Linux users unite!
Jan 5, 2012 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 481

Nightowl217

100+ Head-Fier
Ohai guys, Hows it going?
Well i guess i should tell my story... Back in 2007, I had an old pentium 3 that i figured i could get some more use out of. So i did some research, and heard some good things about Ubuntu 6 (or 7 i forget) Well that computer only lasted a bit longer, (like 2 moths :p) but, even after i got rid of the computer, i found myself craving the Ubuntu... feel. Well, long story short, i am now a Debian user, and i love love LOVE linux! ^^ Being 'Free' (as in freedom!) is part of why i love FLAC sooooooo much, well that and the sound quality. XD 

Jan 16, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 481
I use a fair bit of Linux/Unix. It's nice, clean and fast. Lots of great open source software out there. I use Ubuntu.
For doing coding stuffs, it is pretty much the best. It also costs approximately nothing.

I am really sweet at breaking it too.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #3 of 481
I poke around /g/ quite a bit and dicovered Linux that way, so I decided to install Ubuntu on a tiny 2gb mini HDD and plug it into one of my harddriveless Toshiba lappys lying around. It worked for like 20 minutes, then went kapoot and I couldn't open any programs, and then wouldn't boot up, but from my meager (is that the right word?) experience, I was very impressed. It even had the snap to side screen window thingy that 7 has! 

Feb 1, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #4 of 481
Run windows 7 on my main laptop  but back home its all linux all the time.

Main media server - Slackware
Main desktop - Ubuntu + scientific linux
Untra portable laptop - Backtrack 4 + scientific linux

Feb 2, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 481
Xubuntu is the best.  Not too much eye-candy, but fully functional and easy to use.

Feb 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 481
I use W7 at work (unfortunately), but at home I have used Sabayon (derivative of Gentoo) since 2007.  God I love everything that is about linux and open source software.  It has really changed my life in terms of how I interact with computers.  There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING I can't fix on my computer.  I have done everything possible to break my linux installs over the years.  Needless to say, like most linux power users, the only application that is ALWAYS open is a terminal emulator.  Who knew how awesomely powerful they are?  *nix users that's who.  In fact, I am usually really pissed off if I need to do something in a GUI nowadays.  Scripting in the shell is just some much easier and faster.  

Transcode to flac?  just use flac on the command line.  flac [filename] boom, done.  flac /dir/* boom, batch processing done.

It just really doesn't get any better than linux.  Windows has gotten better, but man it still isn't even in the same league as linux for functionality.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 481

Quote:
I use W7 at work (unfortunately), but at home I have used Sabayon (derivative of Gentoo) since 2007.  God I love everything that is about linux and open source software.  It has really changed my life in terms of how I interact with computers.  There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING I can't fix on my computer.  I have done everything possible to break my linux installs over the years.  Needless to say, like most linux power users, the only application that is ALWAYS open is a terminal emulator.  Who knew how awesomely powerful they are?  *nix users that's who.  In fact, I am usually really pissed off if I need to do something in a GUI nowadays.  Scripting in the shell is just some much easier and faster.  

Transcode to flac?  just use flac on the command line.  flac [filename] boom, done.  flac /dir/* boom, batch processing done.

It just really doesn't get any better than linux.  Windows has gotten better, but man it still isn't even in the same league as linux for functionality.

True that man. Linux has changed my life too. I just love the efficiency of everything about it. I remember trying to use some of the other distros out there, but have always ended up coming back to Debian. Its nice and simple, and most importantly, it works for me. The GNU operating system and linux are truly a beautiful thing.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #11 of 481
I've been using Linux almost exclusively for the past 2 years. I do all of my development in Linux, except for my work. I still have to use W7 for work, and I have been spending a lot of time with W8 on my laptop, but I really do love everything about Linux.

Crunchbang is my favorite minimalist distro, but Ubuntu is my top for being beautiful and stable. I spent about 2 months with Arch, which was such a good learning explerience for linux.

What do you guys think about Canonical's plans for taking Ubuntu mobile?

Oct 22, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 481
I am a big fan of Ubuntu and using it right now to type this post, I run it on all of my computers and on my dell poweredge server to teach myself new things like setting up apache and configuring it as a mail server.  I love the idea of Canonical's plans for Ubuntu on mobile devices and can assure you I will be first in line to buy the first device it launches on as the idea of having one unified system is an awesome idea.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #13 of 481
My personal laptop currently runs W7, but only because the 128GB SSD is a bit too small to run dual OS (and unfortunately, I still need Windows for some applications). But my desktop runs Ubuntu.
My work laptop is W7/Ubuntu dualboot, I prefer the Ubuntu, but unfortunately some company policies are in the way of using it full-time. I hope my request for a memory expansion will be approved, then I can run W7 in a virtual machine (at a usable speed).

The systems I work on mostly run CentOS...

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #14 of 481
Can't quite remember how it started, but it had to do something with wanting to host (and fool around with) websites for myself, and Windows just couldn't properly do it. I do remember the horror at the start, Debian. No idea what version it was, but I was having major library problems, and once it was finally running somewhat, i decided to just.. let it run, for a while. Sick of all those dependency and library problems, I wanted to understand what I was doing (wrong), and how it all worked. I wanted to know what it was I had installed, why I needed it, how everything depended on everything else, and that's how I landed on the Gentoo website.

Strange as it might sound, no more What's, and actually managed to get a Gentoo server up and running properly. Not long after, friends got ear of this server, and started to request accounts on it, and I turned it into a free hosting service

In the meantime, or somewhere in between Debian or Gentoo, desktop-wise tried one of the first unstable releases of Fedora. Probably because all the configuration with USE flags and what not on Gentoo was just a bit too much at that time for a desktop. It was terrible. Next summer holiday, i was installing my Gentoo desktop and that's when my knowledge really started to grow.

I'm now a Unix Engineer thanks to all the above, still running Gentoo Linux x86_64 Hardened No-Multilib on my servers and Lenovo Thinkpad x201 (should've damn waited for the x220, as it was released close after I got this one, and is the last one with the proper normal keyboard).

The minimalist that I am, I don't run an actual DE (Desktop Environment) or DM (Desktop Management) software anymore, and am quite fine with suckless.org's dwm (Dynamic Window Manager), which is a tiling window manager not based on screens like the usual tiling WM, but on tags. I've given up on Webkit-GTK after handing in some patches to make stuff work and seeing the direction it was going to, switched to Opera, and with that started to live without GTK+ or QT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back