Linux EQ That works with Dragonfly Red USB?
Oct 5, 2021 at 4:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

tlite

Head-Fier
I may have missed this somewhere apologies if covered elsewhere!

I'm using a Dragonfly Red with a new install of Linux Mint. Music plays fine, but I can't EQ anything.

I have the PulseAudio Equalizer installed, but I believe it only effects the analogue outs and it isn't EQ'ing anything out of the DFR.

I'm trying to listen to Amazon Music HD, but if that is the limitation I'm open to other services.

I'm generally tech-savvy but new to Linux. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 6, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 13
There are two possible situations with EQ on Linux.
Either its part of DAC/driver or it's emulated in something like Pulseaudio or final app that uses output has built functionality.(mp3 player)
I dont use Pulse audio much but check if there some kind of Pulse Audio EQ.
But seriously check out app equalizers. Check out QMMP player.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 13
And just to clarify, ALSA = linux sound system, similar to directsound on windows.
It's main sound source on Linux from where Pulseaudio, Jack and other sound servers feed from. Bad ALSA = NO sound.

Oct 6, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Thanks, folks. Just checking back in. I was able to get the DFR working with PulseEffects. Works, but it's still pretty clunky. I'd like to be able to set numerical values on each slider as opposed to just clicking the mouse, but at least it's something. I'll try some of these other options including the terminal based ALSA and see how it goes.

Again, the whole thing is compounded a bit as I'm stumbling my way through Linux for the first time, but that's just how learning goes!

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks, folks. Just checking back in. I was able to get the DFR working with PulseEffects. Works, but it's still pretty clunky. I'd like to be able to set numerical values on each slider as opposed to just clicking the mouse, but at least it's something. I'll try some of these other options including the terminal based ALSA and see how it goes.

Again, the whole thing is compounded a bit as I'm stumbling my way through Linux for the first time, but that's just how learning goes!
There is Amixer app i think works from console, you could try that. Its basically console style mixer software. It allows to deal with mixer. If your plugin or whatever is working like standard volume adjuster - it should work.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 13
Side note- anyone had any luck getting Amazon Music HD to work on Linux? I tried it with PlayonLinux but no dice- throws an error. I've Googled and haven't found anything yet, figured I'd ask here. Thx.

Oct 28, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #9 of 13
Side note- anyone had any luck getting Amazon Music HD to work on Linux? I tried it with PlayonLinux but no dice- throws an error. I've Googled and haven't found anything yet, figured I'd ask here. Thx.
I am not familiar with it, but it looks like DRM is involved. So love story is unlikely.

Oct 28, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 13
what did error say anyway?
I don't remember exactly but I think it was something like this I found Googling it just now:

"Called tcl_close on channel with recount > 0"

Unfortunately, I've already set up that laptop with Windows again so can't easily bring up the error again. Maybe I'll set up a Linux Mint partition if I get a chance to geek around for a bit this weekend...

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #12 of 13
I don't remember exactly but I think it was something like this I found Googling it just now:

Unfortunately, I've already set up that laptop with Windows again so can't easily bring up the error again. Maybe I'll set up a Linux Mint partition if I get a chance to geek around for a bit this weekend...
Make it easier for yourself. get 20 gig USB flash drive, install OS on it

Oct 29, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #13 of 13

Better yet: https://www.pendrivelinux.com/
some thing like this.
I have USB card that is formated in specific way using some tool, cant remember name.
2 partitions.
1 is bootable, you dont **** with. 2 is having a few ISOs and you can dump your usual stuff there.
Any ISO is bootable, including windows ISO.(system acts as if you loaded from cdrom)
It does not need to change anything on your system. Just run from "live CD".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back