Linux-fi
Oct 7, 2008 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

ZepFloyd

500+ Head-Fier
so i recently decided to check out ubuntu...first time linux user. i realized there are a lot of different linux systems out there. a lot with live cds where you can just test the systems out. what are your guys favorites?...i'll look into them

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 88
My preference is Xubuntu -- lightweight and simple variant of Ubuntu (based on the Xfce WM).

Although, the Fedora Core installation process is smoother in Parallels on my Mac.

--Chris

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 88
I tried out an Ubuntu live cd when I was considering using it on my laptop (secondary/portable system). Having recently up(side)graded from XP to OSX, I was looking for something to play with for a while.
I liked it, but never managed to get my wireless card to work, so I gave up and went back to XP. When I upgrade my laptop, though, I am definitely thinking of trying again. The live cd process was really simple.

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 88
Ubuntu is quite nice, and certainly my favorite GNU/Linux distro...

Oct 7, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 88
I used Linux during a period when I wasn't working. And I really liked Kubuntu.

Now I have a job and can't afford the time to fiddle with things, and I want my stuff just works. I never figured out how to make my wireless network work, my new sound card didn't work properly either. To think of it if I were still using it my DAP wouldn't work, and I'd need to reboot to Windows for my photo editing softwares.

Now I'm with Vista, though not entirely bug free, but it work well enough.

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #8 of 88
I recently fixed my old PC and installed Ubuntu onto it. I chose Ubuntu because it is supposed to be easier (of course, I simply don't know which better distro to try) and I had an installation disc lying around (came with a magazine).

This was my first experience with Linux and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to install - actually found it simpler than Windows despite many more years of using Microsoft products. And it was working right after installation, even internet connection was OK - thus rather impressed.

I read about Xubuntu and enabled it within Ubuntu. At this point I prefer Ubuntu as it allows slightly more eye candy out of the box (I have installed Cairo Dock).

Oct 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #9 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Navyblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used Linux during a period when I wasn't working. And I really liked Kubuntu.

Now I have a job and can't afford the time to fiddle with things, and I want my stuff just works. I never figured out how to make my wireless network work, my new sound card didn't work properly either. To think of it if I were still using it my DAP wouldn't work, and I'd need to reboot to Windows for my photo editing softwares.

Now I'm with Vista, though not entirely bug free, but it work well enough.

Back when Vista was in beta I abandoned windows and made the jump to Ubuntu, then moved to Kubuntu when I got a chance to try it and liked it a lot more than Ubuntu. I think I used Kubuntu exclusively (no windows!) for 2 years or so.

Recently, however, I just picked up 2 gigs of ram for my system and switched to Vista for the reasons given above by Navyblue. I'd rather spend those hours I spent fiddling with Linux fiddling with my spouse.
tongue.gif

Oct 7, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 88
I run Ubuntu which I switched to from Gentoo. I really liked Gentoo but I got tired of waiting for compiling.

I run Ubuntu on my Dell Latitude D830 and all of the hardware was auto detected and worked and the Nvidia drivers were just a click to get running.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:08 PM Post #11 of 88
Ubuntu is now MORE likely to work out of the box on most - even new - machines!
Things change rapidly. Ubuntu 8 final brought a great improvement in compatibility.

For example, Vista had NO support for cheap on-board sound card chips (and many are more than useful for bit-perfect S/PDIF digital transports, unlike USB!).
No drivers to be found...
XP needed a manual install of those.
Ubuntu worked out of a box. Wifi, LCD display, USB keyboard, everything...

--
OpenSuSE, myself...

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Things change rapidly. Ubuntu 8 final brought a great improvement in compatibility.

For example, Vista had NO support for cheap on-board sound card chips (and many are more than useful for bit-perfect S/PDIF digital transports, unlike USB!).
No drivers to be found...
XP needed a manual install of those.
Ubuntu worked out of a box. Wifi, LCD display, USB keyboard, everything...

--
OpenSuSE, myself...

i made a live cd of opensuse was playing around with it last night...seemed neat. i tried burning knoppix cd...but my comp is to new to run it i think.

anyone try any others?

Oct 7, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #13 of 88
Sabayon Linux is interesting. I really only used it to try out the latest Compiz and what not. It was too bloated with applications for me to take it seriously as something I wanted on my own machine.

Oct 7, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #14 of 88
Lots of people talking about their Ubuntu experiences, not many recommendations for the OP.

I use Fedora. It is amongst the most cutting-edge distros, has a robust development base, and a nice feature set. Ubuntu is alright too, just not my personal preference. If you're really into checking out other distros for the sake of experience, you should try Debian too...or Slackware
evil_smiley.gif
Can't recommend Suse anymore.

Really, choice of a Linux desktop distro comes down to aesthetics, stability, package manager and hardware detection scripts, IMO.

Oct 7, 2008 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by d.phens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not for me, I've tried installing the last two official releases in both 32 and 64bit.. won't even boot the live cd on this Abit IP35Pro, lots of workarounds nothing works.. oh well.
triportsad.gif

I've never failed to install or boot any version of windows on any hardware combination I've used in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back