for instance but some may find it cumbersome.

Well wanted to post this somewhere and this seemed to be the best place.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #907 of 1,070
Skylab.. yes you shall have the Valve Code for review soon!

Dallan.. I am glad all issues have been resolved with your Lisa III
and LLP set. sorry it has taken this long. I would like everyone to know we now have plenty of LLP's to go with Lisa's as sets. Alternate PSU's have been an issue since day one. Several Lisa's have been damaged from incorrect incoming voltage , by people wanting to save a few bucks. (noise is also an issue) In order to
help Lisa survive such abuse, 3 capacitors have been changed,
to higher tolerance. This is the only part change that has been made for this run. Perhaps this has changed the sound sig.
Oh ya, and thanks for the heads up on the loose screw. I will locktite them from now on. Cheers Brad

Nov 7, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #910 of 1,070
the differences with the new Lisa are obvious if side by side.. face plates are full 1/4 in. and have the nuts (behind pots) recessed, back plates also counter bored for better RCA connection. Knobs are now custom made by our machinist rather
than bought off the shelf, (when available) Screws are recessed.
The circuit is the same although the board has changed for easier assembly. So Lisa is a looker now, and the sound, Oh, the sound
has got more POWER behind it than any other portable available.
The sound is what it is all about!!

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #911 of 1,070
Yes, I agree the sound is still the best I have ever experienced. In the 1 year I've owned my Lisa I've owned and sold: iQube, SR-71, Pico and Move.

Let me add another outstanding characteristic of the Lisa - Customer service. I've needed service now twice on my Lisa (operator error in both cases). Emails were answered promptly, the amp was sent in and fixed promptly, and returned via FedEx. Service right at the top of the list!

It is wonderful to know that not only is this a GREAT amp, but the company stands behind it, supports it and is a pleasure to deal with.

First class in my book.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #912 of 1,070
I bought and sold the original LISA III several months ago.
I noticed when I touched the volume knob,there was a slight noise.
Is there a volume knob problem on the new LISA III?

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #913 of 1,070
The knobs were never a problem with either one I've had.

I have been burning #2 for over a week and not listening to the old one, just charging the old batteries and i am going to give it an a/b listen again before i send my original back. I am pretty sure the difference will be as before, a slight bit smoother on the newer one and the bass pod making more of a difference(not quite as subtle) which is great for me.

x2 on the sound sig! I have a pico and hornet and Lisa is in a different class. I still use the pico when i want to be very light/mobil, the Hornet gets like no use, and the Lisa takes the brunt of the use outside with the ALO harness.

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #914 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought and sold the original LISA III several months ago.
I noticed when I touched the volume knob,there was a slight noise.
Is there a volume knob problem on the new LISA III?

A noise like that could indicate bad ground between the volume pot & case.
The 1st lisa's had exposed nuts on the outside, (not now) if that nut is already
tight, remove the Volume knob, remove the nut & washer. scratch the anodizing
that the washer would cover, reinstall.
2. If the noise still exists, could be bad pot, send it in to replace.
3. worse case ,it still has problems, we will replace the amp.

Have your new owner contact: triadaudio@gmail.com

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM Post #915 of 1,070
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remitrom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A noise like that could indicate bad ground

2. If the noise still exists, could be bad pot, send it in to replace.
3. worse case ,it still has problems, we will replace the amp.

Have your new owner contact: triadaudio@gmail.com

I have this problem since the day I receive my Lisa XP (Last batch before the new one out, I guess?), does this a defect amp all of this time?
Is it still possible to get it fixed? I've been enduring the noise everytime I touch the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back