Lightly Amped Open Cans! MDR MA900 vs DT-880 Pro 250ohm vs HD598/HD600 vs DT990 250Ohm vs ATH AD900X
Feb 23, 2013 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Trunks159

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Head-Fi'ers

You see, I recently bought some Sony MDR 1R's that sound pretty darn good. If I had any complaints, they would be with the soundstage and comfort but overall they're some pretty good cans. Now I'm looking for something to complement them, so I've found some open cans that should sound pretty good, and I just want some opinions. They don't have to be long, you can just use the poll, I'm just looking for some help.

These will be amped by a Fiio E11, and the source is an ipod 4g or galaxy player 5.0.

I like mainly:
Rock- mainly j/rock (FLOW is an example of a band)
R&B- Neyo, Bruno Mars
Hip Hop- Just Lupe Fiasco, that's it
Other- Pop, Soundtrack (Hans Zimmer), maybe some piano stuff

Sound Sig: I EQ the MDR 1R's bass down like 3db, or keep it flat, and eq the treble up 4-6db. The DT770 pro 80s have too much bass. I love treble!

Thanks Guys!

EDIT! I forgot to ad the AD900x and sr225i/325i to the poll.
Oh and I'm recycling an older thread i used before, so don't worry about the previous posts.

Feb 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #4 of 25
Those l1's are sexy for a phillips headphone! I can only speak for what I have tried/own which is the mdr1. They are my go to on the go headphone. They are light, durable, and sound great for the price IMO. I love the detachable cable because I can use a custom cable on it rather then being stuck with whats already given to you. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM Post #5 of 25
Those l1's are sexy for a phillips headphone! I can only speak for what I have tried/own which is the mdr1. They are my go to on the go headphone. They are light, durable, and sound great for the price IMO. I love the detachable cable because I can use a custom cable on it rather then being stuck with whats already given to you. 

Do they have replaceable ear pads?

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #7 of 25
There are some pictures in the review section with the earpads off, so at least that's a start. I don't see why Sony wouldn't provide spare earpads later on.

May 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #10 of 25
My other vote goes to the 

[size=1.7em] Audio-Technica ATH-AD900X[/size]

May 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #13 of 25
hmmm seems like people dont like the hd598s too much, but they like the dt880s and ma900s.  Keep in mind, they will only be amped via ipod touch 4g, and fiio e6/11.  ill get the fiio x3 when it comes out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back