Life after Yggdrasil?
Feb 28, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,036 of 1,366
I just wish that someone would compare the Yggy to a Lampizator Golden Gate or Big 7, as I have an Yggy and was wondering if the Lampi's might just beat it.

Indeed. At Yggy level you're better off spending on suitable amp & transducer combinations. I see you're using the HD800, and unless it's modded you could likely do much better than that. And at the Yggy-pricing points, you would even start considering speakers, if feasible.

I have on good word that Lampizators are not great, below Yggy performance for sure.
Take it or leave it, imo ymmv. 

I've heard the same. Stick with a Yggdrasil.

I hate to be the naysayer, but... First off, if there are weaknesses in the signal chain then by all means upgrade those first. That said, everyone is piling on to say keep the Yggy without even having heard the Lampizator? Because you have it on good word? I'm sorry but this is poor advice. By all means, 333jeffery, audition the other options yourself and if you find they are more compelling then don't hesitate to switch out the Yggy.

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,037 of 1,366
I'm sorry but this is poor advice. By all means, @333jeffery, audition the other options yourself and if you find they are more compelling then don't hesitate to switch out the Yggy.

Whoops, forgot guys, internet forums exist only to circlejerk, not for the collective experience and advice from various users. 
Furthering that concept, all advice or impressions in written form is invalid. The only way to tell if X product is better than Y product is hearing it yourself, god speed brothers. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,038 of 1,366
Just wanted to mention that my father owns a Lampizator lite 7 and we listen to it practically everyday! He was considering the Yggdrasil but ultimately went for the Lampi. It's an excellent dac that produces a smooth, organic ,and engaging sound. It may not be to everyones tastes but it shouldn't be dismissed outright.

Paddy Carroll of headphone.guru wrote a review of Yggdrasil, here is what he said:

"Some of the DACs that I have heard in the last 3 years include Arcams IRdac, Eximus DP1, Arcam FMJ D33, Chord Hugo, Bricasti M1, Lampizator Level 4 and Big 7. These were all products that I auditioned in search of a companion for my Woo Audio WA5. In my opinion the Yggdrasil bests them all with the exception of the Lampizator Big 7."

http://headphone.guru/schiit-yggdrasil/

This doesn't mean you should take his word as gospel, it's just one mans opinion. His opinion is just as valid as everyone elses on here. 

beerchug.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #1,039 of 1,366
Whoops, forgot guys, internet forums exist only to circlejerk, not for the collective experience and advice from various users. 
Furthering that concept, all advice or impressions in written form is invalid. The only way to tell if X product is better than Y product is hearing it yourself, god speed brothers. 

If you have more information than having it on "good word" then please share that.

Feb 28, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #1,040 of 1,366
If you have more information than having it on "good word" then please share that.

No, actually take a look at @maxh22 post right above yours, this is the proper way to respond to the question @333jeffery had.
Instead of attacking others opinions, which everything on here is, he just ignored that, and gave a counter point, and article. 

Is he wrong, idk, am I, idk, yet we both have the ability to give our own subjective inputs without dismissing others as "I'm sorry but this is poor advice."

Thanks, any time anybody says anything relating to their own impression I'll simply post "I'm sorry but this is poor advice". Good show sir, way to keep the info flowing. 

Also, I can parrot advice all I want. If somebody determined 1+2 = 3, and I parrot that, does it make me wrong?
To further it, does this mean somebody can only talk on things they have personally heard themselves, they can't provide advice to other based on trusted feedback they've had?

I mean what are you trying to say at the central point, I'm right, you're wrong, bad advice?
Why not just post your impression like Maxh22 without the ego. 

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #1,042 of 1,366
comzee Sorry if you're taking offense, but this has nothing to do with someone being right or wrong. The general advice to stick with the Yggy without any supporting discussion of the other DAC in question is what I found objectionable.

Wouldn't you agree that comparisons of different DACs should be done to determine which sounds better?

And first hand accounts of comparisons are more useful than generalized vague statements that something is better than something else especially when it is a third-party opinion.

In any case, enjoy your gear.

Feb 28, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #1,043 of 1,366
I haven't seen a response from 333jeffery about whether there's something that doesn't quite 'click' for him/her in Yggy's performance. I think that would be useful information. I do infer though from 333jeffery's wording - "...might just beat..." - that he/she is happy to pursue even small increments. And this is absolutely fine.

