Lilith Audio Player
Oct 2, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #61 of 505
DON'T USE THE UPDATE FEATURE! It already updated, by trying to update it finds some difference in some files (the translations) and updated those files, turning back to japanese language. By default (my last settings) de Equalizer is OFF and can't use the Jazz preset unless it's on.

If you want to feel a huge difference, you have to get better hardware, since Foobar2000 is a Top 3 audio player (from his category) and Lilith is slightly better. Don't get me wrong, Lilith is good but not magic, it can't make you 200$ hardware, sound like one that cost 2000$.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #62 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by XSAlliN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DON'T USE THE UPDATE FEATURE! It already updated, by trying to update it finds some difference in some files (the translations) and updated those files, turning back to japanese language. By default (my last settings) de Equalizer is OFF and can't use the Jazz preset unless it's on.

Missed that.
I deleted the Lilith directory and unpacked it again. Tried the listeing test again. Still can't hear any difference.

Quote:

If you want to feel a huge difference, you have to get better hardware, since Foobar2000 is a Top 3 audio player (from his category) and Lilith is slightly better. Don't get me wrong, Lilith is good but not magic, it can't make you 200$ hardware, sound like one that cost 2000$.
smily_headphones1.gif

k. So if I don't buy better hardware, my comparisons fail.

I think it should be stated in the first post that: IF YOU DO NOT HAVE $2000 WORTH OF HARDWARE, DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS PLAYER. That way I would have known that it's a waste of my time trying this player.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
So, in what way is the sound better when using Lilith? Better bass? More detail?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all open to sound differences in different players IF it can be explained. What does Lilith do that Foobar2000 doesn't?

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #63 of 505
No, you missed something again.
biggrin.gif

I was saying that the difference between two good software players (like Foobar2000 and Lilith) can't be huge, only slightly better. If you want a huge difference you'd have to change the hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I'm all open to sound differences in different players IF it can be explained. What does Lilith do that Foobar2000 doesn't?

At first sight, they don't use identical filters and also has some extra features.
smily_headphones1.gif
With my configurations, I can't hear the difference. Unfortunately, I'm not hardcore Audiophile therefore, I can't explain all differences. Besides a small increase in clarity, some sounds (pipes, electric) sound more intense, they have more effect.

One more thing, since I've converted to audiophile side I only listen to .wav, .flac files. You might say I've learned to hear the difference and if you can't hear the difference between an .Mp3 with a Bitrate of 128 kbps and a .wav with a Bitrate of 1411 Kbps, don't bother cause would be pretty hard to feel/hear a difference between this players (even WinAmp with default settings might sound the same).

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #64 of 505
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I was saying that the difference between two good software players (like Foobar2000 and Lilith) can't be huge, only slightly better. If you want a huge difference you'd have to change the hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I really did miss what you said
biggrin.gif

After listening further, I THINK that I'm starting to hear slight differences (eq off). I will not tell yet what differences I think I hear so that my placebo won't affect others.

The settings in Lilith seem to be 96/88.2 kHz and 24bit. Would this change the sound?

EDIT: I'm not certain at all that I really do hear differences. Might be all in my head.

Oct 2, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #65 of 505
Quote:

All I can say is, just download and try it, takes like 2 seconds.

By trying some people understand: Install -> Play 2 minutes, hmm -> can't hear the difference -> Uninstall -> Delete...

------------

Just use it for two days and switch back to foobar2000 at the end of the second day, by then you should have some valid opinions based on experience.
wink.gif
When I tried it I heard the difference in a short time. After using Foobar2000 for years, I got used to those sounds and knew how they were suppose to play, but in the first 30 minutes of Liliths some of them felt different, some voices were slightly clearer, the instruments were more intense.

What can I say, if it was worst then foobar or even the same, I wouldn't bother with a player in a foreign language which I don't understand. But since I fought is was worth it, I even spent 15 hours translating it in English (yet I'm from Romania - but don't like my software in Romanian Language).
smily_headphones1.gif
If you missed my first post, I've also talked with the creator of Lilith and he said that there will be a Unicode release (multilanguage) in the near future future (until then you have the translated alternative, just don't use the Online Update tool, or used it but don't update the Lilith.exe).
wink.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #67 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by uhcmos1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use foobar V0.9.2.

Nobody gives a dam about what you use
biggrin.gif
, comment on Lilith or don't comment at all. I will try this when I get home, I am no audiophile (at least not yet) chances are I probably won't hear any difference.

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #68 of 505
People still seem to think they can hear a difference between players
rolleyes.gif

Newcomers, if you like Lilith, then by all means use it. But don't believe these weird ideas that it will magically make your music sound better when you can already play lossless files bit-perfect in another player (is it supplying better bit-perfect data or something?
rolleyes.gif
).

Oct 3, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #69 of 505
I'm plenty happy with my cPlay, but it was a step up from foobar2000, all on stock, not filters, eq, ect.

