Linn Klimax Renew DS
Jul 14, 2011 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

chesebert

18 Years An Extra-Hardcore Head-Fi'er
What is Linn Klimax Renew DS?

Linn Klimax Renew DS is a first generation Linn Klimax DS with Dynamik power supply (upgrade from the original power supply), all fitted into a small black box by Linn with a 5 year warranty.

How to Get One?

This player is available only to existing Linn Klimax DS owners who are upgrading their original Linn Klimax DS to the Klimax DS MKII (2011). As part of the upgrading process, Linn replaces the electronics from the original Klimax DS with upgraded electronics. The original Klimax DS electronics is put into a new case along with the Dynamik power supply (an upgrade from the power supply in the orignal Klimax DS), again performed by Linn.

So, original Klimax DS electronics + upgrade power supply + new case = Klimax Renew DS.

To make this deal an evern better proposition for the existing Klimax DS owners, the Klimax Renew DS is given a fresh new 5 year transferable warranty (parts and labor, I believe).

How to Really Get One?

I was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone with a Klimax DS and who recently upgraded to the Klimax DS MKII. I picked up the Renew DS for a fraction of what the original Klimax DS would have costed - $20k (not including Dynamik power supply upgrade).

There is one on Audiogon right now, and I have seen Renew DS popping up on ebay UK. But, you can always find a new friend with an original Klimax DS :wink:

Additional Info

Here is a thread discussing the player at Linn's forum: http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=11026&page=1

Here is Renew DS on Linn's product page: http://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Renew_DS

I don't have the Renew DS set up yet (still trying to understand the DLNA stuff), but will have some impression coming hopefully over the weekend.

Jul 14, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 11
Ok, I can't believe the weekend is already up - we need 36hr days for the weekend. If you are lazy like me, the one word impression of Klimax DS on CD (16/44Khz) material is "Holly-Cow" and on high-res (24/96) is "WOW!!" For the more patient folks, below is a bit more detailed impression/observation:

Equipment Used (seems like everyone starts with one of these lists)
Speaker: Harbeth Monitor 30
Amp: Ayre AX-7e
Digital Source: Slimdevices Transporter + Electrocompanient ECD-1; Klimax Renew DS
Digital Cable: Van den Hul Optocoupler MK II
Speaker/XLR/RCA Cable: DNM all the way through
Power cords: bunch of VD Power 1 and David(s)
Power conditioner: PS Audio stuff, 3KW isolation transformer

Music Used:
Chesky Ultimate Demonstration Disk
Various Linn studio master downloads (Barb Jungr, sampler disk, Clare Martin, Mozart pieces and many others)

Preliminary Notes on the Transporter

The Transporter has a custom minimum phase filter implemented through the custom filter function in the squeezebox server software. Compared to the standard filter, a minimum phase filter makes the sound more analog, more 3D, has less electronic glare and overall more pleasing sounding. The Transporter is connected via the toslink cable to ECD-1. The ECD-1 is connected to the amplifier via XLR.

Preliminary Notes on the Klimax DS

Unlike other hi-fi electronics on the market, Klimax DS almost does not respond to power cord changes. I switched through various audiophile power cods, but the sound hardly changed. I decided to stick with just a regular computer power cord to make the comparison "more fair".  In addition, I did not use the XLR output from the KDS, rather used RCA instead, again to make the comparison "more fair". The difference between XLR and RCA is about 15% for the Ayre amp. (This is me putting handicap on the KDS)

How Does KDS Sound?

Resolution: KDS wins by a large margin (I hope no one is suprised). The noise floor on KDS is so low that all the detail are just there for the picking. Instruments sound real and palable, no matter how far back they are in the sound stage. All the details afforded by KDS really allow each instrument, including human voice, to shine within its own acoustic space. There are some DACs I have heard in the past where higher resolution means detail is more hightended and the sound takes on a more clinical nature. Not so with KDS.  The increased resolution allows music/voices to sound more real and more life-like. I know sometimes people say they have heard things they have never heard before due to a player's higher resolution. This was not the case with my system. Transporter + ECD-1 has the resolving power to pull all the sounds out, so there wasn't anything in the record that I have never heard before. Unlike the TP/ECD-1, KDS resolve the finest detail of the sound of each instrument. You can hear layers of sounds within each instrument. It's not just the primary and harmonics, its the little deviations, the fine details that makes the instrument sound real. To put simply, it's like comparing CD, in the case of ECD-1, with SACD, in the case of KDS.