Whilst TimeLord you have a point - great stuff you've been doing through time and space BTW; keep it up! - I think the bulk of responses here merely express the findings of this thread. To wit, Yggy is better than almost everything that was auditioned here, as good as a very few, and not quite as good as one or two. IOW, Yggy's pretty good. One might - if one were a statistician - infer Yggy is "likely to be" better than Lampi but of course we don't know at all without a true comparison.

Even then, we're talking about subjective shades of difference and preference...hence why there are so many DACs in the world :)

Now - given the OP has ended his journey - it may be the question would have been better put in a new thread? As Lampi wasn't tested against Yggy here and is not going to be, there's little more than opinion to offer.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #1,044 of 1,366
I've had an Yggy in my main system for about 2 years now, and like it very much. I already upgraded my speakers, amp, transport and cables. I see a lot of glowing praise for the Lampi's, and just wondered if they may offer a decent improvement over the Yggy. Specifically, do the Lampi's offer better/more resolving power than the Yggy? I sometimes feel that I am not getting all the fine details from a recording, and wondered if my dac was the issue.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #1,045 of 1,366
  I've had an Yggy in my main system for about 2 years now, and like it very much. I already upgraded my speakers, amp, transport and cables. I see a lot of glowing praise for the Lampi's, and just wondered if they may offer a decent improvement over the Yggy. Specifically, do the Lampi's offer better/more resolving power than the Yggy? I sometimes feel that I am not getting all the fine details from a recording, and wondered if my dac was the issue.

If there are details in the recording, Yggy is as likely to dig them out as any other DAC. In fact, Yggy keeps more of the original data than any other DAC I am aware of because of the frequency-domain optimized digital filter with a true closed-form solution. No samples are thrown away.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #1,046 of 1,366
Just wanted to mention that my father owns a Lampizator lite 7 and we listen to it practically everyday! He was considering the Yggdrasil but ultimately went for the Lampi. It's an excellent dac that produces a smooth, organic ,and engaging sound. It may not be to everyones tastes but it shouldn't be dismissed outright.

Paddy Carroll of headphone.guru wrote a review of Yggdrasil, here is what he said:

"Some of the DACs that I have heard in the last 3 years include Arcams IRdac, Eximus DP1, Arcam FMJ D33, Chord Hugo, Bricasti M1, Lampizator Level 4 and Big 7. These were all products that I auditioned in search of a companion for my Woo Audio WA5. In my opinion the Yggdrasil bests them all with the exception of the Lampizator Big 7."

http://headphone.guru/schiit-yggdrasil/

This doesn't mean you should take his word as gospel, it's just one mans opinion. His opinion is just as valid as everyone elses on here. 

:beerchug:

+1

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #1,047 of 1,366

Good info :beerchug:

I really have no view one way or the other. Just some thoughts...detail never occurred to me as a potential lack for Yggy, but TBH I have no benchmark for comparison other than my several other, cheaper DACs. It significantly outperforms them, but the word I'd prefer to use is 'information' rather than 'detail'. Yggy does other stuff - sound-stage, precise spatiality, timbre, reverb etc - that adds so much to the experience that at times it really is "night and day".

I'm sure you already know about all this, yet something feels like it's missing...

My only other thought - only because I've seen others (not me) pursue it - is your source?

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #1,048 of 1,366
I'm much too lazy, and far too uninspired to write it up at this point (beyond which, vinyl has me fully consumed right now), but I've heard a couple of different Lampizator units since my last formal "impressions" post in this thread (I'd have to look up specifically which), but I was not inspired enough to warrant the time to post about what I heard.

Suffice it to say that my first-post lack of enthusiasm for Lampizator hasn't been shifted by what I've heard so far.

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #1,049 of 1,366
I'm much too lazy, and far too uninspired to write it up at this point (beyond which, vinyl has me fully consumed right now), but I've heard a couple of different Lampizator units since my last formal "impressions" post in this thread (I'd have to look up specifically which), but I was not inspired enough to warrant the time to post about what I heard.

Suffice it to say that my first-post lack of enthusiasm for Lampizator hasn't been shifted by what I've heard so far.

I don't think you know the meaning of the word lazy, Torq.

Your posts in this thread are stunning for all the right reasons...

Very many grateful thanks. :cool:

Mar 1, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #1,050 of 1,366
I just started reading this thread. And I think this has been one of the best and informative DAC threads on head-fi. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back