Now, what I'm not saying is that it will make a huge difference, but I must say it was a free upgrade that had better dynamics and more tight and controlled bass from a dirt cheap sub. My cheap sub that came with my Monsoons isn't even worth considering next to my Grados, or even cheap bookshelfs, but I noted a much less flubbier and controlled bass, and to me, that was good enough to keep.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #70 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by exe163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody gives a dam about what you use
biggrin.gif
, comment on Lilith or don't comment at all. I will try this when I get home, I am no audiophile (at least not yet) chances are I probably won't hear any difference.

i use foobar, and if you hear differences look for the EQ part.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #71 of 505
Quote:

biggrin.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

At first sight, they don't use identical filters and also has some extra features.
smily_headphones1.gif
With my configurations, I can't hear the difference. Unfortunately, I'm not hardcore Audiophile therefore, I can't explain all differences. Besides a small increase in clarity, some sounds (pipes, electric) sound more intense, they have more effect.

One more thing, since I've converted to audiophile side I only listen to .wav, .flac files. You might say I've learned to hear the difference and if you can't hear the difference between an .Mp3 with a Bitrate of 128 kbps and a .wav with a Bitrate of 1411 Kbps, don't bother cause would be pretty hard to feel/hear a difference between this players (even WinAmp with default settings might sound the same).

You made me laugh, this post was even better than the one where you need 20000000 dollars in the bank to hear the differences.
You need to have super powers, and if you don't get it you are so dumb you can distinguish a 128kbps from a wav.

You are funny sir.

From the foobar2000 site but you will see lots of posts like this on http://www.hydrogenaudio.org

Does foobar2000 sound better than other players?

No. Most of “sound quality differences” people “hear” are placebo effect (at least with real music), as actual differences in produced sound data are below their noise floor (1 or 2 last bits in 16bit samples). foobar2000 has sound processing features such as software resampling or 24bit output on new high-end soundcards, but most of other mainstream players are capable of doing the same by now.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:19 AM Post #72 of 505
To bad some people spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment, using DAC, SPDIF or other options that in their opinion improves the sound quality - when all that in your opinion is just Placebo effect.

I don't even now, what you're doing on this forum since for you better sound quality is just a Myth. I didn't knew you have to have super powers to distinguish a 128 kbps from a WAV, so guess your are one of those people.

In your case, x-fi extreme music/ sennheiser 555 or wasted money since on board sound would do just the same.

PS.Learn the meaning of some phrases in English, cause you obviously don't understand them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM Post #73 of 505
you don't get irony....

I will explain it simple to you.

1- You where cocky telling ppl don't notice difference because they can't tell difference from a bad mp3 from a wav.

2 - You where even sillier telling that you can only notice difference in the players if you have real great stuff.

3 - Yes, you suffer from placebo effect if you have EQ's off.

4 - Don't try to rebate the other ppl arguments making up stuff like you did with me. Read my post first and think about what you are saying.
Like when you say

" To bad some people spend thousands of dollars on audio equipment, using DAC, SPDIF or other options that in their opinion improves the sound quality - when all that in your opinion is just Placebo effect. "

Of course good equipment makes a difference, the placebo is just your better player .......

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #74 of 505
Quote:

1- You where cocky telling ppl don't notice difference because they can't tell difference from a bad mp3 from a wav.

My quote:

You might say I've learned to hear the difference and if you can't hear the difference between an .Mp3 with a Bitrate of 128 kbps and a .wav with a Bitrate of 1411 Kbps

I was speaking in generally since the majority of people on this planet can't, cause they don't give a damn about sound quality - when it comes to every detail (like lossless formats or compressed ones). Other people have other hobbies, so that doesn't mean their dumb.

Quote:

2 - You where even sillier telling that you can only notice difference in the players if you have real great stuff.

This was my quote:

Like I said above: LEARN ENGLISH! - cause I never said what you stated...

This was my point with that phrase:

Quote:

I was saying that the difference between two good software players (like Foobar2000 and Lilith) can't be huge, only slightly better. If you want a huge difference you'd have to change the hardware

Quote:

4 - Don't try to rebate the other ppl arguments making up stuff like you did with me. Read my post first and think about what you are saying.

You should listen to you own advice, before saying things like this:

You made me laugh, this post was even better than the one where you need 20000000 dollars in the bank to hear the differences.
You need to have super powers, and if you don't get it you are so dumb you can distinguish a 128kbps from a wav.

Oct 3, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #75 of 505
Quote:

Originally Posted by vegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People still seem to think they can hear a difference between players
rolleyes.gif

Newcomers, if you like Lilith, then by all means use it. But don't believe these weird ideas that it will magically make your music sound better when you can already play lossless files bit-perfect in another player (is it supplying better bit-perfect data or something?
rolleyes.gif
).

There is a possibility that there really IS a difference, but if it is, either foobar or lilith is doing something wrong. I really doubt it's foobar which is wrong though.

EDIT: I REALLY don't want to hear a difference, and especially not think that lilith sounds better, but this is exactly what my placebo is telling me. I think Lilith indeed is doing something it shouldn't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back