Light Harmonic Geek Out EM/1000 Impressions Thread
Apr 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #196 of 2,322
So the volume would not be reset to its maximum when using the Windows volume control? Also, will I be able to get confortable volume levels with something like the K550s or will it sound too loud whatever I do in Windows? If 10% in Windows would be the normal listening level for such cans then it would be great.

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #197 of 2,322
So the volume would not be reset to its maximum when using the Windows volume control? Also, will I be able to get confortable volume levels with something like the K550s or will it sound too loud whatever I do in Windows? If 10% in Windows would be the normal listening level for such cans then it would be great.

For max quality, you should use the GEEK Out volume control, not Windows.  And isn't messing with the system volume what causes the GEEK Out to max out?

Apr 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM Post #198 of 2,322
I want to use the Windows volume for several reasons. That is what I was asking, will I be able to use the OS volume like on ordinary combo like my Microstreamer? :)

Apr 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #199 of 2,322
Apr 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #200 of 2,322
I want to use the Windows volume for several reasons. That is what I was asking, will I be able to use the OS volume like on ordinary combo like my Microstreamer?
smily_headphones1.gif

It doesn't look like it unless LHLabs updates the firmware to fix the volume jumping to max.  Whatever your reasons, just remember that it isn't ideal from a quality standpoint.  

Apr 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #201 of 2,322
An observation about the volume control discussed in the several preceding posts; I found that adjusting the Windows volume control is the same as adjusting the "Analog 1 / Analog 2" sliders in the Light Harmonic Control Panel that was installed along with the drivers.  That is, moving the Windows volume control to about 70% also moves the Analog 1 and 2 sliders to "-4."  However, if you control the volume via the physical buttons on the Geek Out, this moves the "MASTER" slider in the Light Harmonic Control Panel.  Which one is best?  I have not done any A/B comparisons.  

Also, adjusting Windows volume does not max out (or reset) the volume.  I can restart the computer and the volume will stay where I left it.  On the other hand, if I adjust the volume via the physical buttons or the "MASTER" slider, it will reset to max the next time I restart the computer. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #202 of 2,322
I guess the age old approach of always minimizing volume on start ups and shut downs will be useful.

Apr 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #203 of 2,322
  An observation about the volume control discussed in the several preceding posts; I found that adjusting the Windows volume control is the same as adjusting the "Analog 1 / Analog 2" sliders in the Light Harmonic Control Panel that was installed along with the drivers.  That is, moving the Windows volume control to about 70% also moves the Analog 1 and 2 sliders to "-4."  However, if you control the volume via the physical buttons on the Geek Out, this moves the "MASTER" slider in the Light Harmonic Control Panel.  Which one is best?  I have not done any A/B comparisons.  

Also, adjusting Windows volume does not max out (or reset) the volume.  I can restart the computer and the volume will stay where I left it.  On the other hand, if I adjust the volume via the physical buttons or the "MASTER" slider, it will reset to max the next time I restart the computer. 

Interesting. Possibly the driver controls the volume via the digital attenuator in the Geek rather than changing the bitstream. If so there is no disadvantage to control it via Windows. Would be nice to get the word from LH. Then again a simple manual supplied by LH would eliminate any guesswork.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #204 of 2,322
Just tried the GO 1000 with Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Alphas. Fantastic clarity and detail with plenty of power. You can really hear the difference between recordings and mixes. The HD-600s are more euphonic which can help some recordings. A great device for both headphones.

No volume jumping to max issues when using OSX and Audirvana+. I hope to get a long day of listening in at work tomorrow.

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #205 of 2,322
Just tried the GO 1000 with Mr. Speakers Mad Dog Alphas. Fantastic clarity and detail with plenty of power. You can really hear the difference between recordings and mixes. The HD-600s are more euphonic which can help some recordings. A great device for both headphones.

No volume jumping to max issues when using OSX and Audirvana+. I hope to get a long day of listening in at work tomorrow.

I was worried about the volume jump having read so many people referring to it so I've been leaving the Audirvana+ volume dial and max whilst adjusting the volume from track to track or album to album using the Geek 1000. It's not very practical in terms of not just reach to the Geek but the Geek runs real hot, very hot.

So based on what you wrote, I reduce the volume on the Geek using the button to real soft, then use the Audirvana+ volume dial to reduce volume but when I dial this back to max the volume, the level is higher than where I left it. As long as it's not a volume jump per se, I'm okay with this. A jump would have been disconcerting as I listen to music at loud levels.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:18 AM Post #206 of 2,322
Ok so I've seen some contradictory reports here and more confused than ever before. Can the Geek's volume be controled Windows only without any volume jumps and without ever touching the Geek's volume controls?
I know that the Windows volume control sometimes reduces quality but I might end up using the Geek on a desktop sometimes and it will be pretty much impossible to change the volume from the buttons.

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #207 of 2,322
  Interesting. Possibly the driver controls the volume via the digital attenuator in the Geek rather than changing the bitstream. If so there is no disadvantage to control it via Windows. Would be nice to get the word from LH. Then again a simple manual supplied by LH would eliminate any guesswork.

i use UAPP on my nexus 7 with a meridian explorer.
in UAPP setup, i have options to have the volume slider control 1) software or 2) DAC h/w

Apr 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #208 of 2,322

Thanks and good to hear. I just ordered my Alpha Dogs and GO 1000 last week for my MacbookPro and Audirvana+. Geat reviews and posts!

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #209 of 2,322
Got a nice reply from LH to my post on Geek Force:
------
Hi,
Thanks for your concern... And sorry that our manual is not clearly enough. Geek out DAC will get the volume setting information from the computer EVERY TIME when it plug into your computer.
So the best way to do it is, setting right volume in your computer. It should remember that settings with Geek Out devices. So next time, your Geek Out will set to the right volume level.
Changing volume by buttons on Geek Out won't get any permanent settings to your computer. So when ever you plug in to computer, the volume setting will be reset to maximum by your computer...
Hope my explanation is clear enough. :)

-----
Long story short, control volume only from your OS and not from the device itself.

Apr 11, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #210 of 2,322
Thanks for posting this.
This is however different from what Mike experienced. He said that whenever he used the OS volume the GEEK reverted to max volume.
Strange...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back