Transparency: It's hard to believe, but it's true. Until you hear better system, you have no clue what "peeling away layers of veil" sound sound like. In that regard, KDS pulled a thick layer of veil. It's like the some one whipped clean my window to the recorded performance. Some times transparency could be confused with clinical sounding, especially if one is talking about treble transparency. This is not KDS. The sound from KDS is so natrual, so analog, yet so transparent, as if there is nothing between you and the music. I do note, however, even with KDS, the sound is still not quite as transparent as listening to live performance of non-amplified music (isn't this the holy grail?)

Depth: I primarily used Sara K's track in the Chesky demonstration CD for this test. KDS correctly placed all the instruments in the acountic space according to how far they are from the microphone (the announcer actually tells you how far the trumpet was to the microphone so you can test yourself). In comparison, ECD-1's trumpet took a few step closer to the microphone (oh did I mention how real KDS's trumpet sounded).

Holographic Imaging: KDS really excels in this area with its ultra-high resoluiton and analog sound. Like I mentioned before, almost nothing between you and music. KDS renders fairly convincing acoustic space, such as jazz club, pawn shop (from Jazz in Pawn Shop), live concert (Diana Krell Paris concert), Church (Chesky CD). Due to my living situation, my speakers placement is not optimal, nor is my room. I do see huge potential with a bigger room and some acoustic treatments.

Focus: Each instrumentp played  through KDS accoupies a distinict acoustic space with "air" around it. Noting is mushed togeter, no sound is scattered. The edge of the instrument/voice/sound is exquisitely defined and sharp. In comparison, ECD-1 seems to defuse the sound, instruments are mushed together and the edge of the sound is not as well defined nor as sharp. I note, the fault of the ECD-1 was "discovered" only in comparison with the KDS. ECD-1 sounded great, fantanstic before I had KDS in my system.

PRaT: This is one is more even. Both are excellent. Both go my foot tapping. KDS in comparsion has even better PRaT.

Bass: And you thought ECD-1 has great bass. Nope. KDS easily beats ECD-1 in bass reproduction. It's not the quantity, it's the quality. Don't get me wrong, KDS has just as much bass as ECD-1, but it's tighter, more tuneful, the bass has sharper focus (see Focus above), more definition, more quality.

High-Res Material: To be honest, I have never heard any system that sounds as good as what I have now (yup, I am so full of it - I am sure dCS big stack can whipe the floor with KDS). 24/96 sounds so real out of KDS, I literally can't believe this kind of sound is possible. I don't even know how to describe it any more. It's like sitting in the middle of a performance, only to be waken up from this dream state when the sound is over. I don't know how Linn can possibiliy improve this aspect (Well, they just did with KDS MK II. I can't really imaging what that might sound like - dream within a dream?)

Klimax Renew DS is truly an awesome piece of gear. If you get a chance to own one, do not hesitate. Run and don't walk, because once the chance is gone, the very best Klimax DS will set you back over $20k.

Questions away.

Jul 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 11
Updated.

Jul 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 11
No one cares for Linn?

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 11
Too rich for my blood!  No amount of incremental sonic improvement will warrant me spending $20k for a streaming Dac over my $2500 PWD+Bridge combo.  Thats a little absurd to me.  Plus Linn has a pretty terrible dealer network in the US and not easy to find...

Jul 21, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #6 of 11

I think you missed the point. Klimax renew DS costs a fraction of an old Klimas DS and is equivalent to or even slightly better than (if the old Klimax DS has not had the power supply upgrade) the old Klimax DS. So I don't disagree with that $20k is a little absurd for a streaming DAC (I am pretty sure I am shooting myself in the foot by saying that, given how much improvement the 2011 Klimax DS has over the 2007 Klimax DS).

Quote:
Too rich for my blood!  No amount of incremental sonic improvement will warrant me spending $20k for a streaming Dac over my $2500 PWD+Bridge combo.  Thats a little absurd to me.  Plus Linn has a pretty terrible dealer network in the US and not easy to find...

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 11

Seen these units go on average between GBP3,300 - GBP3,700, depending on the age of the Klimax board (presumaly a 2010 Klimax board will set you back close to GBP3,700). I believe an used original Klimax DS will likley cost around GBP7-8000. So yes, fraction of an used Klimax DS.

Quote:
What is your definition of 'a fraction of the cost'?  You never actually mention the price of this particular unit, so I have no idea

May 26, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Does the mk II version mean Linn Klimax DS2 then what's DS1 version?

The first Linn Klimax DS is marked DS/0 and the upgraded is DS/1.
The DS/1 is assumed to be much better: fuller, more reviling and faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back