Life after Yggdrasil?
Feb 1, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #1,322 of 1,366
@Torq May I know what's your primary DAC now?

In my headphone rig an M-Scaler fed Chord DAVE:

HMS + DAVE + Utopia (1024).jpg

In my speaker rig, the latest Linn Klimax DSM.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #1,325 of 1,366
Have you been able to test the M-Scaler with the other DACs?

Yep, though doing so critically has not been my focus so far - i.e. it's mostly been to see if there is a) a discernible difference and b) a coarse assessment of, when there is, if its better or not.

But, I've tried it with the Yggdrasil A2, Chord Qutest and Hugo 2, RME ADI-2 DAC, the built-in DAC in the Phonitor X, my Linn DS unit, and number of other units that I'm too lazy to list. In general, my limited and basic testing so far, leads me to say for me that it's not worth doing if the DAC both a) can't take the maximum rate output for the connection type in use (e.g. 352.8 and 384 kHz for one BNC connection) AND b) will do its own upsampling/filtering from that source anyway. So, for example, Yggdrasil can "only" be fed at up to 192 kHz, so you can't run the M-Scaler at its maximum capacity even on a single link. And then Yggdrasil upsamples that 192 kHz input to 384 kHz (or 352.8 for 44.1 kHz base-rate material) and runs it through its' mega-combo-burrito filter.

The end result is that I prefer Yggdrasil A2 without the M-Scaler.

I prefer Hugo 2, Qutest and DAVE with the M-Scaler. Though I personally think DAVE on its own still sounds better than either the Qutest or the Hugo with an M-Scaler.

Curiously the RME ADI-2 DAC benefitted being fed by the M-Scaler, which I did not expect at all, though I certainly couldn't say that's a sensible pairing ...

I expect that DACs that do not upsample beyond a certain point (or at all) - that is at, or lower, than the data rate they can accept from the M-Scaler, will likely see a bigger difference, and are more likely to be improved by the use of one.

If unable to get a demo of the M-Scaler with the specific DAC you want to use it with, you could use something like HQPlayer to see how much upsampling and custom filter affect your DAC before spending the $4,955 on the HMS. It won't be apples to apples as the methods and filters employed are different. But if you can't hear a difference with HQPlayer and aggressive upsampling and complex filtering feeding your DAC then I suspect the effect of the M-Scaler will be somewhat subdued in that case too.

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #1,327 of 1,366
Hi @Torq,
Thanks for all your input on DACs - I was wondering if you've spent much time with any of the TotalDACs and what you think of them vs. the Dave and Dave + M-Scaler

I've heard a couple of the TotalDAC products at enough length, in a familiar enough system, to say that I like them but they're still not for me. On their lower end, what was the d1-Dual (I don't know what/how that relates to the current nomenclature/model-range) was less convincing to me, especially at it's asking price, than the original Yggdrasil. The current A2/G5 revision would be even better ... and for 1/5th the price. DAVE, on its own, would also handily beat that - albeit then at a higher price.

On the high/TOTL/flagshp end of things ... the M-Scaler fed DAVE is currently the best digital audio reproduction I've heard. Bar none. This includes models I've looked at previously as well as recent stuff from MSB and dCS and various other exotica. I'll get around to writing up those comparisons at some point, but right now I'm too busy just enjoying the music.

Your mileage may vary.

Apr 10, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #1,328 of 1,366
I've heard a couple of the TotalDAC products at enough length, in a familiar enough system, to say that I like them but they're still not for me. On their lower end, what was the d1-Dual (I don't know what/how that relates to the current nomenclature/model-range) was less convincing to me, especially at it's asking price, than the original Yggdrasil. The current A2/G5 revision would be even better ... and for 1/5th the price. DAVE, on its own, would also handily beat that - albeit then at a higher price.

On the high/TOTL/flagshp end of things ... the M-Scaler fed DAVE is currently the best digital audio reproduction I've heard. Bar none. This includes models I've looked at previously as well as recent stuff from MSB and dCS and various other exotica. I'll get around to writing up those comparisons at some point, but right now I'm too busy just enjoying the music.

Your mileage may vary.

Was the Totaldac on a headphones or on stereo system? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #1,329 of 1,366
Was the Totaldac on a headphones or on stereo system? Thanks.

Both.

The TotalDAC was more notably behind on the speaker systems involved as it delivered a less convincing, less concrete/stable and less precise stage/image than the Linn, Chord and Schiit sources it was compared to. Headphone systems generally lack the spatial dimensionality (particularly depth) of a properly setup speaker rig, so the race is a bit closer there.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Apr 11, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #1,330 of 1,366
I have a serious question. I see this is in the high end forum. I also see many people have high end components and also schiit items. I was wondering if schiit is actually considered high end?
I mean the stuff costs almost nothing. If cost is to be an indicator of high end. It does not have to be so I was wondering. I thought it was very entry level stuff? I see people here have asgard. I would be very interested in one if it is not just a very entry level amp? Again, I am being serious as I have no clue. Thank you

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:07 AM Post #1,331 of 1,366
I have a serious question. I see this is in the high end forum. I also see many people have high end components and also schiit items. I was wondering if schiit is actually considered high end?
I mean the stuff costs almost nothing. If cost is to be an indicator of high end. It does not have to be so I was wondering. I thought it was very entry level stuff? I see people here have asgard. I would be very interested in one if it is not just a very entry level amp? Again, I am being serious as I have no clue. Thank you

Schiit has high end products & entry level products like most audiophile companies.

Apr 11, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #1,332 of 1,366

IMO, they are more like mid-end. And if you don’t have a clue, start doing the work - more reading and research.

Apr 11, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #1,333 of 1,366
If it "costs almost nothing", why not try them out physically? The 15 day return policy isn't too bad and you get to audition how Schiit products integrate in your environment.

Apr 11, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #1,334 of 1,366
I can't imagine how Asgard can be any good but yes, I will go try it. What the heck I don't mind. I see on page before this Asgard sitting under a very good valve amp so.... The secret is out of the bag!

Apr 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,335 of 1,366
Life after Yggdrasil... thinking about it now....
My current system is an Yggy v1 fed by a Singxer F1 + Taurus Mk2. I'm considering the Chord TT2 instead. My only concern is that it doesn't have an XLR4 output... the difference on the taurus between the 2 outputs was quite striking.
I've settled with the Elear since its release but am also considering upgrading to the Stellia, closed back being more suitable with a baby around :wink:
Thoughts on the upgrade avenues? headphone 1st or DAC+Amp? and if the latter, what DAC+amp combo should be considered if not a TT2 (within more or less the same budget)?
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back