LH Labs Verb IEM Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 308
Well, my blue Verbs will have another 70 hours on them by the time I get another chance to listen to them (tomorrow afternoon). I am curious if I will hear a difference. I am leaving the black ones alone, except for a few minutes of comparative listening against the blue Verbs that are being run in.

J.P.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 308
Repost from comments on the LH forum:

Alright, so I've spent some hours with these trying to figure out exactly what the problem is with the unpleasant, overpowering bass. Here's what I've tried:

* button trick = no change

* re-seating the connector = no change

* multiple devices = no change

* different ear tips = no change (only one will stay in my ears at all)

* positioning = bass is more pleasant when IEMs are half removed from my ears, but other frequencies suffer

* volume = volume at just above an audible level sounds alright, bass is overstated but not to the point of distortion (at regular listening levels - appropriate, not blaring - overbearing bass destroys any musicality)

* music = the less bass in a song, the better they sound (violin trio - sounds great, rock w/ bass guitar/female vocals - sub-par (Mariah Carey vocals sounded like she had throat cancer), metal w/ double bass drum - un-listenable)

* EQ = I was able to get a reasonably clean sound by severely cutting most of the lower frequencies (at the expense of...not having any low frequencies)

Conclusion: It seems to me that one issue may be related to the tuning. i didn't have time to narrow it down, but the overpowering bass seemed to come from a specific frequency (resonance), drowning out and distorting the rest of what would otherwise be an acceptable offering. Not sure that this helps anyone, but it's the best I'm able to objectively describe what I'm experiencing without just saying that they aren't good IEMs or that the sound signature isn't for me. Without this very specific and unfortunate bass issue, they would probably be worth the MSRP. With it, they don't sound like they are functioning as intended (resonance/borderline distortion), therefore preference for a specific sound signature is irrelevant and I wouldn't recommend them even at the initial price.

Mar 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #18 of 308
That's interesting, don't find the bass overwhelming at all, after about 4 days burn in found them open, bass there and sufficient but not excessive to my ears. Manufacturing variability? (I think there is more of this than people think, that and fit issues explain to me why people can hear the same gear so differently, leaving out insanity...)

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 308
Mine have a large channel imbalance and sound hollow on every source I have. I believe mine are defective.

Sounds defective, time to open up a ticket (fun, fun, fun...):D

Mar 16, 2015 at 8:49 PM Post #21 of 308
How do we know if LHlabs have delivered ours, or when they will be starting the delivery? I've ordered mine on Cyber Monday, but the only contact I had with them was when they had the survey on the colour I wanted. 

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #22 of 308
Burning them in seems to make a big difference to some people, so that is something else to consider.

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #23 of 308
Burning them in seems to make a big difference to some people, so that is something else to consider.

I found a 4-5 day break in to change them dramatically, from "huh, this is a high end iem?", to ones that I'd consider worth the "asking" or projected list price. That's me, of course...

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 308
How do we know if LHlabs have delivered ours, or when they will be starting the delivery? ...

Well... you will know they have delivered yours when you are holding them in your hand. They have been shipping the Geek IEM for a couple of weeks now. As I remember, they had a total of about 1600 ordered and as of the end of last week they had shipped about 1000. It just takes time to ship this many items. I suspect that all should be shipped by the end of next week.

J.P.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #25 of 308
My IEMs have about 90 hours run in time now. They still sound like crap. I am still refining the EQ for them. I haven't got it quite right yet, but so far I have:

30Hz at -7dB
64Hz at -8.5dB
125Hz at -9dB
250Hz at -7dB
500Hz at -1dB
1KHz at 0dB
2KHz at +2dB
5500Hz at -3dB
8K and 16KHz at +2dB

With this EQ they sound okay but still a bit thick. My several years old Thinksound Rain sound much better. The Verb has the advantage of being much more comfortable in the ears. Unfortunately for the Verb, a 9dB hump somewhere around 125Hz is HUGE and my phone which I had hoped to use these with does not have the EQ necessary to make them sound not horrible. You certainly should not have to EQ any set of headphones like this to just make them listenable.

If this is manufacturing variability then it is all over the place and tending toward bass heavy. According to the survey at the top of this thread, about 1 in 6 are good.

Not that I can afford to throw $78 away (2 IEMs), but this is not a horrible loss even though it is rather irritating and disappointing coming from a company that purports to care deeply about sound quality. This is certainly NOT Larry's sound! I sincerely hope that the IEM-X has a MUCH BETTER sound profile and far more consistent production quality as I have three sets of these coming and cannot afford to throw away $207! I do hope that this excess indulgence is not totally wasted.

J.P.

Mar 16, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 308
Well... you will know they have delivered yours when you are holding them in your hand. They have been shipping the Geek IEM for a couple of weeks now. As I remember, they had a total of about 1600 ordered and as of the end of last week they had shipped about 1000. It just takes time to ship this many items. I suspect that all should be shipped by the end of next week.

J.P.

Thanks for the info! Seems like at least things are moving along!

I'm not impatient or anything since they were never meant to be my primary IEM (and seeing some of the reviews currently out there, might never be :x). I was just unsure of the timeline. 

Kind of regret not getting the IEM-X though, as I am now likely to get an AK100ii. Damn......

Mar 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #27 of 308
My IEMs have about 90 hours run in time now. They still sound like crap. I am still refining the EQ for them. I haven't got it quite right yet, but so far I have:

30Hz at -7dB
64Hz at -8.5dB
125Hz at -9dB
250Hz at -7dB
500Hz at -1dB
1KHz at 0dB
2KHz at +2dB
5500Hz at -3dB
8K and 16KHz at +2dB

With this EQ they sound okay but still a bit thick. My several years old Thinksound Rain sound much better. The Verb has the advantage of being much more comfortable in the ears. Unfortunately for the Verb, a 9dB hump somewhere around 125Hz is HUGE and my phone which I had hoped to use these with does not have the EQ necessary to make them sound not horrible. You certainly should not have to EQ any set of headphones like this to just make them listenable.

If this is manufacturing variability then it is all over the place and tending toward bass heavy. According to the survey at the top of this thread, about 1 in 6 are good.

Not that I can afford to throw $78 away (2 IEMs), but this is not a horrible loss even though it is rather irritating and disappointing coming from a company that purports to care deeply about sound quality. This is certainly NOT Larry's sound! I sincerely hope that the IEM-X has a MUCH BETTER sound profile and far more consistent production quality as I have three sets of these coming and cannot afford to throw away $207! I do hope that this excess indulgence is not totally wasted.

J.P.

It is kind of odd that they'd put out something with a big bass hump, but at $39, it's probably hard to find anything that has an even SS....I think the X are supposed to have a flatter, more audiophile-like tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back