Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Oct 11, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #1,666 of 1,717
Yes just thought that my esw11 are unbeatable then I here this and struck by its sound.
Placement, timbre and realism are high on these.
Having portable fun away from my esw11 was an impossibility before these.
Too bad I am afraid of the wonderful finish to be taking these outside much.
I do have them glued on me now at work though lol.
Fun tines :)

Oct 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #1,667 of 1,717
Glad you are enjoying your new ESW10JPN.

As was said before. These to me are portable Ed9's. I, like many, fear for their ability to sustain rough treatment. I often look for lower priced and tougher on ear headphones to take their place. The HD25 II moved over to Amperiors and P5's but they are both inferior in every way except durability.

I should stop searching for the Ed9 /ESW10JPN sound with durability and just enjoy them traveling more.

I should spend more time listening to great music than seeing if either the Ps or new DT1350 might topple the ATH's.

See you on the tube with my shiny wooden cups soon!

Sceptre

Oct 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,668 of 1,717
Yes I am noticing that my best portables in music are both these esw10 and the esw11.
This choice of mine has nothing to do with the fact that they are limited or wooden (pic suggests different lol)
Both these cans exhibit a realism and clarity of nuances where I can easily distinguish every syllable in every song.
They also do not "cheat" like many other cans by boosting trebles.
In fact that is what is amazing about them. Excellent mids on both!
Yet both choose different avenues to show that realism and clarity.
The esw11 simply has great sublte detail ability in mids while these esw10 simply have that dynamic and tonal clarity..

The esw10 surprisingly also sounds larger and very much better than the esw9.
I also noticed differences in materials on the esw10 to the esw9:
When handling the esw10 & esw9 side by side:
The "sound" of touching the plastic is different.
While they both have the audio technica sparkle plastic, but it is definitely not the same composition.
Touching the esw10 feels less like plastic and more like a dry composite type materal.
Also the esw10 wood being not only different but very heavily coated is definitely a more solid enclosure.
Nocking (gently! Lol) on the wood sounds less hollow.
Also the esw10 coils do not have traditional blue tint.
I can see the copper voice coils shine thru the felt.
The headband clicks with a quality & sound of the esw11 and not like the ew9.

So I am now in your dilema of loving a can I am afraid of taking outside.
I have taken my esw11 out with no hesitation now with my plastic protectors, but I would never put anything on this incredible wood(!).

So far I havent herd a portable that has this punchy clear tonally realistic in mids and such clarity.
They must have eliminated all resonances in the housing to give such clarity.
Can't decide yet on why they are triggering memory of my w3000anv.
So far I believe it is because of the mids tonality very similar.

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #1,669 of 1,717
So I finnaly took my esw10 outside the other day...

Am I worrying too much about scratching the lacquer?

Nov 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,670 of 1,717
So I finnaly took my esw10 outside the other day...

Am I worrying too much about scratching the lacquer?

From my experience, as long as it's not raining and is not a windy day, you'll be fine.  I'd be extra careful with the cables, they're not the most durable in the world and you wouldn't want it snagging on something. 

But I no longer take it out though.  In the end I find that you just end up worrying about it too much and that really takes away from the purpose of using it as an outdoor portable headphone.  A headphone such as HD25 which you can take around without any worries at all is really much more practical in the end.  I now use ESW10JPN exclusively as my at home closed back headphone, or transportably when I go on a trip or to a library or something and can use it indoors.

Nov 18, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #1,671 of 1,717
I also choose other headphones over the ESW10JPN for portable use. For me, they fairly exclusively stay at work where I use them from RSA amps. Love these Audio-Technicas. I'm interested in parting with my ATH-W3000ANV, but not the ESW10.

Nov 18, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #1,672 of 1,717

Out of all my cans, to me the esw10 is my choice for a perfect mids tone with woody-ness.
The w3000anv convey a more addictive tone and also larger stage, which is a different topic and yes for me a portable guy I would also choose my es10 only because of the amazing form factor and sound combo.
Trying to find a perfect outdoor substitute is not easy..

Jun 5, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,677 of 1,717
It takes a very special headphone for me to even have a supra-aural in my stable. I have thought about selling these mainly because I really don't like this form factor (I prefer full-size headphones, and universal IEMs). But these are beautiful to look at, and their sound is... wait for it... very special
biggrin.gif
; I doubt I will ever sell these.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #1,680 of 1,717
Eget quam nam lorem consectetur ut congue lorem hendrerit ligula mattis mollis nec ipsum dolor lectus enim ultricies quam a mauris consectetur congue libero. Ac ante ipsum sit mollis consectetur hendrerit sit arcu ipsum praesent consectetur vitae mattis. Arcu donec nec nam viverra ipsum libero egestas ut augue tincidunt amet maecenas mattis ipsum. Vehicula viverra sit viverra vitae ac lectus ligula hendrerit consectetur viverra a nam mattis. Elit lacinia sit tincidunt elit ultricies ante viverra libero. Hendrerit lorem nec viverra lectus et adipiscing diam lorem sed adipiscing vehicula tincidunt ultricies. Maecenas augue ipsum lectus vitae consectetur et diam tortor arcu ipsum mattis congue. Lectus consectetur viverra sed amet donec arcu quam sed maecenas adipiscing nec amet libero sed ultricies sit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back