Life span of Cartridge/Table?
Nov 1, 2007 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Feebleminded

New Head-Fier
Well Head-fi...I took the plunge and purchased a turn table off of Audiogon today. I've had a collection of Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and all the classics that I acquired a while ago and I couldn't stand listening to CD's of them when the real deal was just sitting there
eggosmile.gif

I had a few questions about my setup. First of all, I bought a Music Hall MMF-5 with a NAD PP1. The seller said that the table had about 330 hours on it, and I was wondering if this was high for the table/cartridge. I was hoping to get an idea of how much life the cartridge has left in it before I have to replace the stylus, or the whole thing. It still has the stock Goldring 1012 cartridge btw. Additionally, how long will a table like the MMF last? Will it go out of "true" with time? (as in it starts wobbling or doesn't turn at a constant speed)

Another thing...Are there any mods for the NAD PP1 to "hotrod it" or is it a lost cause? I originally intended to build a bugle, but the NAD came with the table. How does the NAD compare to bugle? Apart from that, let me know if there is anything I need to do to care for my table/records. I will give you my initial impressions when it arrives in a few days
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 12
When I first got into the 'vinyl experience' ( a long time ago) like others we were only into the music and other things and cartridge life did'nt figure at all.

So I'm glad to see newbies asking all the right questions - at the beginning, not after they havenaffed all their vinyl.

330 hours equates to about 2hours per day = less than 6 months use. Normally a cartrdige should last ITRO 2 years - so I doubt it will need changing yet.

Turtables if set-up properly and I can't emphasize that enough, will last a long,long time. There are two things you must get right for the longevity of your vinyl system and LPs - a very good wall shelf or a very heavy floor based platform - this last as heavy as possible and it must be absolutely level - check across the platter in all directions - near enough is no good, it must be spot on.

Get this right and think about how you can improve sonics later - ie. are you happy with the plater mat, the TT feet etc.

Do these two things and then - hang loose (chill out) and just enjoy the music - after all that's what it's all about.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 12
Agreed. Most cartridge manufacturers will spec a life to their stylus/needle, which is most often 1,000 of use. In some cartridges the stylus is replaceable, but in many audiophile cartridges today, including all moving coil cartridges, the whole thing must be replaced (always a good upgrade opportunity
smily_headphones1.gif
)

As for the turntable, I am using a 20 year old Denon DP-59L which works absolutely just as well as the day it was made. A little care, as Black Stuart indicated, and the deck itself can last a VERY long time.

Nov 1, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 12
330 hours is less than an hour per day for a year; that table should be just nicely broken in. Make sure you set it up level and isolate it the best you can from structural vibrations. Never hurts to check and see that the cartridge is properly installed and tracking at the recommended weight. Make sure your belt is clean and in good shape and that its drive surfaces are clean and clear. With good clean electromechnical connections to a pre-amp properly matched to your cartridge, you should be good to go. Modern quality turntables are designed to give good service for decades. Additionally, I have really appreciated how the VPI 16.6 wet record cleaner I got several years ago cleaned up my vinyl and how LAST's record preservative kept things sweet.

Nov 1, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Additionally, I have really appreciated how the VPI 16.6 wet record cleaner I got several years ago cleaned up my vinyl and how LAST's record preservative kept things sweet.

HUGE x2 on that one. It was only after getting a VPI 16 vacuum record cleaner that I realized just how clean and quiet records could be.

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do these two things and then - hang loose (chill out) and just enjoy the music - after all that's what it's all about.

I will see what I can do as far as isolating the system from residual vibrations. Unfortunately I am renting at the moment so I can't tie something directly into the wall. I might try to set up some sort of dampering system so that when someone walks across the floor the vibrations aren't transfered to the table. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have really appreciated how the VPI 16.6 wet record cleaner I got several years ago cleaned up my vinyl and how LAST's record preservative kept things sweet.

I haven't been able to find much information on the VPI 16.6. Is it a machine that you buy, or is it a kit of some sort? That LAST solution seams rather expensive, but would using that theoretically increase the life of my collection?

Nov 1, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Feebleminded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't been able to find much information on the VPI 16.6. Is it a machine that you buy, or is it a kit of some sort? That LAST solution seams rather expensive, but would using that theoretically increase the life of my collection?

It's a machine with a heavy duty turntable and a wet vacuum. Nitty Gritty also makes wet cleaning machines, but I preferred the VPI for its design and construction. The VPI turntable motor is heavy enough to turn the LP against the force of cleaning it unlike your playing turntable. You clamp your LP onto the platter, apply a wet cleaning solution, work the solution into the grooves with a record cleaning brush (included), and vacuum off the dissolved crud and corruption. You only have to wet clean your LPs once unless they get very dirty.

When the record is clean, you apply the Last preservative. This serves as a lubricant preservative to minimize the mechanical abrasion of the LP surface by your stylus when the record is played. The treatment lasts the life of the LP.

The combination of wet cleaning and preserving maximizes the life of a valuable and largely irreplaceable resource in your record collection.

If you get yourself a round bubble level of the type used to level RV refrigerators at a good hardware store, you can level you turntable in all planes at once.

Nov 1, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #8 of 12
I hope this LAST stuff is'nt like Permostat - anyone remember that.

It was supposed to protect the LP from static forever. Well it did it's job for a while but then it began to breakdown and ended up on the stylus - I rue the day I bought it.

Luckily I have an ultrasonic stylus cleaner but that only takes care of the stylus.

A resounding yes to a vacuum cleaning machine and yes to quality plastic lined record sleeves - not all sure about putting anything on the vinyl, Permostat saw to that.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 12
LAST is an excellent product - I have used it for 20 years with excellent results.

Nov 2, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #10 of 12
Here are some threads on another forum related to this.

There have been times when I went to put on a record and found I left the turnable spinning since last time. Turntables seem to me to go for ever:-

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23641

I once worked in a record factory with many turntables for quality control, and never saw stylus wear playing vinyl. Account here:-

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=21884

A general discussion on stylus wear:-

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22854

Nov 2, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 12
i got the same table (new) about 6 months ago and am still amazed with the quality, it is incredible.

i'm not so sure if i'm happy with the bellari phono i got with it but haven't really had anything to compare it to. has anyone used the bellari? any thoughts?

Nov 3, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmy_t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the same table (new) about 6 months ago and am still amazed with the quality, it is incredible.

You are making waiting on FedEx tough! I just bought a used Rotel RA-972 integraded amp today for $200 to power my speakers. I am pretty happy with it, but I was wondering if I payed a fair price. I will be using it temporarily as my headphone amp until I can find someone with a spare Millett Hybrid Maxed pcb from the group buy. So if you have one please PM me!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back