Line Out on Zen Vision:M
Nov 21, 2008 at 3:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PaulF

New Head-Fier
Hello.

I'm really just a lurker, and dream about one day being able to buy some real headphones, and currently have some Sony NX3s (I think they are EX81, or 90s, or similar atleast, bought them in Japan) and a Creative Zen Vision:M I've had for a few years.

So after reading these forums past few months, I always see this about Line Out Docks on iPods, and I was wondering if there was such a thing for the Zen. Little did I know, the charger dock for my Zen has an A/V out...which is exactly what I was looking for. I don't have an amp (although I am patiently waiting for the Fiio E5, something I can afford), but I plugged my FM transmitter to my line out dock, to listen to in my truck, and at first, i though " Wow, the piano sounds super clean", and was amazed at the quality, until I realized, that I had no bass, and it was giving a false image of "clean". I know my trucks speakers aren't good (stock), and FM transmitters are no audiophile way of passing sound (it actually hisses quite terribly at higher volumes), but is it supposed to completely bassless?
The bassdrum on drums, was thin, and empty, so its not 100% without bass, but bass guitars were hard to hear.

I'll be plugging my zen into my home theater system later tonight to see if it was my truck or something.
But for now, I guess I'll stick to using headphone out for that.

Will adding a Fiio E5 help the bass?

Nov 21, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 6
I had a ZVM and in the car, with one of those cassette adapters, the sound was better using HP out, not line out dock. So you are not crazy. However, in the house, the Zune dock out to my receiver sounded fine, with a mini to RCA cable. Go figure. The FiiO E5 will help your ZVM sound better, based on my using an amp (E3 and MiniboxE+).

Nov 21, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a ZVM and in the car, with one of those cassette adapters, the sound was better using HP out, not line out dock. So you are not crazy. However, in the house, the Zune dock out to my receiver sounded fine, with a mini to RCA cable. Go figure. The FiiO E5 will help your ZVM sound better, based on my using an amp (E3 and MiniboxE+).

So then would the Line Out sound decent with the E5, or would I stick to the headphone jack?

Nov 21, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So then would the Line Out sound decent with the E5, or would I stick to the headphone jack?

Yes, the line out (via the LO dongle and a mini to mini) will sound fine wuith E5. xrfxlove is talking about a separate LOD cable, which means you don't need the dock (connects directly to line out). I have one for my iPods and they are great, but cost a lot, even via DIY. The ZVM dock should suffice for using an amp.

Nov 25, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 6
I use a 60 GB ZVM with a Qables LOD cable and a PA2V2/BSG cMoy. Sounds good to me.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Alessandro MS1s sound great with them. I tend to like the PA2V2 a little more than the cMoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back