Limited, wooden portable ATH-ESW10JPN arrives! (with pics)
Nov 3, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #316 of 1,717
I haven't received mine yet(should've last Friday, but no, instead they're sitting at a postal depot 30km away from here while i'm awaiting a response to my inquiry on what i should do.), but from what i've heard they have a fairly strong clamping force; combine that with wooden housing and i'd seriously doubt much noise would leak out.
Heck even the AD2Ks are somewhat fine at moderate volumes.

I could say with utmost certainty that you could get these to run at eardrum damaging volumes without anyone realizing. Ok, that probably is a bit of an overstatement
icon10.gif
Though, you might want to wait for someone who actually owns a pair if you're intending to use these in a place where you can hear the clock tick
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #317 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they scale pretty well, sound fine out of an iPod, the Hornet brings just that extra bit of life into them, and my Solo just improves it even further. makes them more clean, better bass. maybe not right up to the level of HD650/SR325i but that's mainly because I'm more used to these and you still notice the esw10 sitting on your head, they don't fall away as the others do for me.
I did however hear some details that I never noticed before.
lets say that for the moment I've stopped thinking about getting closed cans for home use, they do very well.

[size=xx-small]ah well... maybe I should have just sent a PM about that case, it is off-topic.[/size]

I had a listen to a set today. While they do a hell of a lot better than any other can that size in the AT line, they are not anywhere near full-sized cans at that price, even plugged into a good desktop amp.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:52 PM Post #318 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they scale pretty well, sound fine out of an iPod, the Hornet brings just that extra bit of life into them, and my Solo just improves it even further. makes them more clean, better bass. maybe not right up to the level of HD650/SR325i but that's mainly because I'm more used to these and you still notice the esw10 sitting on your head, they don't fall away as the others do for me.
I did however hear some details that I never noticed before.
lets say that for the moment I've stopped thinking about getting closed cans for home use, they do very well...

good to know.
thanks for that.

Nov 3, 2008 at 1:57 PM Post #319 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a listen to a set today. While they do a hell of a lot better than any other can that size in the AT line, they are not anywhere near full-sized cans at that price, even plugged into a good desktop amp.

Thanks, as I don't need a new portable headphone atm, I can now stop drooling after the esw10.

Nov 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #321 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by neezee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't AT release a consumer level one soon (relative) ie ESW-11? based on the ESW10JPN?

If you mean with "consumer level" just a regular better headphone then no. That is very very unlikely.
Looking at ATs product history it's alot more likely that there will be another limited and more expensive portable headphone after the ESW10.

It happened the same way with the w1000 (-> w2002 -> l3000).
And today the W1000 is still on the market with no real replacement such as the w2002 or the l3000 were.

The W5000 is build from ground up and a whole different animal than these 3.

Nov 3, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #322 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean with "consumer level" just a regular better headphone then no. That is very very unlikely.
Looking at ATs product history it's alot more likely that there will be another limited and more expensive portable headphone after the ESW10.

It happened the same way with the w1000 (-> w2002 -> l3000).
And today the W1000 is still on the market with no real replacement such as the w2002 or the l3000 were.

The W5000 is build from ground up and a whole different animal than these 3.

The W2002 came out quite a bit before the W1000 and L3000, in fact I think they might have even been out before the W100's.

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #323 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by neezee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wouldn't AT release a consumer level one soon (relative) ie ESW-11? based on the ESW10JPN?

Yes,
...it will be called the ATH-ESW9 and will cost 1/3 of what most of us originally paid for it.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #324 of 1,717
considering we're starting to see mint pair of ESW9s at lower price on FS forum (probably because many people who got ESW10s got rid of ESW9s) It should be a good buy for people who's looking for a deal. 220 used seems like a fair deal for those wonderful (while ESW10 should be wonderfulER) pair of cans.

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #325 of 1,717
oh **********************!!
ESW10JPN was attempted to be delivered today morning - apparently 2 minutes after I left the house. I'll go pick it up at my post office.....

thank you, AnGeLiCbOrIs, for relaying these cans to me!

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #326 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh **********************!!
ESW10JPN was attempted to be delivered today morning - apparently 2 minutes after I left the house. I'll go pick it up at my post office.....

thank you, AnGeLiCbOrIs, for relaying these cans to me!

Great red, good to hear you're finally getting you're pair
smily_headphones1.gif

Get ready to get hit by a 5 hour boner, these are that sexy

Nov 4, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #327 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaluen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great red, good to hear you're finally getting you're pair
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks! I've been pretty emo about it too
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by yaluen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get ready to get hit by a 5 hour boner, these are that sexy

14 days and counting.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #328 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
14 days and counting.

Ouch, isn't it considered a medical condition if it lasts for more than four hours? Maybe you should see a doctor, or hit up a street corner?

Anyways, back on topic....I'm finding these are great for electronica/chill/downtempo. The bass extension + intimacy of the soundstage is a treat.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #329 of 1,717
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W2002 came out quite a bit before the W1000 and L3000, in fact I think they might have even been out before the W100's.

Thanks for the correction. Just double checked and the W2002 came out Nov 2001, W1000 Nov. 2002, L3000 Nov. 2003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back