Light Harmonic Geek Wave
Jul 20, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #2,281 of 5,933
Geek Wave? What is that?  I remember a few years back with some talk of some dap LH was making. Was it 2 years? 3? Don't know. I think I threw money at this,( gonna have to check my account) for when I sent money to them a long, too long, very long time ago. Is this still going on??

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #2,282 of 5,933
That's probably true, at least in the public relations domain. There are crowdfunded and advance order threads here on Head Fi that are NEVER this contentious. I think it partly has to do with the gear not just being crowdfunded but, as they say, crowd designed...the discussions and changes seem to go on forever. Look at the Cavelli Liquid Carbon, or the 1946 ears threads on pre-orders (LC) and crowd funding. Never get the kind of bad feelings/hysteria/anger that I see in the threads related to LH Labs gear. They need to do a better job of keeping us in the loop (which doesn't mean a 6 month discussion on how large the screen should be...)
my $0.02, as a fairly large LH Labs supporter who's rooting for them...

Would agree that Alex has been better in the communication area, but also he came to us with pretty much a finished product (okay, it was an LC prototype - actually prototypes) versus an idea for a product and some general capabilities.

Alex also appears to have the respect of the community due to his kick-a*** products he has brought to the marketplace already, and he is also the designer/owner and primary point of communication. With LHL it's been more of a "adjust as you go" approach to the products and also the primary communication points are dispersed and not always with the designer/owner. Larry has the credibility of many of us due to his work not only  on the GO but also the Da Vinci line. If it was just him communicating, even if it was not as frequent, then I have the feeling that people would be cooler with it. However, it appears that everyone is more likely to get annoyed when it's not him communicating as the messages appear to have more of a marketing/sales spin. 

In my experience when you actually get to hear the products/prototypes (both Alex's and Larry's) they're great, but until you have the product in your own hands/system, it's easy to get annoyed by a lack of open communication. 

Cheers 

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:37 PM Post #2,283 of 5,933
Basically, you are agreeing with me, crowd design vs crowd funding (funding implies you already have the product and are getting the backing). And I agree communications could and should be much better out of LH, I can generously chock it up to beginner's mistakes. Anyway, Take care.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #2,284 of 5,933
Basically, you are agreeing with me, crowd design vs crowd funding (funding implies you already have the product and are getting the backing). And I agree communications could and should be much better out of LH, I can generously chock it up to beginner's mistakes. Anyway, Take care.

Yep! Agree with you. 

I think it also points out the greater slack we're willing to give someone who is a designer/guru versus those in the sales/marketing arenas - rightly or wrongly. 

Cheers 

Jul 20, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,285 of 5,933
Badly executed and infuriating flat out denials when things go wrong like the Verb IEMs.

What can be more infuriating than being sold a piece of rubbish and then told that it must be your ears that are the problem, the iem is exactly as designed and sounds exactly to their taste? That was just absolutely outrageous. What are they saying about 90% of their head fi customers hearing (from the last time I looked at the HF survey), and their own hearing abilities for them to have the chutzpah to make that sort of statement.

And until now they are not providing any redress for iem backers.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,286 of 5,933
Was the original campaign crowd designed? i thought they started as crows funding and that morphed into a crowd design. i thought they were complicating things too much- still somehow i contributed to like 5 different products. talking about compulsive buying-genius compaign however - dont think they will come up with that level of success again. i will never contribute to an lh campaign again.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #2,287 of 5,933
Was the original campaign crowd designed? i thought they started as crows funding and that morphed into a crowd design. i thought they were complicating things too much- still somehow i contributed to like 5 different products. talking about compulsive buying-genius compaign however - dont think they will come up with that level of success again. i will never contribute to an lh campaign again.

I was real tempted  to buy (???)  or give money now for maybe something in 6 months... a V2+ Infinity. I got so close... then woke up and remembered the $1K plus wave that I have not gotten... or the Pulse...
Anyway, they still managed to sell everything they put up in the V2 campaign.... Some folks must not remember... or have not gone through the drill.

