Liquid Platinum Tube Rollers.
Mar 10, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #1,666 of 1,802
Hey folks, I'm getting ready to buy some more tubes. I also have a MJ2 btw. I wanted to try the 12AU7 variety. I got some adaptors from Tubemonger. I have some 7730s from Wes that I will finally swap in, but I don't have any other 12AU7 pairs. After reading this thread, here are some that I am looking at:

https://www.langrex.co.uk/products/ecc82-cv491-mullard-blackburn-nos-valve-tube/

https://pulsetubestore.com/products...-m-pairs-quads-singles?variant=39502403731647

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115113782989

Any feedback/advice before I pull the trigger?

Thanks!
I would also recommend a pair of tubes from Brimar CV4003 from 1960s, because i have a matched pair that were bought from upscale audio. They are very similar to the mullards, but have a bit more air on top. A very balanced tube with sweet midrange. I happen to love it and there is also the radiotechique 1958 tunes French military use you find on eBay sometimes. Very nice tube with finesse and derail with out being too focused

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,667 of 1,802
Those 7730 are in another league, so you might have a hard time trying to best them with other 12AU7. To switch things up, I would include the 5814 tube type to the mix as well, and it's an equivalent that best most 12AU7. I would look for some CBS-HYTRON Black Plate Square Getters, or Sylvania triple mica short grey plates, as they are both outstanding tubes, that can hang with the 7730 detail wise, but with a different stage presentation.

https://tubemaze.info/cbs-hytron-5814a-black-plates/

https://tubemaze.info/sylvania-jhs-5814-gray-plates/
Thanks, Wes. All the ones you mention require the same adapters, correct? Before @TK16 says something like “if you want to hear music”, I’ve never used adapters in any amp and don’t want to damage amps or tubes, so better safe to ask :) I don’t know enough about all tube families, yet.

Mar 10, 2022 at 9:32 AM Post #1,668 of 1,802
Thanks, Wes. All the ones you mention require the same adapters, correct? Before @TK16 says something like “if you want to hear music”, I’ve never used adapters in any amp and don’t want to damage amps or tubes, so better safe to ask :) I don’t know enough about all tube families, yet.
Sure thing, and yes same adapters for 12AU7 and the 5814.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #1,669 of 1,802
Just remember. The CV4033 is only compatible with your MJ2. 12at7 doesn't work in the LP.
Now... with that said. You can use the CV4034 in the LP. It's a 12au7.

Mar 10, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #1,670 of 1,802
Just remember. The CV4033 is only compatible with your MJ2. 12at7 doesn't work in the LP.
Now... with that said. You can use the CV4034 in the LP. It's a 12au7.
Oh! Ok, I thought I could use either. Thank you for pointing that out, Sam! Man, I can really do some damage here :)

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,671 of 1,802
Hi all,

I just tried The 7730 I got from @Wes S and to my ears it is as good as the Telefunken E188CC, which is my favorite tube (but can't get it anymore at anything that costs less than the amp itself). In some respects such as fuller instruments and nicer mids for example, the 7730 may actually be a bit ahead. I still like the clarity of the E188CC, so I can't decide very well which is my top tube, but given the price difference, it's no contest.

I'm going to start my quest in the 12AU7 family and the 5814 that @Wes S recommended. By the way, it seems the notes @Wes S had on a bunch of tubes he sold me a year or so ago were spot on with my listening experience, so now I know I'm buying his tubes when he's done :)

The reason for my post is that I received this PM from someone here. I don't know enough about amp design to this level. Can someone more knowledgeable than me take a look and let me know their thoughts? FWIW I don't hear any distortion with the 7730. I had mentioned to this member that I am using adapters; perhaps he missed that?

I forget, does the LP have a 12V heater switch? I don't think it does which means any 12v tube will sound distorted as anything (as in several ‰ of 2nd and 3rd harmonic.

I would recommend sticking to the 6922 variations. The Russian 6H23-EV are my personal favorite.

I just pulled out my LP, you cannot change the heater voltage so none of the 12XX series tubes are compatible.

An auto analogy would be driving a regular car on diesel, they are both fuel sources but require different design specs to work.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #1,672 of 1,802
Hi all,

I just tried The 7730 I got from @Wes S and to my ears it is as good as the Telefunken E188CC, which is my favorite tube (but can't get it anymore at anything that costs less than the amp itself). In some respects such as fuller instruments and nicer mids for example, the 7730 may actually be a bit ahead. I still like the clarity of the E188CC, so I can't decide very well which is my top tube, but given the price difference, it's no contest.

I'm going to start my quest in the 12AU7 family and the 5814 that @Wes S recommended. By the way, it seems the notes @Wes S had on a bunch of tubes he sold me a year or so ago were spot on with my listening experience, so now I know I'm buying his tubes when he's done :)

The reason for my post is that I received this PM from someone here. I don't know enough about amp design to this level. Can someone more knowledgeable than me take a look and let me know their thoughts? FWIW I don't hear any distortion with the 7730. I had mentioned to this member that I am using adapters; perhaps he missed that?
Glad those 7730's are working out for you!

As for that person's question, the adapter converters the 12 Volt to 6 volt, and makes 12AU7 perfectly fine to run in the amp. I think they were assuming that the 12AU7 was being plugged straight into the amp? As for distortion being added. . .if there is it sure sounds killer to me, but I don't think that's the case.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:46 PM Post #1,673 of 1,802
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #1,674 of 1,802
Mar 30, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #1,675 of 1,802
I have: but in a Schiit Valhalla II. I think that they are excellent. Clear extended treble, nicely detailed midrange, fulsome bass. For the price, 👍.
Thank you, I'll give them a shot.

Mar 30, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #1,676 of 1,802
To George Chronis: I forgot to mention that I have alternated between the Reflektor 6N23Ps and Tungsram E88CCs in the Woo Audio WA2 (when using 6922 tube types). Rather nice there, too!

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #1,677 of 1,802
Ok, I’m going to switch out some tubes from my arsenal here. I bought some new gear and want to try a few different things. I’ll put up for sale a pair of Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters I had bought from Wes. I only used them for a few hours and although I love them, I have limited funds to try a few other things. Wes has first dibs. Anyone else, PM me. I’ll take some pictures and list them for $200 tomorrow. Shipping/PayPal included.

Mar 31, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #1,678 of 1,802
Ok, I’m going to switch out some tubes from my arsenal here. I bought some new gear and want to try a few different things. I’ll put up for sale a pair of Raytheon 7730 Long Plate D Getters I had bought from Wes. I only used them for a few hours and although I love them, I have limited funds to try a few other things. Wes has first dibs. Anyone else, PM me. I’ll take some pictures and list them for $200 tomorrow. Shipping/PayPal included.
I appreciate it man, but I am gonna pass as I have moved on to different tube types lately. GLWS though and I know those 7730 D Getters won't last long.

Mar 31, 2022 at 9:07 PM Post #1,679 of 1,802
Hi all,

The 7730 (and the 12AU/T/X7) are all designed to operate at either 6.3v or 12.6v. As Wes mentioned the (proper) adapter wires the heaters to run at 6.3v. So yes the adapter is needed, but to say the 7730 or 12A*7 family are not compatible is misleading and not correct. Not very many tubes were designed to run at two different heater voltages (depending on how they're wired), but these particular tubes were.

Apr 11, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #1,680 of 1,802
Well, I got some Bugel Boys coming in the mail for this amp. I liked how they sound in my X-CAN V8, so they should be really good in this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back