Jul 20, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #2,288 of 5,933
Besides storage, what were the differences between the 32 and 64GB versions? I haven't been keeping up, and I have no idea what features come standard with the devices.

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #2,289 of 5,933
The Wave 32 supposedly had only one SDXC card slot and limited upgrade options. The 64 was (is) a fully fledged Wave with two SDXC card slots and most upgrades offered in the Wave Reboot campaign were applicable.

J.P.

Jul 22, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #2,290 of 5,933
Can't find the forums at lhlabs.com beta site. Did they get rid of them?
Edit: They are still up on the old site...nm

Jul 23, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #2,291 of 5,933
I am very interested in the Geek Wave, but after everything I have read with their previous products I am a little worried. I have heard great things in regards to the products themselves, it is receiving them that seems to be the issue.

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,293 of 5,933
I am very interested in the Geek Wave, but after everything I have read with their previous products I am a little worried. I have heard great things in regards to the products themselves, it is receiving them that seems to be the issue.

you sound a lot like me, except that i started looking into the wave about 6 months ago.  i backed (in for almost $1k).  if i had it to do again, i would wait for retail... and in the meantime keep an eye out for other (currently available) products that met my requirements.

buy today, and it's a large up-front sum, a lot of uncertainty, and more than a little frustration for *possibly* $200-$300 savings on the back-end (some undetermined time down the road, possibly not even this year).  to me, that's not worth it-- even if it ends up being the best DAP ever.  and that's the absolute best-case scenario.  imagine going through all that and then being disappointed by the final product (unlikely, given lhl's track record, but possible [see verb iems]).

edit: re-reading this, i really wish someone had written this very post before i got involved.

Jul 23, 2015 at 3:11 AM Post #2,294 of 5,933

you sound a lot like me, except that i started looking into the wave about 6 months ago.  i backed (in for almost $1k).  if i had it to do again, i would wait for retail... and in the meantime keep an eye out for other (currently available) products that met my requirements.

buy today, and it's a large up-front sum, a lot of uncertainty, and more than a little frustration for *possibly* $200-$300 savings on the back-end (some undetermined time down the road, possibly not even this year).  to me, that's not worth it-- even if it ends up being the best DAP ever.  and that's the absolute best-case scenario.  imagine going through all that and then being disappointed by the final product (unlikely, given lhl's track record, but possible [see verb iems]).

edit: re-reading this, i really wish someone had written this very post before i got involved.

I see that the cheapest model only saves you $100 if you get it now. I think I can deal with spending an extra $100 and being able to read some reviews first. Now I wonder if I should just stick with my DX50 until the release or look into a different DAP all together.

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2,295 of 5,933
I got a note from Gina yesterday evening. Apparently they don't want to produce the Wave 128 single ended. She basically told me that I would need to come up with $130 to go to the X (balanced) but that I would get some free upgrades.

Quote:
.   We have been in close communication With our Production house and have had to limit our PCB boards to a few select models. With this in mind, we had to pick the model with the lowest amount of backers....   (me and my NON X Wave 128)
Customer Happiness Team is offering the “Jitter-Free WiFi”  new ESS DAC Chip, and “Bluetooth” option for FREE! As a show of our appreciation for your continued support.

Of course in my case I had already paid for all of the "free" items they are throwing in. It came to approximately $224 for those items. Including  the standalone DAC option, which seems  as though it also will be standard on the X. I am sure lots of others did the same thing, but now it looks like everyone gets those "perks"  and an upgrade to the X for $130. Anyway, I guess that I got screwed. Had I not in the PerkMania mode. I could have waited, paid the $130 for the upgrade from Wave 128 to 128X, and saved myself  enough to pay for some decent IEMs...

What is curious is, I paid the $130 in May for the upgrade to the X, but even though I did it through a ticket and paid a PayPal invoice that they issued, it seems that they had no record of the transaction.
At least, when I sent her the Paypal receipt, she replied back quickly that I was good to go.

Has anyone else gotten one of these nice notes from the customer happiness team and LHL ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back